in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-10-2010 8:29 AM by Vienna. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-09-2010 3:21 PM

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

NON B&O speaker question

My neighbours sister has a pair of Quad electrostatic speakers which have been in storage & no longer produce any sound. I have no experience whatsoever with this speaker design & you guys are the people I know who may have some advice.

I haven't seen them yet but thought I'd ask here first before inviting them into my home. Is it worth me having a look at them pending someone who could help?

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-09-2010 3:30 PM In reply to

Re: NON B&O speaker question

Gorgeous speakers - however not simple! Quad will service them still and this is probably your best option if you are planning on selling them - they make very good prices. Frede has ESL63s I think and he services Quad equipment - postage might be an issue though!

• 07-09-2010 3:35 PM In reply to

Chris,

I am not terribly familiar w/ Quad ESL speakers, nor ESL's in general. I have, however, done some legwork in the past on magneto/electro speakers when considering Magnepans and especially, Bertagnis. I seem to have come to the conclusion, perhaps wrongly, that they can be rather "delicate" or "fragile" compared to what we are used to. They didn't seem to be prone to take repairs well, short of exchanging for NOS parts, which can be hard to come by. What I did like about them was the "thinking outside the box" designs both acoustically and aesthetically that the ESL technology afforded the designers.

Here is a site for further reading especially w/ regards to maintenance of the Quad ESL's.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-09-2010 3:40 PM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hi,

I suppose you did plug them to the wall and feed them with 240 V then? Big Smile

Jacques

Jacques

• 07-09-2010 3:57 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

chartz:

Hi,

I suppose you did plug them to the wall and feed them with 240 V then? Big Smile

Jacques

I haven't even SEEN them yet but judging by the positive responses so far I'll get them round to my gaff & see where we go from there.  Thanks for the replies so far, it seems like they are worth saving. A quick google tells me these aren't cheap!

Jaff I agree with your "out of the box" comment & I've often wondered about this technology but never really looked ito it. Looks like that is gonna changeBig Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-09-2010 4:31 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:

Jaff I agree with your "out of the box" comment & I've often wondered about this technology but never really looked ito it. Looks like that is gonna changeBig Smile

Chris.

I've had a pair of DIY electrostatics (by someone else, along with a tube power amp) standing behind my chair at the office for at least two years. I have no power supplies for them, and the membranes are most likely shot - which is why I haven't bothered building the PSUs, and why the whole project is waiting for a round tuit... so I guess I'm an expert on ESLs Big Smile

But do fix those Quads one way or another. They are definite classics, and sound mindblasting! It's been a while but I think the time I heard them was in some control room / recording studio at our national broadcasting company. Some relic from old times, these locations are now typically crowded by Genelecs...

-mika

• 07-09-2010 6:09 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Medogsfat:

I'd ask here first before inviting them into my home

Passion will be necessary!

Owned two pairs of them in the 70s - configured as "Double (stacked) Quads"
    Smile  I've to find, scan & post the old polaroids.

Delicate speakers in every sense - critical to position - the exact opposite of a BLb5.
    Somehow like a F1 car - only a perfec set up will give you a fascinating performance.

• 07-10-2010 2:14 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Medogsfat:

chartz:

Hi,

Jacques

I haven't even SEEN them yet 

Yes. Maybe your neighbour's daughter tried them but she didn't know these needed power to work! Maybe they are perfectly alright!

Good luck!

Jacques

Jacques

• 07-10-2010 8:29 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Medogsfat:

I haven't even SEEN them yet but judging by the positive responses so far I'll get them round to my gaff & see where we go from there.  Thanks for the replies so far, it seems like they are worth saving. A quick google tells me these aren't cheap!

The picture shows "Double (stacked) Quads" and the custom made assembly frame  

It's quite funny to see the shift in your own priorities during the last decades -  those days
    a 15" Sony TV but substantial speakers & amps ... 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)