in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-01-2009 3:33 PM by chucky. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-21-2009 9:13 AM

Which Rear Speakers for blu-rays?

Hi All,

Although it is early, having finally got some BeoLab 9s for the front, I am pre-planning my next purchase of some speakers. I usually dream and drool about things months before I actually get them, so it is now time to give me something to dream about :)

The question is that in previous forums posts, people recommended the BL4000 or BL6000 as rears. Some say that BL3s are over kill etc etc. Since these posts might have been written some time ago, can I re-ask the question as to whether the BL3s would be really beneficial for bluray movies? Or would the situation not change...

I am split over the BL6000/4000 as it is, but I'm wondering if the BL3 would add anything more. Also, whilst listening to the radio or CDs/MP3s, is it worth having the BL3s as rears, or should I keep the setting to SOUND 2 in order to avoid activating the rear sound for songs.

Thanks!

• 09-21-2009 10:07 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Re: Which Rear Speakers for blu-rays?

Hi Timhana;

I have BL9's as front's and BL3 as rears and I have to say that I feel like my BL3's are wasted. I don't have BR though, but I don0t believe it will be significantly different. I would favor the BL6000's, its sleek shape make them better looking thatn the BL4000's, imho. You have to consider also what kind og furniture you've got next to your viewing point. If you have a sofa with to tables on each side, you may want to go for BL4000 or even BL4's with table stands. BL3 in table stands look gorgeous but as said they are probably too much.

If you really use the speaker 4 option, you want to go for the BL3s, but I rarey use it as I find the BL9's so capable.

Gustavo

• 09-21-2009 10:48 AM In reply to

Hi Gustavo!

Thanks for your reply. I too like the BL6000s too, and I guess I don't have to use them to listen to music (SOUND 4). The right side of the couch is fine, it has loads of space, but the left side might be a problem because it is next to the wall and it is an L-shaped couch...

• 09-21-2009 1:21 PM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Unless money is an issue, I'd say go for the 3's. I don't know what TV/Centerspeaker you have, but as your frontspeakers have ALT, I would go for an all ALT setup. For aesthetic reasons and because I have an idea in my head, that the equipment used should be of the same technology.

When I bought my rears, I actually bought a couple of BL3's in stead of a pair of BL4000. A pair of aluminium 4000's would have suited my setup better, but my heart just wanted those little round BL3's Embarrassed

When all that has been said, it really is true that unless you listen to music in speaker4 mode, the rears rarely sees action, no matter where the surround signal is coming from.

• 09-21-2009 1:25 PM In reply to

Well I have a BV7-40 MK3 and BeoLab 7-4 and BeoLab 9, so yes, all ALT setup.

What would music sound like using SPEAKER 4? Isn't that going to counter the sound made by the BL9? I could understand why it would be benefitial if the speakers were in each corner of the room, but if they are only 5 meters apart (from to rear) then would SPEAKER 4 really benefit me?

Thanks

• 09-21-2009 2:25 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

If you aren't doing speaker 4 with music than I would recommend the BL6000 or the BL4000.  The BL6000s are very small in footprint and the BL4000s are terrific sounding and a great value.  I agree with Beobeo that the BL3 are probably unnecessary.  However, if I had the money I'd probably go with the BL3's for purely the aesthetics of the ALT speakers as well as the small footprint.

-Michael

• 09-29-2009 10:24 AM In reply to

From your experiences, how is listening to music on SPEAKER 4 like?

• 09-29-2009 10:59 AM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

hi,

this truly is an eternal question. i am asking myself the same... i suppose bl7-4 + bl9 + bl3 would be the perfect solution.

overkill, perhaps. expensive, certainly.

i have also been considering bl4 as the back speakers (and not using speaker 4). i prefer them simply because of their discresion. but would the sound suffer too much ?

thanks for any feedback,

scott

• 09-29-2009 11:05 AM In reply to

• SKApretto71
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Europe - Italy - Tuscany - Fucecchio
    • Posts 66
    • Founder

I'd suggest BL4000.

I do have them as rear speaker, and even listened to them alone prior to buy them, and I'm absolutely in love with them.

---

Raffaele "SKApretto n.71" Sgherri

I like Chrome and spread it!

• 09-30-2009 3:49 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

I have 5s up front and 3s for my mids with 6k in the rear

when i select speaker 4 the 3s actually get quite a bit of volume increase

also, the low end on the 5s is amplified as well. . .

something to think about

I would say get the lab 3s as well, at some point I'm going to get another

pair for my rear pair

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 10-01-2009 8:47 AM In reply to

Thanks for the comments everyone... to be honest im still not sure what to do, i guess ill have to do a demo before :s

What Im not sure about is what MUSIC @ SPEAKER 4 sounds like.... and whether it warrents the need to get the BL3s over BS4000/BL6000.... BL4????

• 10-01-2009 4:06 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

i have bl4s, they will not be enough with your 9s

if you're interested in the speaker 4 sound. . go with the 3s or some

older 4ks, i think the newer ones sound tinny and not as rich

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 10-01-2009 5:18 PM In reply to

Thanks mjmedlo. I guess I just need to check what the SPEAKER 4 with CD gives to the listener...

• 11-25-2009 9:50 PM In reply to

We have Beolab 1s as rears with Beolab 9s. I am thinking of moving the 1s to another room and using 4000s as rears. Any thoughts on 1s verses 4000s as rears?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 11-25-2009 11:36 PM In reply to

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but I've a quick question and didn't want to waste a new thread for it. Like you I've also just purchased a pair of BL 9 Big Smile and am beginning to contemplate rear speakers, in anticipation of the BV 10 which will have a surround-sound processor. Years ago I bought a pair of BL 4 PC's which I've never used. They don't have Powerlink, but they have auto on-off depending on the signal, and I've got a Powerlink-to-RCA adapter. To save money and to find some use for them, would they suffice as rears? I don't watch movies too much...

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 12-01-2009 9:01 AM In reply to

Well, knowing the fact that you have the BL9's, I would recommend you to add the BL3's to your setup, as they do still use the same Acoustic Lens technology. Then I guess the sound would be more uniform than with the BL4000's as for the rear.

By the way, I have the BL4000's for the rear, the BL8000's for the front and the BL2 for the sub. I am more than happy with that combination.  

Cheers,

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 12-01-2009 10:13 AM In reply to

Speaker 4 effectively gives you two sets of speakers playing stereo. It completely destroys the stereo image but adds body to the sound so can sound quite good. I would never listen to music in this way unless for a party. You need to listen for yourself - go to a dealer and use his listening room with music you know. Speaker 4 sound wonderful initially but sit down with something you know and decide if it is really for you.

If you are getting speakers for the rear channels, I would get the cheapest decent speakers you can. B&O speakers cost a lot! I have 4000s as rears and reckon that they are very expensive for the benefits offered. I wouldn't go for 4s though as I don't think they are good enough. Clearly the ultimate set up will be the same speaker all round but I would rather spend my time going to real live music than spending this sort of money on Beolab 9s all round!

• 12-01-2009 1:03 PM In reply to

• Teletom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

Interesting discussion. Thank you Peter for your additional information. There is still one question on my mind and I feel it is the same question Timhanna (still) has.

Assuming you have a pair of ALT front speakers (in our situation BL9's), should one go for ALT technology for the rears as well in order to get an optimum overall sound impression or should one chose any decent B&O speaker? (Hope I have put it right)   

• 12-01-2009 2:03 PM In reply to

Obviously a matter of opinion but I don't think they need to match, especially for the rear channels.

• 12-01-2009 3:05 PM In reply to

Hi All,

I have still to find the ideal (cost:performance) rear speaker! ;(

• 12-01-2009 3:33 PM In reply to

I love this. I also bought 9's and jut opend the wall to put in a pair of Beolab 3's.

Where did the beolab 2 go? No one has one in there setup but I am still missing the complete full sound. Although there is plenty of bass it doesn't fill up the room as it did when I had BL 8000 and a sub.

Chucky

Wanna play?!! (Also a PRIZEWINNER ON BEOWORLD!) 

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)