in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-12-2009 12:57 PM by ipaul. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-09-2009 4:26 PM

• djram
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2007
    • Posts 78
    • Gold Member

Crackling noise from the back of avant

I recently bought an avant 28 vcr originating from 1997. When the set is switched on and of there is a crackling sound from the back of the tube. When the TV is switched on the sound lasts for about 4 seconds and when it is switched of it lasts for about 8 seconds. The dealer says that it is not a hazard and that the TV can be used safely as it is. I was offered that a service shop could put some coating (varnish) on the eht which would solve the problem with crackling sound. Is it safe to use the TV as it is now and is the coating trick established?

Regards

Hans

• 10-09-2009 6:12 PM In reply to

Re: Crackling noise from the back of avant

no need to worry-it's meant to do that. The tv is 'degaussing' and is perfectly normal!

• 10-11-2009 3:31 PM In reply to

• djram
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2007
    • Posts 78
    • Gold Member

Thank you Simon!

Should the degaussing take place also when the TV i switched of. I tought degaussing only was on when powering up the tube. The sound is static crackle and appears to be random like the sound you get when you have a comb through the hair on a cold and dry winters day.

• 10-11-2009 3:48 PM In reply to

My 2003 RF Avant 28" crackles for a few seconds after it has been powered off. I always thought it was a perfectly normal sound to emanate from a CRT...though I may stand corrected?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 10-11-2009 4:03 PM In reply to

Pretty much all CRT TVs do that. It's just the high voltage of the tube discharging, and it may crackle as well when it gets charged when you turn the TV on.

Degaussing indeed happens only when you turn the TV on (and not even then always), and sounds more like "bloingggg" - never heard an Avant though, so someone else may have a more accurate onomatopoetic rendition of the event Smile

-mika

• 10-11-2009 6:19 PM In reply to

I stand corrected-you're crackling not boinging! Anyway, I've had a couple of avants and they both have crackled and continue to do so-whatever it is it's nothing to be concerned about!

• 10-12-2009 3:19 AM In reply to

• djram
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2007
    • Posts 78
    • Gold Member

Thank you very much every one! Then I will leave it as it is and continue to enjoy the nice picture and amazing sound.

/Hans

• 10-12-2009 4:15 AM In reply to

Sounds normal to me too. Both the "crackle" and "boing".

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 10-12-2009 12:57 PM In reply to

Indeed: totally normal, when switched on the tv degausses, which is a short buzz, abt 1 sec and than the EHT comes up on the tube whichis the crackle.

When powered down, modern tv's like the Avant discharge the tube/EHT circuit which again gives the crackle.

Old tv's didn't use to do so resulting in a static electricity charge left in the tube for days...

If you don't hear these sounds there would be a reason to worry :)...

PS: if it sounds more like sparks and there's a smell of ozone, that's also no good...(but that doesn't seem to be your case).

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)