in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-19-2009 7:50 AM by Peter. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-17-2009 7:45 AM

• abbie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

one of those trivial questions!

Hi everyone

I'm new to B&O. I really only want a deck and I really like the older ones like the 1200 but I have found that I don't always like the look of the amplifier. Can I connect any amplifier to the deck that I finally choose?

Thanks

Abbie

• 10-17-2009 7:50 AM In reply to

Re: one of those trivial questions!

Yes - however remember that you need a phono pre-amplifier some where in the equation. Some Beograms have them already fitted - BG3500,4500,6500 and 7000 for instance - and others will expect one to be in the amplifier. Which decks did you like the look of and which amplifier do you plan to use?

• 10-17-2009 6:23 PM In reply to

• abbie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Hi Peter

Thanks for replying. I really like the BeoGram 1100 or 1200 and I was thinking  the BeoMaster 901 or the BeoMaster 3000. I seem to prefer the early ones and I'm not looking for a big super clever system just a deck really so I can get back into vinyl. 

regards

Abbie

• 10-17-2009 8:51 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Hi Abbie,

Both the 901 & 3000 are excellent amplifiers and will be perfect with the Beograms you mentioned. No need to worry about RIAA pre-amps as both these Beomasters have them built in. I agree with your liking for these, very cool looking is only the start with this series of tuner/amps as the quality carries on throughout the build. Add a pair of Beovox S45-2's speakers and you'll be in vinyl heaven.

There's a ton of vintage B&O stuff out there to be bought for peanuts and most of it puts todays products to shame. Be warned though, you won't stop at just a turntable/amp & a couple of speakers - I know I started there.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-18-2009 3:29 AM In reply to

If you particularly like the earlier equipment, it might be worth getting a copy of the Collecting Bang & Olufsen Guide by the Jarman Brothers. It has a guide in the back suggesting good matches. Of the amplifiers you mention, the 3000 is much the better and the last in this series, the 4400 is the best amplifier made by B&O in my opinion (and that of the Jarman's!)Of the record decks, the 1902 is one of the better radial decks though some prefer the looks of the 1700. The obvious alternative would be a tangential 4002 but they are more liable to need servicing.

• 10-18-2009 11:06 PM In reply to

• abbie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Hi Chris

I've always loved the look of B&O and believed they were the best so hoped one day I'd have one.

I'm so grateful for your help in this because now I'm confused!

How do I tell which equipment has a pre-amp built in? I've looked on the specs for the 3000 but can't pick out what it is that shows you it has a built in pre-amp and then if I end up choosing both a turntable and amplifier that both don't have a built in one what do I do? Or do I have to choose either one or the other with it built in?? This is like when I was looking for a vintage watch for my hubby.....you'd think a watch is a watch but don't you believe it lol :) I was blinded by science when I asked for some advice. It's never as easy as just choosing the one you like.

Abbie

• 10-18-2009 11:15 PM In reply to

• abbie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Hi Peter

Thankyou I might well do that because I can see it's not going to be as simple as I expected.

Yes the tangentials are fab and it would seem the best choice for my vinyl but for some reason I prefer the radials, perhaps I'm just old-fashioned :)

Abbie

• 10-19-2009 3:54 AM In reply to

abbie:

How do I tell which equipment has a pre-amp built in? I've looked on the specs for the 3000 but can't pick out what it is that shows you it has a built in pre-amp and then if I end up choosing both a turntable and amplifier that both don't have a built in one what do I do?

Hi Abbie, I think it is safe to say that all Beomasters from the 70's thru to mid-80's have the RIAA pre-amp (BM6000 quad maybe doesn't, but I don't think you'll be aiming for one of those anyway). The 3000 definitely does. Likewise, none of the radial decks has it (except for 3400 quad and some oddities), so almost any pair from that era will work.

Anyway, the issue will not be a showstopper - if both of the units have the preamp, you can connect the deck to the tape input on the Beomaster. If neither of them has it, you can add one externally for the cost of a few tenners. Try to avoid that anyway since the external boxes will always be a hassle.

We have some information on the devices over here and the Jarmans' book (excellent reading in any case) has a list of suggested nice combinations.

-mika

• 10-19-2009 7:50 AM In reply to

Actually the Beomaster 6000 quad does have one but it is a different input to the CD4 phono input and is switchable. How they managed to fit everything in there is amazing! Does mean you can play two record players through the 6000 though - useful for comparisons! And as standard, the Beogram 3400 does not have a RIAA.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)