in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-14-2007 9:08 AM by tslover7. 49 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (50 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-02-2007 8:46 AM

BeoVision Avant DVD Television

I purchased a BeoVision Avant DVD Television when we lived in Amsterdam. When we purchased the unit we knew we would be returning to the US. Our B&O dealer in Hilversum (B&O Studio Group) ordered a unit that would work in the US with a converter (I believe they ordered a model from Romania). I have the TV connected to a Reverse Converter (120VAC 60Hz 44W input to 240V 60Hz 40W output). The red power indicator light is illuminated and I can operate the DVD load button. When I push the TV button the remote read out shows Television 1 then enter pin code and immediately goes out with no opportunity to enter the pin code. It does the same thing when you push the DVD button. What do I need to do? Was my B&O dealer in Holland incorrect about being able to use the unit in the US? PB&) Customer Service says they can do nothing for me -- everything is unauthorized.  I feel cheated by B&O.  They say contact the dealer -- what would they do?  Any advice would be appreciated.  
  • 10-02-2007 8:58 AM In reply to

Re: BeoVision Avant DVD Television

I am assuming that you are back in the US and this is the first time you have used the AVANT since leaving Holland, please confirm ?

Also, please look on the back of your AVANT for a 4 digit "Type Number" so we can be certain what variation you really have purchased ?

The first observation I note is the rating of your converter, but we will come to that later

Regards Keith....

• 10-02-2007 9:04 AM In reply to

It should be noted that the typical power consumption of an AVANT DVD mark III is 134 watts

Regards Keith....

• 10-02-2007 9:06 AM In reply to

Two things spring to mind.

1. The power consumption of the Avant DVD is about 135W .

2. Will it accept 60Hz? It will be on the sticker on the back if it will.

It strikes me that the power transformer you are running is not up to the job.Maybe there is simply not the power to fire up the tube.

• 10-02-2007 9:08 AM In reply to

I'll not quibble about a watt Keith! Laughing I think you and I are probably thinking along the same lines!
  • 10-02-2007 9:18 AM In reply to

Lets give or take a watt Peter

Regards Keith....

• 10-02-2007 9:31 AM In reply to

• PL212
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - Seattle
    • Posts 318
    • Bronze Member

I've run an MX6000 in the States with a power converter -- but that has passive speakers and a much less advanced chassis.
  • 10-02-2007 9:39 AM In reply to

• Bart
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

Does an Dutch Avant (PAL-system) fully support NTSC and the American frequency band? I would be suprised if it could, but maybe. At least your power converter is wrong but you could easily buy an suitable one in the states.

Bart

• 10-02-2007 10:08 AM In reply to

I imagine that he will be using either a cable box or some sort of STB.
  • 10-02-2007 10:27 AM In reply to

You are right Peter because that is his only option. The TV itself will play back in NTSC from DVD etc, he may have a problem with the region setting of the DVD however.

Regards Keith....

• 10-02-2007 10:39 AM In reply to

Should be OK with region setting unless he plans to use two different regions, which coming from Holland and living in the US might well be the case. It is possible to solve this a variety of ways - hardware and, I believe, software.

Does seem like quite hard work though. The US BV7 somehow seems quite attractive!

• 10-02-2007 5:29 PM In reply to

Keith, first thank-you.  Yes, this is the first time I attempted to "fully" use the ADVANT -- I did power it up before it went into storage; saw the red light and thought it would be fine.  I am not where the TV is -- we have a small place in the mountains.  I will get the information you requested.  If I understand the conversation you had with Peter you both think I need a different converter.  I hope that is all it is.  I'll be back to you this weekend.  Tom
  • 10-02-2007 5:33 PM In reply to

Peter thank-you for getting involved.  I sent a note to Keith and yes, this was the first time I attempted to use the ADVANT.  I hope the issue is nothing more than the converter.  I told Keith I would get back to him this weekend -- the television is at a small cabin in the mountains.  Thanks!

Tom
  • 10-02-2007 5:45 PM In reply to

Best of luck! I do have the service manuals for most Avants if needed!
  • 10-07-2007 8:28 AM In reply to

Peter & Keith here is all of the information on the back of the television:

Beovision Avant 28 DVD

Type Number:  8356

SW 8.80

Item Number:  1808420

Serial Number:  17296710

ACC STB DS

220-240V  50-60HZ

TYP 130W St.By 2W IEC65: 139W

If I understood where you were headed in the previous correspondence this would tell me that I do not have the right converter – I need one that will give me at least 130W? 

Thanks!

Tom

• 10-07-2007 8:40 AM In reply to

Well it would seem to accept 60Hz but it has a typical power consumption of 130W so I am sure that this is your problem. I would try to get a converter that will manage that and a bit more besides. You clearly have enough power to manage stand by but not enough to go any further.
  • 10-07-2007 9:20 AM In reply to

Tom,

I agree with Peter you need a converter which has an output of at least 140 watts for the AVANT to have any chance of working correctly.

I can confirm that your model is intended for the Eastern European market.

It will work on 60 Hz and the only issue you may have is your ability to play US region DVD's.

Regards Keith....

• 10-07-2007 7:35 PM In reply to

Thanks, I'll order a new converter tomoorow and bring it up next time we come.  I'll keep you post.  I really do appreciate your help!  Tom
  • 10-07-2007 7:36 PM In reply to

Thanks for your input.  The DVD's will not be a problem -- when I purchaed the unit I made sure that they "fixed" it to play DVD's from all regions!  I really appreciate your help.  Tom
  • 10-07-2007 9:02 PM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Eastbourne, East Sussex, ENG
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

tslover7:
    The DVD's will not be a problem -- when I purchaed the unit I made sure that they "fixed" it to play DVD's from all regions!  I really appreciate your help.  Tom

On some versions of Avant DVD multi-regioning the inbuilt DVD Player can result in the loss of CD Audio playback. It's probably worth giving yours a trial run with a CD as soon as you have it working. From my experiences, most dealers are not aware of this problem, but I've encountered two which have played Region 1 & 2 DVDs perfectly, but simply ignored Audio CDs.

Muchos Gracias Cool

• 10-10-2007 6:52 PM In reply to

Peter and/or Keith, I went to www.world-import.com to look at step-up converters.  Would you mind taking a look and make a recommendation to me on what to purchase.  It would be appreciated.  If you know of a better site to purchase from I would appreciate that as well.  Thanks!

Tom

• 10-11-2007 3:15 AM In reply to

Tom,

I think the site you named do not really have anything completely suitable, however have a look HERE and I think they have every option you would ever need. You would need to order the ST-200, but if you have other products other than the AVANT which are 220 Volts you could buy the larger unit to cover them as well, given the small price difference. i.e. the 300 watt unit (ST-300) is just $10 more.

Let us know how you get on..

Regards Keith....

• 10-12-2007 8:16 AM In reply to

I ordered the 300 Watt unit. I let you know how things work out.  Most appreciated -- have a good weekend.  Tom
  • 10-19-2007 7:20 PM In reply to

I arrived at the condo today in great anticipation, but....  I plug in the 300 Watt Step Up and Down Power transformer -- input 110V output 220V.  Plug the TV in and then nothing -- no power light.  I got out the old 60 Watt converter and the power light came on.  I checked the fuse on the new transformer -- it was blown.  Put in the spare -- plugged everything in -- the power light came on, I turned on the TV and it came on momentarily -- asking for the security code and then everything went out again.  The spare fuse was blown??  

Not sure what the issue is -- to weak a fuse?  Too much power needed when you first turn it on?  

I would appreciate input.  Thanks!

Tom
  • 10-20-2007 3:15 AM In reply to

Well, the good news is that the AVANT came on for a short time asking for the security pin code which means that AVANT itself is properly fine.

The converter unit at 300 watts should be fine, but to prove the point I suggest you connect 3 x 100 watt light bulbs to the converter and make sure they light to full brightness, we need to ensure your new converter is working correctly.

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 2 (50 items) 1 2 Next >