in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-10-2009 2:57 PM by silkyss. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2009 10:32 AM

Beocenter 2300 with faulty CD unit

Calling all Techies.

I'm new to B&O systems and now I own one, I have encountered a problem.

I bought this off Ebay as working, but when it arrived although it is in superb cosmetic condtion, the CD doesn't work. I have tried to get the seller to take it back, but he is sure it worked when it left him and isn't prepared to give a refund. He might be right and does have good feedback, but that doesn't help me!

I do know quite a bit about electronics and have carried out a few checks on the unit. All voltages appear to be correct (I did expect to find some physical problem such as a plug out but nothing so simple). The door opens as it should but when you insert the CD, other than a brief chattering from the laser (which I would expect), then CD doesn't spin at all. When you select  CD and play, all you get on the display is "CD  <>" If you press play, again you get the slight chatter from the CD laser. I would have expected that the disk would have spun, even if the laser was defective. However, as I have never had it working, maybe this isn't the way it would normally work.

The CD unit is PSS/M2/VO 9539.

Can anyone give me any advice on the possible fault?

I'm trying to locate a service manual if anyone can help. I understand that there are service modes which might help me determine the fault.

If I have to replace the laser and control board, can anyone direct me to a supplier?

Thanks in advance.

Steve (Silkyss)

• 10-10-2009 11:29 AM In reply to

Re: Beocenter 2300 with faulty CD unit

The CD will not spin until the laser finds focus. That it doesn't spin is indicative of a failed laser or a fault on the servo board.

The CD Mech and control board will need replacing unless you want to really get down and tecnical.

Replacement would be my option but the only place to obtain the spares is a B&O dealer as the mech and the interface board is specific to B&O. The CD mech kit is around £125 plus labour to fit.

You would have been better off paying a little more for a system from a recognised reseller who gives a warranty. They may be more expensive at the outset but cheaper in the long run!!

Regards Graham

• 10-10-2009 1:58 PM In reply to

Replace the smd electrolyth caps on the drive... that's all.

"New" drives have the same age like the original one and will fail a little bit later, maybe 1-2 years. So it's better to replace the faulty parts and have 10-15 years lifetime again.

And it saves a lot of money... 8 caps for 2 Euros and 30 minutes.Whistle

Your quote for success ist around 70%.

Testing the laser with a faulty loop back circuit will kill the laser and lower your chance...

• 10-10-2009 2:57 PM In reply to

Thanks for the replies and advice.

It seems that I have nothing to lose by changing the caps, and everything to gain.

If I can't fix the unit, and need to replace it, I understand that there is an upgrade kit available which uses an upgraded CD unit. However, does the replacement unit suffer from the same stock fault with SMD caps? Is it worth upgrading or sticking to a direct like for like replacement?

Any suggestions of a source of the replacement or upgrade kit if I can't fix the exisiting unit?

Thanks for all your help so far - this is by far the quickest response I have ever had on similar Forums.

Steve

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)