in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-30-2009 3:38 PM by andymandy. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-27-2009 2:39 PM

beovision 3 intermittent black screen

Hi

I have a Beovision 3 TV that obviously out of warranty. Occasionally the screen will go black for a second or two but the sound will continue working. Its been doing this for a couple of years now. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? It doesn't seem to be getting any worse but it is annoying.

I do not have it connected to anything but a surge protector and dvd. I havent switched to digital yet. Any help would be greatfully received.

• 07-28-2009 2:13 AM In reply to

Re: beovision 3 intermittent black screen

A very warm welcome to Beoworld and I am sorry to hear that you have put up with this problem for some years now.

When you say that the screen goes black, is that as if the TV is switched off or is there a very faint blank raster visable ?

As you are apparently still using the analogue signal and the sound remains when the fault occurs, it narrows the problem area down considerably. As the problem has apparently not been getting any worst, tends to lead me to think that there is a bad connection or dry solder joint after the 6Mhz sound filter.

I suggest as a first step you carefully view the screen when it goes black to determine if there is a raster or not.

Are you a technical person with electronics knowledge ?

Regards Keith....

• 07-28-2009 5:10 AM In reply to

Hi Keith

Sadly I don't have any electronics knowledge. The screen goes very black but you can see whats going on as dark silhouettes on the screen. It doesn't fade in or out either. Its on fine, instantly goes black for a second or two and then instantly comes back to a good picture.

• 07-28-2009 10:34 AM In reply to

When the screen comes back on, do you hear a faint static sound ? If the answer is yes, then it is likely you have a dry solder joint or bad connection in or around the Line output transformer which also produces the EHT (Extra High Tension) for the tube anode. This is quite a common issue because of the heat generated in and around this area.

For a B&O dealer or a good TV repair engineer this should be a straight forward problem to fix.

Regards Keith....

• 07-29-2009 5:47 AM In reply to

No theres no static noise at all. Its just the black screen.

• 07-29-2009 6:39 AM In reply to

As the answer to the question is apparently NO, then the problem could be in several areas associated with the tube including

• Loss of HT supply to the line output drivers or a problem with the drivers and associated circuit
    • Bad connection on the tube base RGB section

Regards Keith....

• 07-30-2009 3:38 PM In reply to

Thanks very much for helping me out with this Keith. I am going to get in touch with a B and O dealer and see what they can do. At least I now have some idea of what the problem might be. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank you

Andy

(I also have a Beosound century with a door that doesnt always open and close and a cd loader that seems to have developed a mind of its own so that might accompany the TV. I think it maybe needs a clean but I'm not sure I am up to taking it to bits...)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)