in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-25-2009 9:21 AM by tournedos. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2009 4:43 PM

B&O in thrift shops

Quite often here in Denmark I see older B&O in thrift shops alot.

Beovisions are mostly '80s and takes longer to sell but it seems to change hands with out having to stay for long.

It was not to long ago I stumbled across a Beocord 5500 wich is still fully working.

Is there any B&O in the thrift shops where you are located?

• 06-24-2009 4:48 PM In reply to

Re: B&O in thrift shops

Sadly not...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 06-24-2009 4:55 PM In reply to

My first B&O (the 900K) is from one. I also bought my Beomaster 1000 from the same place. At one time they also had a Beocenter 7002, but it was a bit pricey being in unknown condition, and when I had finally decided to get it and came back, it was gone already.

Other than that, not much luck. Although I repaired the CD of a BC9500 for a guy who bought it for a song at a flea market...

-mika

• 06-24-2009 7:47 PM In reply to

I wish!

Here in the UK older B&O stuff is a rarity, but I did once find a 100% mint Beolit 609 in the charity shop at the end of my old street in Sheffield. The tuner section needed some new caps, and it was through this forum that I was put in contact with Tim Jarman who was able to fix it up for me. Needless to say that Tim has had other things I've 'found' sent his way over the years!

I do envy you guys in Scandanavia though, as you must have more chance of finding things as more B&O products were sold there in the 50s/60s/70s/etc.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 06-24-2009 8:05 PM In reply to

B&O is pretty rare and coveted in Australia, so I've never seen B&O 'thrown' away. In fact, in some of these 'retro' second-hand stores they sell systems like the Beocenter 2200 for ridiculously high prices...

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 06-24-2009 8:06 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I'm afraid here in the UK, 99.9% of the population see the words 'BANG & OLUFSEN' written on something any age, any condition, and think it's worth a fortune.

I've had the phone slammed down on me a few times, and had sarcastic emails back when i've valued a non-working, heavily marked BeoCord 5000 at '£10' and this week was told 'you don't have a clue what you're doing mate' when i valued a pair of CX100's at 'zero pounds' with all four cones having foam rot, all six frets being holed/ripped. and the cases looking like they had been dragged across a gravel car park then thrown off a cliff..

On the other hand, valuing Avants always upsets me.  How can the RF versions in particular be worth so little now?!!  What an absolute cracker of a television. It's like selling a 2005 Bentley Arnage for the same price as a 2007 Ford Fiesta in my opinion. Bargains now, just like the BeoVision 5.

It also makes me scratch my head when the big Beogram 900RG's make pennies. Quality wood (apart from the legs - rubbish - be careful moving them), a beauitful retro piece of retro furniture - all with a cracking sound system in there.. for less than £50-100 in most cases. A no-brainer for those with some room!

In the UK, i've never once seen any B&O in a thrift shop in all my time. However, i've had plenty of calls from charity shops asking me what they think an item is worth because someone has said 'ooh - that's Bang & Olufsen, so it must be worth a fortune...'

If i'm ever looking for some well cared for vintage or rare B&O, i always end up browsing the scandinavian auction sites. I've got some really rare stuff now, and it's all been from Danish homes..

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-25-2009 3:58 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

9 LEE:

On the other hand, valuing Avants always upsets me.  How can the RF versions in particular be worth so little now?!!  What an absolute cracker of a television.

As the general public do not want a CRT. I see couples in their late 50s/60s in their local B&O store asking about the differences between an LCD and plasma. No CRT entertained. It's been that way for a few years now. CRT may generate a superb picture, but the size and longevity of the sets put most people off.

• 06-25-2009 5:20 AM In reply to

Hey I love CRTs! I just bought 3 Avants off Lee! Just what you said, general public, but B&O don't really sell to the general public...

• 06-25-2009 7:01 AM In reply to

Hi guys:

The only B&O I saw in a thrifty type shop (well not thrifty at all really - it was a Cash Converters) was about five years ago in a shop in Barking - an East London area so it was really unusual to find it there and I don't think anyone in the shop knew what it was worth (me included). I searched on here for a model that looked like it but cannot find one.

It was a stereo system that would sit on a table kind of like a 9500 or 9300 but was from the 1970s I think. It was edged with light coloured wood and had an aluminium fascia on which the controls were mounted. One of which was a large rotar control (about the size of a saucer or a CD). This is all from memory so I could be wrong. In fact this now sounds more like an MCP?

Thanks

Graham

PS They wanted £70 for it

• 06-25-2009 7:17 AM In reply to

Graham1982:

It was a stereo system that would sit on a table kind of like a 9500 or 9300 but was from the 1970s I think. It was edged with light coloured wood and had an aluminium fascia on which the controls were mounted. One of which was a large rotar control (about the size of a saucer or a CD). This is all from memory so I could be wrong. In fact this now sounds more like an MCP?

Could it have been a Beomaster 2200 or a Beocenter 4000.  The rotary tuning dial was large and the stying wasn't too dissimilar from the 9300/9500?

Cleve

• 06-25-2009 7:29 AM In reply to

More like the 2200 but it doesn't ring a bell (I've just looked).

• 06-25-2009 7:57 AM In reply to

More like BeoMaster 6000 Tuner/Amplifier Type 2702?? That was absolutely stunning in my opinionStick out tongue

• 06-25-2009 8:53 AM In reply to

Graham1982:

Sounds like this Beomaster 2000 (or perhaps 3400, which looks similar).

To tell the truth, my local finds were somewhat an anomaly. B&O never was a big seller in Finland - especially not the televisions, since we had a very strong local industry. And you people in the UK seem to have all the eBay bargains! I have bought most of my stuff from Germany...

-mika

• 06-25-2009 9:00 AM In reply to

Yeah it looked like the 2000 or that particular picture of it although the dial at the very least was brushed aluminium. Should I have bought it for £70 or not worth it?

• 06-25-2009 9:02 AM In reply to

Maybe you mean a Beocenter 3300 (with turntable), Beocenter 4000 (with cassette) or the receiver 2200?

Ernie

• 06-25-2009 9:05 AM In reply to

Yep it was the silver one on this page - it all makes sense now!

• 06-25-2009 9:21 AM In reply to

Graham1982:

Yeah it looked like the 2000 or that particular picture of it although the dial at the very least was brushed aluminium. Should I have bought it for £70 or not worth it?

In the white versions the aluminum parts are clear - maybe somebody had built a mix & match unit?

I'm sure it would be worth £70 in good external and working condition. I have two units in rosewood, only the other has missing keys and other problems so it is more like a parts donor. These Beomasters have a very good amp and look really nice if they have some space around them... Quite large, though.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)