in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-25-2009 3:54 AM by moxxey. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-12-2009 3:41 AM

Well, I've had it on demo at home for the last week or so....

I've had the Beosound5 on demo at home for the past 10 days as a stand alone unit not linked to my pc or tv with about 200 pre-loaded albums and linked to my lab9's. I thought i would just jot down a few random comments as i've been trawling through the posts on this forum trying to make my mind up....

1.  I must say that the sound is absolutely superb.  When the engineer turned it on, both myself and my wife said ''WOW''. Obviously over the past week or so we have got used to the sound and i'm looking forward to getting my  Beosound3200 reconnected to see if we can really notice the difference between the two units

2. The design is superb although I personally think the unit is a little too small and looks a bit out of proportion on the floor stand. This is purely a personal feeling and others will most likely disagree.

3. I found it relatively easy to use (without properly reading the instructions!) although my wife found it less intuitive. Obviously this was just the display unit and i must admit i have concerns how easy it is to load cd's onto Beoplayer as i've never used it.

4. Why are the thumbnail album pics so small when you browse? i found unless you knew what the album cover looked like, the writing couldn't easily be read unless you went to full screen mode.

5. I found that sometimes it wasn't easy just to play an album. MOTS kicked in sometimes or other times the tracks didn't play in order. Again this is probably me just not getting to grips with the system and i should read the manual again.

well the big question that i can't decide on, is whether to buy it. Sometimes i really love it, other times i think, what is the point of it and should i just stick to the 3200 and plug my iphone in when we have a party and use the genius function.

I feel at the moment i will revisit it in 9 months time to see what upgrades there have been and see whether the WOW factor is there unless i can be persuaded........

cheers

David

• 05-12-2009 5:52 AM In reply to

Re: Well, I've had it on demo at home for the last week or so....

How about a 10% price increase on the system to help make your mind up! as B&O are increasing the prices by the end of the month I believe accross the board!

Some items like the BV7-40 Mk IV went up on sat by 10%

Hope that helps you and I love my Beomaster 5 which I use on my Bv 7-40 Mk3

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 05-12-2009 6:32 AM In reply to

thanks for the reply. The dealer has mentioned the price increase, so that's definately a factor!

Do you control your music through just the t.v or do you use the Beosound5 screen also?

cheers

David

• 05-12-2009 7:20 AM In reply to

Hi

I downloaded the manual some time ago, and I believe the answer is "yes, but".

The "but" is that MotS is the one thing that needs the BS 5 as well as the Bm 5.

Now are you persuaded ?

:-)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-12-2009 8:05 AM In reply to

i think i'll make my mind up when they reconnect  the BS3200 on saturdayWhistle

• 05-12-2009 10:35 AM In reply to

DGeorge:

thanks for the reply. The dealer has mentioned the price increase, so that's definately a factor!

Do you control your music through just the t.v or do you use the Beosound5 screen also?

cheers

David

Hi David in answer to your question....I only have the Beomaster 5,I do not have the Head Unit Screen.

I control the Beomaster 5 with my Bv7-40 Mk3 tv..So everything is on the screen,so no Head unit needed for me!

Hope that helps! And good luck with deciding over the weekend...enjoy!

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 05-12-2009 2:11 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi David.
    Although I have no first hand experience of Beomaster/sound 5, it is worth noting that, as it is software based, many of the teething troubles are being ironed out as we speak. For example, the problem with MOTS and albums.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-17-2009 6:33 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

DGeorge:

i think i'll make my mind up when they reconnect  the BS3200 on saturdayWhistle

And, and? :)

Let us know what you think. I'm interested in the differences between, say, my BC2 and the BS5. With the 10% price increase kicking in within two weeks, us Brits need to make decisions....fast. So, your experience of the aural differences between your BS3200 and BS5 will be a big help.

So, thoughts?

• 05-17-2009 7:32 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Moxxey - can't you do the same and get one on demo so you can compare directly? I don't see any point in relying on other folks ears, it's yours that will have to listen to it ultimately  -  if you're happy with it then that's all that should count.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-17-2009 7:47 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

Moxxey - can't you do the same and get one on demo so you can compare directly?

Not easily, no. Especially if your dealer doesn't have any 'spare' units. Also, connecting up a BM5 and BL5 isn't a quick process that can be achieved overnight (ie the dealer would want it back the next working day!). I wanted other opinions first.

• 05-17-2009 10:26 AM In reply to

moxxey:
      Also, connecting up a BM5 and BL5 isn't a quick process that can be achieved overnight (ie the dealer would want it back the next working day!). I wanted other opinions first.

Surely it is a case of disconnecting a DigOut Coax and Powerlink Cable on the BC2 and connecting them to the BM5?

Should take no more than 10 seconds to swap over?

10%

• 05-17-2009 1:53 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Mr10Percent:

Surely it is a case of disconnecting a DigOut Coax and Powerlink Cable on the BC2 and connecting them to the BM5?

Should take no more than 10 seconds to swap over?

10%

No, I mean that I'd have to grab it from my dealer after they close, then return before they open the next day - a lot of hassle for a quick demo. I suppose I could ask them if I could borrow over a Sunday.

• 05-18-2009 3:08 AM In reply to

Hi Moxey - well it went back and the BS3200 reconnected to the Lab 9's

There is a difference but not what i expected. Both myself and my wife agree that the vocals sound crisper on the BS5, especially at lower volumes. We could hear the BS5 quite clearly when sitting in the garden with the patio doors open, but when playing the BS3200 at the same volume, we could not hear it as clearly.

But........I found at higher volumes the BS3200 sounded richer and the instruments seemed more defined and overall just sounded less clinical (if that makes sense)

So decision made, I'm not going to buy it ...YET. Great system but probably not for me at the moment. I found that the system looked out of proportion on the floor stand and having wooden floors throughout the house, hiding cables etc to the master box and pc etc would be a major issue. MOTS is a great feature but i would have liked to have had a pure random feature also for times when you really don't want ''more of the same''

Some friends commented over the weekend that they preferred the look of the BS3200 (despite it's oudated music selection capabilities) especially as  the stand matches the BV7 and somehow the BS5 just needs to be a bit bigger....

I just wish they'd make a BS9000 with a hard drive!

I will revisit it in 9 months to see what software changes have been made and other placement options.

In summary good system but I personally can't  justify spending £4k on something which gives me marginally better sound and on something which I think looks silly on a floor stand in my house!

cheers

David

• 05-18-2009 4:38 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

DGeorge:

I just wish they'd make a BS9000 with a hard drive!

Now that would be something!!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-18-2009 4:42 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

DGeorge:

So decision made, I'm not going to buy it ...YET.

I don't think I will, either. I had the idea of getting it before the 10% price increase (after this, it will be around £4100!), but then realised I'd be better just buying another Beosound 4 from, say, Lifestyle (£1500 or so) and connecting to my existing Mac Mini setup, through my Airport Express! Just as effective.

If the BS5/BM5 was £2700 - a grand cheaper - I think I'd take the plunge. No idea who's going to spend £4100 on it. Hats off to those people!

• 05-18-2009 5:19 AM In reply to

totally agree. £1k or so cheaper and might have been able to justify it....

out of interest as i'm totally mac ignorant, how does the mac mini, airport express work?

cheers

David

• 05-22-2009 11:54 AM In reply to

If I recall correct the BS9000 is a "dead man walking" meaning about to be terminated. So we won't see it coming with a HD.

I think we will see though alternatives for the BS5 head unit.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-23-2009 2:11 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

DGeorge:

totally agree. £1k or so cheaper and might have been able to justify it....

Well, I've changed my mind and taken the plunge as I managed to negotiate an excellent pre-price rise deal with another dealer, with a discount!

I've asked some questions though about linking with other kit.

• 05-24-2009 7:46 PM In reply to

jk1002 a new head unit? what makes you say that? is it a rumour or from a proper b&o source.

like a lot of people here i am not convinced by the looks of the head unit myself - it is too small...

as i mentioned in another reply reminds some of my friends of a fancy light control or central heating control panel...

it looks so anorexic on the floor stand.

• 05-25-2009 3:54 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

seethroughyou:

jk1002 a new head unit? what makes you say that? is it a rumour or from a proper b&o source.

like a lot of people here i am not convinced by the looks of the head unit myself - it is too small...

I think TripEnglish has mentioned another head unit to compliment the BS5.

I think the head unit looks fine, particularly on a book shelf or on top of a cabinet. Doesn't need to be large just to find and show your digital music. Hey, even the tiny iPod Touch can do that ;)

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)