in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-25-2009 5:51 AM by wdabell. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-24-2009 3:45 PM

Beogram 3300 turntable and Beocenter 9000

Hello Beoworld from a B&O illiterate newbie.

I have a small question that I hope you can answer, I have a Beogram 3300 turntable and am hoping to buy a Beocenter 9000 (CD, tuner & tape deck). Will the two of them 'talk to each other' or will I have to buy a connection kit? Excuse my non-technical terminology but I really don't know a lot about the jargon, I just love the way they look.

Hope you can help, thanks.

• 05-24-2009 5:22 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 3300 turntable and Beocenter 9000

Welcome to the forum !

You should try to contact Steve

http://soundsheavenly.co.uk/default.htm

He is a member here also!

I'm sure he can help you with connection kit.

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 05-25-2009 3:17 AM In reply to

No kit is required! Simply plug the flying lead from the 3300 deck into the Phono socket on the 9000.

Regards Graham

• 05-25-2009 4:43 AM In reply to

The jargon in this case involves two issues:

The first is Datalink - this is the language used that is sent to the Beogram by the Beomaster or Beocenter. It can be seen to be fitted to all Beograms with a 7 pin DIN plug except a few early versions which come from the very early 80s - Beogram 4004 and 2400/2/4 essentially. All decks after these can be used except those fitted with an RIAA - next bit of jargon!

An RIAA is an amplifier that boosts the signal from a record player up to the same level as a CD player and also makes the frequency response flat. The normal output from a record player will be very low and there will be very little bass. This is all related to the way records are cut and the RIAA is usually fitted to the amplifier on which there will be a dedicted input for record players. With the introduction of CD, many companies decided records were a thing of the past and dropped the dedicated input. This gradually happened to B&O as well but there was another technical reason for putting the RIAA in the record player instead of the amplifier - there was more room and the cable from the record player to the amplifier could be longer. Therefore some Beograms have a built in RIAA and again will not work with your Beocenter 9000. Interestingly, the pin used for Datalink also changes so they won't work with the Beocenter 9000 anyway! The decks so fitted are the Beograms 4500, 6500 and 7000. The one you have chosen is fine!

• 05-25-2009 5:51 AM In reply to

Thank you all for your expertise.

I am really looking forward to getting everything fitted together and joining the beautiful world of B&O

Cheers!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)