in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-24-2009 5:24 AM by Chrisreunion. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-19-2009 11:33 AM

When will B&O make motorized BeoLabs?

B&O have always been famous for their mechanical movements on all products: sliding doors on BeoSounds, turning stands on BeoVisions, but..nothing moves on a BeoLab!

All Advanced Sounds Systems provide an ALT tweeter rising from the car's dashboard, don't you thing it is time B&O releases new BeoLabs with a hidden ALT that would rise once the speaker is turned on?

That would give several advantages:

- the horizontal tweeter would pick up less dust when not in use

- the tweeter would be less at risk with kids or curious guests always willing to touch the apparent speaker

- the stereo perspective would be immediately enhanced when the tweeter rises, showing the full benefit of ALT technology

- the magic of movements would give even more value/pleasure to the product

What do you guys think?

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 07-19-2009 11:42 AM In reply to

Re: When will B&O make motorized BeoLabs?

There's at least one coming with this. We've got a lot of other stuff to release first, though.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 07-19-2009 12:15 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Chrisreunion:
    ..nothing moves on a BeoLab!

.. except the microphone under the BL5 during its calibration.

But yes, adding some 'transformers' effect in a sensible way - why not. Big Smile

• 07-19-2009 12:56 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

There's at least one coming with this. We've got a lot of other stuff to release first, though.

What time......2009/2010?

• 07-19-2009 12:59 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

As long as it serves a real purpose - I don't see the point of movement for movements sake

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-19-2009 4:47 PM In reply to

I'd welcome such a development, as long as it's done tastefully! As a fellow BeoWorlder put it a few months ago, "magical movement is a core essence of B&O".

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 07-19-2009 5:10 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

PLEASE... do tell a little more :-)

I think this entire idea is great and the points made more than enough to justify such a Rolls Royce like (Spirit of Ecstacy) feature :)

BV 7-55, BL 7-4, BL 9's, BL 4's, BL 3's, BC 2300, Beo5, Beo4

• 07-19-2009 7:32 PM In reply to

If it looks like the one in the A8 I would want that.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-19-2009 11:00 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Trip tell us more! =)

BL8000 MkII Black

• 07-20-2009 1:14 AM In reply to

Oh please... Why add superfluous functions when they can't even get the basics right. I would much prefer better speakers drivers.

• 07-20-2009 5:11 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

I completely agree with Chris. The first and last time (?) Beo had moving Beolabs was in the BV AV5 I think. I was thinking about building my own surround Beolabs, a kind od Beolab 3 with the motor driven ALT tweeters. I have the ALT tweeters of the Advanced audio system in my car, and it`s a nice feature to see them rising up when I start the engine...BTW they sound really great.

Maybe Beo could start with an ALT model of the BL 7.2 for BV7 and BV10..?..

Stefan

• 07-20-2009 6:55 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

I don't know if it's a good idea to add moving parts to a speaker system as this would be a source of rattling noise at high volume levels that could disturb the sound!?

Hopefully the quality is not as bad as the Beomaster 5 / Beosound 5 combo ... 

• 07-21-2009 7:41 AM In reply to

A lot of people have complained about the weird looks of BV9 with the ALT coming out of the flat front shape, a motorized ALT tweeter with horizontal movement would have been a more subtle alternative to the present design, for instance.

And as long as form & function are concerned, the horizontal tweeters pick up dust very easily, and hiding them when not in use would help a lot..after one year, the treble on my Lab 3 was less audible than those on my Lab 4000!

• 07-21-2009 10:34 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Puncher:

As long as it serves a real purpose - I don't see the point of movement for movements sake

Sorry Puncher, but we have to disagree on that one.
    Movement, for movement's sake is one of the things that epitomises B&O.
    Beovision 'curtains', Ouverture 'magic' doors, Serene with motorised opening, TV's that rotate to face you, are all superfluous to requirements, but without them, B&O would just be 'another' AV manufacturer.
    I think a Beolab speaker that opens to reveal itself sounds great.
    I can envisage one now.
    About the size of a BL2, with three different movements revealing mid range Acoustic Lens, treble Acoustic Lens and culminating in a vertical movement that reveals a Penta-like display.  Total open height about the size of BL9.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-21-2009 11:43 AM In reply to

I like the idea of motorized Beolabs. I've owned Beolab 3's for about half a year and they are fantastic. I hope the treble will stay as good as it is and that I don't get the same problem Chris has...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 07-21-2009 1:41 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Jandyt:

Puncher:

Sorry Puncher, but we have to disagree on that one.
    Movement, for movement's sake is one of the things that epitomises B&O.
    Beovision 'curtains', Ouverture 'magic' doors, Serene with motorised opening, TV's that rotate to face you, are all superfluous to requirements, but without them, B&O would just be 'another' AV manufacturer.
    I can envisage one now.
    About the size of a BL2, with three different movements revealing mid range Acoustic Lens, treble Acoustic Lens and culminating in a vertical movement that reveals a Penta-like display.  Total open height about the size of BL9.

Andy T.

I don't mind magic doors as they have to open anyway so why not automatically, likewise with the TV having a viewing position(s) and a rest position is fine, I can think of cases where that would be useful.

I think the Serene is a faff and the BV4 103 rising up and down from the floor is just plain daft.

If the ALT lens tweeters have a genuine dust problem then that may be sufficient reason to do it. I'm not sure I'd want a Beolab "Optimus Prime" thoughLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-21-2009 3:02 PM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

soon..

• 07-21-2009 7:30 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

I vote to start releasing those wonderfull new things immediately....

Surely,I have my doubts, what I understood is that the new BV10 will be delayed till 2010. So what worthwile will be released in the next few months?

• 07-21-2009 9:18 PM In reply to

as far as I know: Beotime, Beocom 5, Beovision 7-55, maybe an ipod dock, a new sub instead of Beolab 2 and so on....

• 07-22-2009 12:57 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

The new sub may not be instead-of, apparently it is smaller, intended for the smaller speakers (BL3, BL4000, BL8000, BL6000 etc )

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-22-2009 1:03 AM In reply to

Chrisreunion:

B&O have always been famous for their mechanical movements on all products: sliding doors on BeoSounds, turning stands on BeoVisions, but..nothing moves on a BeoLab!

B&O has also been famous for the mechanical movements failing after some time Devil

But I agree - an obvious application would be for the ALT drivers to move into a "protected" position when not in use.

-mika

• 07-22-2009 2:13 AM In reply to

If the new sub is used for the "smaller" speakers bl 3, 4000, 6000, 8000 and so on the bl 2 will be useless because it can't fit with the bl 5 and it does not really make sense with the bl 9....

• 07-23-2009 4:27 AM In reply to

Obviously there will be a BeoLab 6 and a BeoLab 8, let's hope these ones come with a rising ALT..Smile.

Imagine also that such a technology could revive speakers like BeoLab 6000 and BeoLab 8000, with the present design unchanged when not in use, and the ALT rising on top of the speaker (with the proper tilt/inclination) could provide an improved sound & a new life to these ageing speakers.

• 07-23-2009 5:20 AM In reply to

Jandyt:

I can envisage one now.

Andy T.

This sounds great to me and I guess it's a real challenge to make such a product. It has to look good opened and closed and should deliver excellent performance. That's quite a challenge if you ask me...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 07-23-2009 6:57 AM In reply to

ALT is not magic. It is a dispersion lens technology that will help improve dispersion and power response. It will not remove distortion or magically improve bad loudspeaker design in any way.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >