in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-04-2009 4:57 AM by Peter. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-02-2009 8:03 AM

Another one to add to the collection?

Hello!

Hope everyone is enjoying this bank holiday weekend. I'm stuck inside working but that's my own fault!

The question is... The Beocenter 8000. There's one on the 'Bay that might soon be joining me here at Grouse Towers if it stays at a reasonable price. Few questions though...

How does everyone rate this system? I know it's the bottom of the range of the 9X00 series, but does that mean it's rubbish?

Any problems that might have crept in and should be checked, features not working etc.?

There is mention of scratched panels in the description, but from the pictures the damage appears to be the centre panel. I see from other people's posts on the forum that the panels are still available from B&O, is that just the shiny ones or are the matt ones available also? How much would we be talking? Is the centre panel difficult to change, as again from other people's posts the sliding doors sound difficult to do for my poor DIY skills!?

Any other points of note?

Enjoy the weekend!

• 05-02-2009 8:36 AM In reply to

Re: Another one to add to the collection?

The brushed panels for the 9000 are different, no longer available and anyway they will not fit any of the other varients because the Cd clamper mech is unique to the 9000

The polished and matt panels are available but I don't know about the grey painted ones. The polished and matt are available as complete sets of three only. You cannot buy just one panel.

The type of panels are interchangeable with the differences being only cosmetic.

Replacement is relatively easy as long as the drive strings are not disturbed.

The 8000 was never very popular and did not sell well. This is still true today. My advice is if you buy one you do so with the idea of keeping it forever as they are very difficult to sell, due I believe, to the absense of powerlink sockets and one or two other minor features.

Regards Graham

• 05-02-2009 9:03 AM In reply to

I have an 8000, so I may be biased, but if:

• you don't intend to connect active speakers
    • don't intend to create a multiroom setup
    • don't want 2-way remote control or fancy timers
    • don't expect to get a lot of money selling it on

...by all means get an 8000 after making sure everything in it works. The cassette deck certainly is better than in 9300, and the rest of the machine is pretty much the same as 9500/8500, including the 16-bit CD system that's about the same as the highly praised one in BG CD5500 series.

In all of this series, the amplifier never was much to write home about. Therefore an 8000 probably will not serve well as high volume party PA either (neither will the others, but you can rectify that with active speakers). I still love mine at the office, where I have ceiling mounted RL60.2's connected to it.

A matter of taste, but I do believe the dark gray panels will age better than the bright ones, which will look tacky in a wrong environment. An 8000 will not make so much fuss about its presence.

-mika

• 05-02-2009 5:08 PM In reply to

Well my Beocentre 8000 was my first B&O audio purchase and I still use it to this day.

I like the dark grey and it makes it disappear even more.

2 lots of passive speakers connected very easily, try Pentas and also CX100'a with a Cona..........Big Smile

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 05-04-2009 4:44 AM In reply to

Hi

Just heard back from BeoCare (obviously not a holiday over there) and they say that the matt grey panels for the top of the Beocenter 8000 are no longer available. Do these sort of things come up on the 'Bay much or am I likely to be stuck with a scratched bit of kit forever! How much should I expect to pay if they do come up online. Saw a set recently for £35...

The description says "works great!". Presumably any faults that could occur would be obvious or are there any specific things I need to ask if they are working?

Hope everyone is enjoying the inevitable painting and decorating and general DIY that occurs on Bank Holidays!

• 05-04-2009 4:57 AM In reply to

As these panels are painted, I would imagine that they can be resprayed. Anodised and polished finishes are far more difficult to fix. I would have thought panels for an 8000 will be a very rare item to find.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)