in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-11-2009 7:26 AM by birgerbum. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-11-2009 5:06 AM

CD 5500

Hi All and happy Easter,

Some years ago i bought a CD5500 of ebay. I live in North Wales (UK) although this was sold as 110v operation (it has a large 115v sticker  on the rear). The bloke who I bought it off seemed quite genuine and stated on the advert that the sound was excellent etc....

Anyway it arrived plugged it into a 110v step down ( not 115v but shouldn't really matter) and it doesn't function. The tray opens and the track light will come on , it will try and read the disk, then it stops.  I did speak to the seller at the time who was sorry and would have give me a refund but for one reason or another I kept hold of it.

If i remember the 5500 suffered more laser failures than the cd50, that said is bouncing around during shipping likely to cause a failure or could something be misaligned. Ive had the lid of and when it initially powers up the laser output seems very weak ( obviously not looked directly into it !!!!!! ).

Im off for a couple of weeks and would really like to get it working so any help would be greatley appreciated.

Regards

Steve

• 04-11-2009 5:50 AM In reply to

Re: CD 5500

Hi Steve

Try to clean the laser pickup with propylalcohol on a clean soft antistatic cloth:many cd units of that age has problems reading cd's especially burned cd's i don't know how familiar you are with disassempling electronic units but if you are unmount the cd unit unmount the decoder print just under the  cd unit take off all connections be very carefull with the flat cable its locked push the white part  of the connection upwards and gently pull the cable up.then remove all elecrolytic cap's and mount new ones buy some of best quality be carefull to mount them with right polarity(+ /-) then reassembel the print to the unit put all connections in place and try.hope it works

regards

jan

• 04-11-2009 7:26 AM In reply to

Re: CD 5500

Hi steve

Sorry my memory failed disregard what i wrote its not that kind of cd unit that the 5500 uses but still try to clean the laser pickup try to measure the electrolytic cap's on the big main pcb located on the left side of the 5500.-and change those who are suspecious and look for bad soldering

Regards

jan

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)