in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-15-2009 2:33 PM by Beobuddy. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-14-2009 4:51 PM

• BEOfreak
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Odense, Denmark
    • Posts 63
    • Founder

HDD upgrade of a HDR1 - Is it possible to DIY?

Hi!

Have anybody tried to upgrade the harddrive on a HDR1 themself?
    Is it possible to change the harddrive to a bigger one and clone the files from the old to the new harddrive with a PC?

Regards Rasmus

Avant CTV 28", V6000, DVD1, BC9000, BS3000, BL4000, MX4200, CX50, BeoCom 2, Beocom 6000, LC1, LC2

• 03-15-2009 4:46 AM In reply to

• bdm01
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Posts 36
    • Gold Member

Re: HDD upgrade of a HDR1 - Is it possible to DIY?

Hi,

In theory yes it can be done, but I seem to remember that there was a post on here that said the way the hard disk is formatted is not a standard format (ie it's not FAT32 or NTFS ) don't know what format it is, may be some Linux format. Anyone know ? but you would need to format the new hard drive before it would work. so unless someone can tell you the format you can't do it.

Regards

• 03-15-2009 8:26 AM In reply to

• Bart
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

It is correct that the HD is not formatted in a standard way. I can think of one possible option: the better cloning programs are capable of cloning the HDR1 disk and writing it on an other, bigger disk. Then a partition program could be able to resize the volume to the max capacity of this new disk. 

A better way is cloning the disk in an upgraded HDR1.

And probably the best way is having it done by your dealer!! Don't know what costs are involved, anyone?

Bart

• 03-15-2009 11:27 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2008
    • Munich
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

As far as I remember the disc is formatted in a standard way because B&O hasn't invented something new. I think it's the ext-Fileformat that is used by Linux. Most Harddiscrecorders use the ext-Format because it's very compatible and secure. 

The Best way to upgrade is rebuilding the disk from the HDR and connecting it to a PC. Then clone the disk. Second you have to clone the disk to a new one. If the new disk is bigger than the old one you also have to rebuild the the tables so you can use the full size of the disk.

The best way for all this is to use the terminal in Linux or Mac OS Wink

But if you're not that into computers you better contact a dealer he can do it for you as you can read here.

By the way FAT is crap because it doesn't support files over 4GB so it can't be used for recording movies Wink

• 03-15-2009 2:33 PM In reply to

Several members have tried this, but no one succeeded.

-Programs are also stored in an ic in the HDR itself, not only on the FAT table on the harddrive.

-The size of the harddrive has to be set in the servicemenu

-It has a Philips codec board and it doesn't surprise my if they use the same technology as the Philips HDR1000.

This type uses containers of 50MB each to store recordings.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)