in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-05-2008 5:59 AM by Stars. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-04-2008 10:46 AM

• aameerp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-04-2008
    • Lancashire
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

B&O A8 earphones. Replacing/Custom 'buds'

I haven't used my beosound 2 or earphones for a long time now. 2gb isn't enough for me. For the past few months I've been using and 8gb Nokia N95 for everything-no more separate mp3 player. The 3.5mm adapter cable coupled with the A8 cable was too long so I used Nokia earbuds.

Now I tried using the A8 earphones again and they're much, much better-amazing quality in comparison. I've also bought a tiny 3.5mm converting jack so there's no excess wires.

However, after years of inner-ear earbud earphones and big headphones, I find the A8s a bit uncomfortable  in ear 'ole area, otherwise they're great.

the cloth bud thing isn't much help either. i probably have small ears, and the earphones are too hard and rigid. 

should i put up with the mild pain and get used to them?

or is there some other way, like a rubber cushion around the rim,  (like on cheaper earphones) for the earphones or anything like that?

i'd appreciate any advice, and thanks.

APX MMVIII.
    Filed under:
  • 04-04-2008 5:26 PM In reply to

Re: B&O A8 earphones. Replacing/Custom 'buds'

Hi aameerp and welcome to BeoWorld!

Seems like I'm on a bit of an A8 theme tonight - third A8 related post in 15mins!

The first thing I'm going to ask is, how on Earth did you ever decide to put away your A8s for an awful pair of Nokia earphones?!

I've used my same pair of A8s since 2003 now. I used them with the cushion from the start and never had the slightest pain. A few months ago I agreed that I should get some new cushions from my dealer. I haven't got around to this yet, so I've been using my A8s without the cushion and have felt a little pain if I've been listening to them for some time. My advice would be to ask your local B&O dealer for some cushions (which he should give to you for nothing) and if this still doesn't help for you, buy a standard pair of earphone cushions from Woolies or HMV and see if they're any use. Most earphones are a similar size, so the fit doesn't need to be perfect.

Hope this helped.

• 04-04-2008 6:04 PM In reply to

Evening ammeerp,

After being without a set of A8's for around 2 years, I found that for the first few times I used my new set, they did seem to irritate where they rest against my ears.  This does pass, thankfully.

You could try doubling the pads up (if you can get them on.  One set is hard enough for me, but I may have pudgy fingers)

Your local dealer will stock the replacement pads.  Normally I just say to my dealer 'I'm here for some A8 pads' and they hand over a pair free of charge, which is a bonus!

You could try moving the actual earphones slightly away from your head when the irritation starts.  You will find that should help the next time you use them as the contours of the ear has adapted slightly.  Like I say, it does pass.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Greg

• 04-05-2008 5:49 AM In reply to

• aameerp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-04-2008
    • Lancashire
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

thanks everyone.

the wires got too long for me with the earphones and adapter both totalled to around 2m of cable!

I've doubled up the foam pads now,and it's not really uncomfortable at all.

I've ordered some cheap earphones off ebay which have an 'air cushion' (Ross Ear Buds Headphones - about £3 total), if the cushion thing fits around the A8 it'll be great.

I'll definitely not be going back to nokia or any other earphones now!

I've even recopied all my music onto the phone in original higher quality, it's now about 7gb instead of around 3. (128kbps mp3 vs. 320 kbps mp3).

I've also started using the Beoplayer software on PC again, just as a media player. It's great looking and hides away nicely. Maybe next week I'll have a total B&O crisis and  start using the Beosound 2 again!

Does anyone know if there's any chance of it (Beosound 2) getting  sdhc support, for larger memory cards-upto 8gb, maybe as a firmware upgrade as in tytn or in newer models, I know it's a long shot, but I'd be so happy.

High bitrate music is a lot bigger so 2gb or even the 4gb of beosound 6 is not that much, but better than cd's I guess.

Thanks very much, I'm comfortably wearing my A8's now. Best earphones I've ever had. (And I've spent over £100 on a couple of other pairs) 

APX MMVIII.
  • 04-05-2008 5:59 AM In reply to

BeoSound 2 is at its limit with a 2GB SD card. I think it was BeoWorld member Santiago who first managed to get a 2GB SD card working on his BeoSound 2, as the BeoSound 2 spec suggested that a 1GB SD card would be the largest card that the device could handle.

I have used my BeoSound 2 for 5 years now and still use it very regularly. The design is beautiful, the sound is amongst the best and as for memory, well the way I see it is it beats any iPod for the simple reason that you can buy as many 2GB SD cards as you like. I have 3 2GB SD cards which I find is more than enough. I keep one card in the BeoSound 2 and the other two in the back pouch of the BeoSound 2 leather case if I'm travelling.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)