in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-19-2009 9:56 PM by soundchoice70. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-17-2009 4:47 PM

iBook G4 and B&O

Hello All,

I just bought a second hand Mac iBook G4 to use as my "music/video library" and was wondering if anyone else configured the ibook G4 to B&O. What recommendations would you give to hook it up to a BeoSystem 1/BV 4-42? I would also like to use the ibook because I have an iPhone that I can use as a remote.

I have a BeoSystem 1 with BV4-42, BeoCenter 2

Front- BL8000's, Center- BL4000's, Rears- BL6000, Sub- BL2

Thanks,

Diggs

• 02-18-2009 4:54 AM In reply to

Re: iBook G4 and B&O

Hi Diggs,

You should have no problem connecting the G4 to your system. I have a G4 powerbook which I use for my itunes, its connected wirelessly to the sound systems using airport base stations. I then control itunes using the Iphone (with iremote from Apple). Ultimately, you may need to get an external drive to store you source music on, as I know on my G4 there is very little space for the music storage especially when you are storing it in lossless format.

Perhaps have a read of soundproofs guide for setting this up, as I found it invaluable, as I really had no idea how to go about it prior to reading this..

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/8543.aspx?PageIndex=1

Good Luck with it.

Laurence.

• 02-18-2009 10:52 AM In reply to

Thanks Laurence,

Just curious; how did you hook up your airport base station to your B&O system? Was the quality high? Thanks!

Diggs

• 02-18-2009 11:40 AM In reply to

I just read the guide but I am confused on a few parts:

Right now my configuration is an iBook G4 with airport express wireless card transmitting to a Belkin N1 Vision Wireless Router. I have a few external hard drives that I can use if needed.

Am I supposed to hook up the hard drive (Western Digital) directly to the Belkin wireless router? If so, through which connection?

How do I hook up the iBook to the BeoSystem 1 for best quality (I assume I have to hook up the computer directly)? Will I be able to get an adapter to get component for video and rca for audio (I think this is the best for the BeoSystem 1 with Zektor Switch)?

Most of the tutorial used a Mac Mini and I am not sure if the connections are different. Sorry for so many questions! I can't wait to get it all working! Thanks!

Diggs

• 02-19-2009 5:38 AM In reply to

Hi Diggs,

I'm by no means an expert here, but I'll do my best to help.....so any one who is more proficient please do correct me if I am leading Diggs astray!

1. You should be able to connect your BS1 using an airport express base station as per the following link to stream music. My setup is quite simple as its just 2 audio systems and I currently just use a mini jack to din cables (same as used for an Ipod connections) to connect from the airport to the system Tape/Aux. All my music is now saved in lossless and really does sound very good. An external DAC is under consideration for further improvement Smile 

Your BS 1 has digital inputs, that means that to get the best results you can use the digital optical out connection from the airport base station (its the same as the mini jack actually)  to the digital coax / optical input on the BS 1 ....

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

I'm not so sure how the video will figure into this setup ... are you planning to play this also from the G4?.... as I haven't set up for this, but as BS 1 is an AV processor this should be able to be worked out once you get it all connected. You may have to use AppleTV though if you want to be able to stream the video, which therefore means that you can probably do without the airport express base station as the AppleTV can stream both as i understand it ..... Perhaps another member can assist here?

You could also check out another of soundproofs threads... this may be clearer and or do a search on beoworld for other threads...Specifically the Beo / Mac section.

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/19674/146656.aspx#146656

Of course you can connect the G4 with cables, but again I'm not sure on the connections required.

2. Once you have the airport connected you'll need to use airport utilities in the applications folder (you may need to update as I did for mine, go to apple), this will allow you to find the base station on the wireless network and get it to join the network, when doing this you can call it for instance 'living room', once done you should then be able to see at the bottom right in itunes speaker options "living room' and you should be able to select it... music should follow..

3. If the hard drive is a network drive yes I think you should be able to connect directly to the router.  I haven't done this yet, and strangely a friend in IT recently recommended a Western Digital drive to me. You can then transfer all your itunes library to the drive, I would recommend one that mirrors itself so in the event of failure you have a back up... When you do this you will need to adjust in your preferences where your library is located. Again go to apple and search and they have a description of how to do this.

4. To use the Iphone as the remote, simply download iremote from apple onto your G4, then sync the iphone. When the iphone is logged onto your wireless network , you launch the iremote and  its simple to set up and once done it will always automatically search for your library and connect... 

Well I hope that this is of some assistance.

Laurence.

• 02-19-2009 3:31 PM In reply to

Laurence,

I can't thank you enough for all of your help!!!! I think I have found my solution...

1) I have to get a mini vga to s-video adapter for the ibook to send video to the BS1 through S-Video (best quality I think I can get for video)

2) I can either directly hook up rca's for audio OR buy an airport express and hook up the Living room system wirelessly. I will probably go the airport express way but I would like to hear your thoughts on the wireless sound quality...

3) My current wireless router (Belkin N1 Vision) doesn't take usb hard drives (das) so I think I will sell and get the Airport Extreme N router and setup my western digital as a music "server"

Thoughts?!?!?!?!?

My iPhone is ready to remote!!!

Thanks!!!

Diggs

• 02-19-2009 9:56 PM In reply to

Hi Diggs,

Your welcome, but I must say that most of what I know has been picked up from the other very knowledgable members. This really is a fantastic resource..

1. OK as this is quite simple to set up so you can try it out first... however I was thinking that maybe you should have another look at appletv as you could also stream your video (and audio). Suggest doing a search again in Beo-mac forum to check out any threads on this, and it will of course depend also on how much video you intend to use off the mac...

2. For streaming audio only, you should use the digital out on the Airport express, if you use rca cables that will mean you will be inputing an analogue signal and you will be using the AE DAC which if you look at the attached thread is the weak link in this setup....  Your BS1 will have its own internal DAC which will be superior to the AE DAC so that is why you should use the digital optical out form the AE to connect to your digital input on the BS1, this will mean the signal into your BS1 will be unaltered from the source file.

As far as the sound goes, I am actually at present very happy with the quality on both a BS3000 and BM6000 with no external DAC, but of course if I can see some improvement I will most definitely consider this in future.

Have a look at the attached, an interesting discussion on lossless which I read when I was doing my research on how to set up my system and covers also the issue of DAC performance...

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/1406/9699.aspx#9699

3. I'll leave this to you, however if you intend to transfer all your library onto the harddrive its best to have one with the 'mirroring' function, meaning it has 2 drives with one used for backup of the files... I'm doing my research on this at present to decide what to get!

Laurence.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)