in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-28-2009 10:43 AM by tournedos. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-12-2009 12:56 PM

More white stuff landing...

...but not the kind that falls from the sky! Smile

I just collected a pair of Beovox 80.2's in white - or shoud I say cream... To my surprise, one of the woofers is completely OK; the other one has a small hole in the foam, but looks like these will take a long time with moderate listening before they have to be repaired. Apart from very tiny marks on top, these are externally mint Big Smile

-mika

• 02-13-2009 4:39 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Re: More white stuff landing...

Congratulations, a nice set. A white beomaster 6000 would fit them nicely.

br

Chr.

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 02-13-2009 11:41 AM In reply to

I agree Smile However, those are far and between over here and not very practical to get from abroad... I was very surprised how good these speakers sound - I've only heard before my other pair of S80.2's which have incorrect woofers.

The same lot included a pair of RL6000's, a BM5000, CD50 and MCP. The price will be good if I manage to fix the BM, otherwise I'll just try to be happy with these very nice speakers Wink

BTW, was the original colour clean white (as the BS6500 behind) or yellowish? I suppose these have faded, but the tone is incredibly even and fits my walls nicely...

-mika

• 02-13-2009 4:50 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

tournedos:

BTW, was the original colour clean white (as the BS6500 behind) or yellowish? I suppose these have faded, but the tone is incredibly even and fits my walls nicely...

I'm not entirely sure of the original "whiteness" of these but I have some white MC120.2's which are also more of a creamy white than the pure white of the system 6500. The ones I have came from the original owner and a smoke free home so I can only assume they are the original colour. It is hard to tell from photo's but mine seem a little less yellow than yours Mika.

Have you cleaned them thoroughly? I've found baby wipes to be the best product for this, non aggressive and great for removing grime & nicotine.

BTW, as I'm a collector of Art Deco originals, can you tell me any more about the panther/cheetah figure on your BG6500?

Cheers

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-13-2009 5:46 PM In reply to

Thanks, Chris - the pic maybe shows them more yellow than they are because of some spotlights. I haven't had time to do much with these yet, I'll certainly take a try with the baby wipes (the Pentas could use some cleaning as well...). Also, the previous owner apparently has made a new pair of mounting holes for the stands to get the speakers a bit lower.

The panther, I brought it back from Tanzania in 2006, along with a 2 ft giraffe and another smaller one  Smile They're supposed to be made of ebony, but I'm not quite sure as they have lightened a little over the years... definitely wood and very heavy for the size, though. This kind of woodwork is typical over there for skinning the tourists, and usually a bit tacky; but whoever made this panther succeeded quite well imho. And I was with locals, so I probably paid a tenth of the usual price Big Smile

-mika

• 02-14-2009 8:42 AM In reply to

Congratz!

I had the option to get a pair of S120 while the S80.2 were being rebuild by Dillen. Being white editon it could be cool to try 2 pairs with the white editon 6000 system. I got all 3 units minus the speakers first at an auction.

Condition of both pairs were really good. Minor scratches but not noticeable. Despite the usual foamrot and the lack of stands for S80.2 at first they look really good and sound great as speaker pair 1 and 2.

I would say cream like for the colour. My LX5500 is white in part and it's more clear white than the 6000 system. The 6000 system matches the Beovox's perfectly. I don't think smoke has much to do with it as the early catalouges show the same cream like colur if you look close enough. In the end it depends on the lightning and placement.

• 02-14-2009 2:32 PM In reply to

Nice Mika!

I'm always taken with how easily old and newer B&O stuff sits together in the same room. They look great!

As for the whiteness issue, I have just been bought a Beocom 1000 as a present, and though it was originally white, it has faded equally in all parts back to what I can only describe as a 'lemon' colour. It still looks great though :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-16-2009 12:03 AM In reply to

Hi Mika,

Nice collection!

The white will have definitely changed, as the finish is a lacquer (basically a spray paint finish), the paint will 'yellow' with age especially if it was an oil based paint, this is normal... For instance i have some series 7 chairs at home in white (well at least when I bought them) they are over 10 years now and are definitely a shade of cream no matter how much they are cleaned... Would suggest using a non abrasive cream cleaner and they will come back a bit whiter / brighter tho.

Laurence.

• 02-17-2009 2:07 AM In reply to

• Mikkis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2009
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

So you bought those. Smile I was also checking that lot, but decided not to offer since I was only intrested of the RL's. Great deal for you.

• 02-17-2009 5:14 AM In reply to

Yes... the price could have been better in normal auction ending about now, but I decided to "buy it now" since I'm now in Lisbon Laughing

The RL's were fine but took a lot of effort getting presentable (you'll find a thread in the workshop forum).

-mika

• 02-26-2009 8:24 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Mika, the older white items do tend to have a slightly creamier color than the pure white of the white stacking systems.  As mentioned, the white was usually painted on back then (although I believe some may have been laminated).  If you want to try it, a mild polishing compound will often remove the slightly yellow oxidized layer of paint and freshen the surface.

Austin

Edit: Mika, I looked at my white 4002 again.  The white is close enough to the later plastic whites that you can't really tell a difference.  If your paint looks noticeably creamier it may have yellowed slightly, at which point I think the polish would help.

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 02-28-2009 10:43 AM In reply to

Thanks. I'll maybe try on the bottom side what happens with cleaning; I actually like the colour as it is now!

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)