in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-04-2009 10:03 AM by moxxey. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-04-2009 4:11 AM

Updating the BV7-40 on Your own?

Is there really no (unofficial) way to update the firmware of my BV?

Most users generally, know how to download a firmware update tool and firmware images and probably would like to avoid having to pay and wait for the service to drive by just for the sake of hooking up a laptop to the TV for a minute.

I feel that it must be a frequently asked question. However, I could not find related topics while searching for"software update" and the like.

By the way, I have firmware v3.50 and as far as I know, the Blueray playback is poor with this release. Does this justify a free warranty-based update as the 14 months young?

Cheers, Knubbi -- Beovision 7-40 MK3, 2x Beolab 5, 2x Beolab 8000

Filed under:
  • 01-04-2009 4:30 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Updating the BV7-40 on Your own?

Updating the software requires special cables, and is also not a simple 'plug it in and click the button'. There are many different modules in the mkIII 7-40, and it's important that you understand what each one does and whether or not the software in it will need updating. For example, update the software in one part without updating the software in another part and you can break the TV.

On top of that, doing it yourself would void the warranty! Sad Either way, the software shouldn't need updating frequently. If you're finding 3.50 doesn't work well enough for you, then you could ask for it to be updated to the latest software, but you must also bear in mind the acknowledged issues related to it.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-04-2009 4:50 AM In reply to

Alex:
    ..You could ask for it to be updated to the latest software, but you must also bear in mind the acknowledged issues related to it.

You scare me ;-)

Is there any comprehensive changelog including negative side impacts of the updates?

What is the biggest Con to update with the BV 7-40 MK3?

• 01-04-2009 6:26 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Depends on the version you go for. Your dealer will be able to pull the necessary information off B&O's technical website if you so wish!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-04-2009 6:31 AM In reply to

I wonder if the dealer or B&O will also disclose the negative side impacts of any of their updates?! Embarrassed

• 01-04-2009 6:33 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Knubbi:

Is there any comprehensive changelog including negative side impacts of the updates?

What is the biggest Con to update with the BV 7-40 MK3?

Read this:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/130955.aspx

Con? I'm not sure what you mean. I think people mis-use the word 'con'. I get this a lot when readers see magazine promotions and claim that we're trying to 'con' them. A con is a confidence trick where a malicious person will attempt to obtain your money by using a promotion or advertisement to win your confidence. The whole point of the promotion was for their own gain.

I don't think B&O are using confidence tricks :)

Yes, B&O release a dealer information sheet that details what isn't fixed or can be affected by a new sw upgrade. However, as we've found, the new sw updates often cause other issues that B&O aren't aware of when they release the sw.

• 01-04-2009 6:38 AM In reply to

@moxxey: I meant "Con" in terms of pros&cons as positive and negative side effects.

I am German and may have chosen an inappropriate word by accident. Sorry for the word choice if it was inappropriate.

Thanks for the link. I will check that thread.

• 01-04-2009 10:03 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Knubbi:

@moxxey: I meant "Con" in terms of pros&cons as positive and negative side effects.

I am German and may have chosen an inappropriate word by accident. Sorry for the word choice if it was inappropriate.

That's what I thought, don't worry :)

As I said, may of our British readers email us (as magazine publisher's) stating that our various promotions are a 'con'. It's amazing how many Brits mis-use the word.

A lot of the sw negative aspects are not always documented, as I mentioned. I think it's fair to say that as long as you're not using a Sky HD box, there are few, if any, sw problems as of sw 5?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)