in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-12-2009 9:00 AM by Evan. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-08-2009 11:07 AM

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Beomaster 4500 touchpanel issues

I have a BM4500 from 1988 and before it came into my posession, I believe it was dropped resulting in the separation of the glass touch panel and fracturing the plastic bezel that holds it in place. As a result of this, the touch panel buttons have become very problematic and tempermental. A few of the buttons do not work, however most do, but some require abnormal amounts of pressure. But when the glass panel is removed, the little rubber contacts underneath work without flaw. I have tried to adjust them as this is a contact issue, but they are fastened to their metal poles rather well and out of fear of damage, I thought I would consult the forums. So my question is; what are the best ways to resolve this contact issue? And is it possible to remove the rubber contacts to adjust them?

Evan

• 01-08-2009 11:29 AM In reply to

Re: Beomaster 4500 touchpanel issues

is the glass still intact? only damage is to the plastic bezel?
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 01-08-2009 12:09 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Yes, the glass is still in one piece. The bezel it rests in is cracked in four places, two along the top horizontal part and two along the bottom. This allows it to shift left and right. It is also cracked at its mounting tabs where they mount by the circuit board.

Evan

• 01-08-2009 12:34 PM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Hi,

I know you've removed the glass again but did the previous owner who dropped the unit refit the glass by himself? If he did what did he use to do bond the glass to the plastic?

Too thick tape can result in the symptoms your are suggesting. 

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 01-08-2009 2:17 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Yes the original owner did re-apply the glass with double sided tape that was way to thick. However, I removed it and the problem persists. The little rubber bits are leaning to the side. I think that this is the issue, they are not standing straight up.

Evan

• 01-08-2009 5:05 PM In reply to

The rubber fingers are supposed to lean over and have good contact with the glass . You will have to re-fix the frame to the glass off the unit because the pressure of the fingers will lift the glass if you use a glue that takes time to set . Done a few of these and all have worked after the re-fix .

Richard

• 01-08-2009 6:08 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The plastic frame is in 4 pieces from the factory, 2 end pieces and 2 parallel side pieces, so from what you describe they are probably not broken.

The end pieces are glued close to the glass' ends then the other two are centered between them. I use speaker cement, it will stick to almost anything, including glass. Make sure not to have any glue squeeze out when you press the parts firmly together, if the glue comes even close to the touchpads you will experience faults.

Cleaning using handwarm water will remove most of the old gooey foam remains.

If I remember correctly none of the plastic pieces are alike, at least it's like that on some models, so do a test fitting before glueing. If the holding tabs are broken you will have to find another set of plastic frames.

Martin

• 01-09-2009 8:26 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Dillen:

The plastic frame is in 4 pieces from the factory, 2 end pieces and 2 parallel side pieces, so from what you describe they are probably not broken.

The end pieces are glued close to the glass' ends then the other two are centered between them. I use speaker cement, it will stick to almost anything, including glass. Make sure not to have any glue squeeze out when you press the parts firmly together, if the glue comes even close to the touchpads you will experience faults.

Cleaning using handwarm water will remove most of the old gooey foam remains.

If I remember correctly none of the plastic pieces are alike, at least it's like that on some models, so do a test fitting before glueing. If the holding tabs are broken you will have to find another set of plastic frames.

Martin

Is there a parts dealer by chance? Or at least a good resource you know of?

Evan

• 01-09-2009 8:38 AM In reply to

This subject has been covered on the forum a number of times. I am sure a search would reveal several useful threads. 

The glass touch panels are no longer available from B&O. The cheapest option if you need to replace is to buy a cheap, cosmetically challenged Beomaster 3500 and rob the parts. They are identical!

Regards Graham

• 01-09-2009 9:18 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I was going to do just that if all else failed. Thanks.

Evan

• 01-09-2009 2:13 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

So could the plastic bezel tabs not supporrting the circuit board be the problem?

Evan

• 01-09-2009 2:16 PM In reply to

evman140:
    So could the plastic bezel tabs not supporrting the circuit board be the problem?

The spacial relationship between the glass and the board is critical.

Regards Graham

• 01-12-2009 9:00 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Yes, it is becoming quite apparent. Okay, here's an update: I have managed to get the bottom row of controls 100% functional. However, the green buttons that control the radio tuning next to the display still do not work, this is very troubling as they work without flaw when the glass is not in the way.

Evan

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)