in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-06-2008 3:33 PM by ipaul. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-30-2008 3:48 PM

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Avant dead?

Today my avant (100Hz VTR) turned off with a small bang showing a small white spot in the center.

After disconnecting all speakers and inputs I felt confident enough to turn the tv on again;

in the service menu I found the following error codes: 

1030 8C-2C

1030 88-2B

Is there any hope left or is the tube (almost) dead?

In the past (1.5 years ago) I had a problem with blue lines in dark pictures; I could fix this by lowering the tube voltage?

Recently the blue lines appeared again. Is there any hope that lowering the voltage could help again?

Is there a risk that connected beolabs or other equipment can be damages if the Avant breaks down severely?

Thanks for all help!

Bieele 

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 10-30-2008 4:04 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Re: Avant dead?

The service manual says on the error codes:

88-2B: RGB video processor

8C-2C: Deflection processor (HOP)

Still does not make any sense to me. Any help would be appreciated (I am not ready to buy a new telly yet!).

Thanks,

Bieele 

• 10-30-2008 5:36 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

I reduced the voltage to the tube; this way the blacks look perfect again.

Hooked up the digital-tv box and have decided to give it another try (I did not feel confident enough to hook-up the BL's). So far (1 hour) it works fine.

I am desperately waiting for you experts to answer the questions in my previous posts!

Bieele 

• 11-02-2008 5:19 PM In reply to

What voltage to the tube did you lower ??

On itself a 'dying' avant shouldn't damage any peripherals (the worst thing could be the 'bang' in the speakers because of the sudden switch-off but i don't know if that also occurs on the powerlink outputs).

From your description i'd say the tube is suspected, you can easily find out by tapping (with the rear end of a toothbrush or so) on the tube neck and see if the picture shows colour changes etc.

Do this only when you know what you're doing in order not to break the glass !!

• 11-03-2008 3:05 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the information. 

With resect to your question: I adjusted the G2 voltage; thisway the blue lines disappeared and the blacks got really black again. To do this I had to turn the potentiometer only a very tiny bit.

You are correct about the 'Bang', currently I have not connected any speakers and the center speaker alone can already produce quite a scary 'bang'.

Bieele 

• 11-06-2008 3:33 PM In reply to

'You live and you learn':....was working on a broken Avant 8420 with a suspected tube, it has the 'green fog' and stripes.

However, tapping didn't have any influence at all and the picture itself is still exellent...(many times with a bad tube it's not ok).

The better option for a good diagnose i guess is just to swap the cathode connections of 2 colours, by doing so i found out it is the tube after all.

So it seems not all faulty tubes are sensitive to 'tapping' it.... :)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)