in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-17-2008 10:05 AM by casdave. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-17-2008 9:51 AM

Beovox 600

Hi,

I am currently building a Single Ended valve amplifier, as part of this project I have acquired a pair of Beovox 600's. These speakers appear to be in very good "nick" bearing in mind they are 37/38 years old.

I would like to know however if they are worth using as I have seen a couple of reports stating they were a "stop-gap" speaker and were not of HI-FI quality, is this correct?

If they are in your opion worth tarting up has anyone done a similiar project and if so where did you source your parts?

Regards

Brian

• 10-17-2008 10:05 AM In reply to

Re: Beovox 600

The reason these are not considered hifi is because they could not meet the relevant DIN standard.(45 500?)

Do not be put off by this though, because some other speakers didn't meet it either, but when paired with an apporpirate source they sound well, I can think of the Type B and the type Ms for example and I believe the Beovox 1000 didn't meet this standard but was well suited to the Beomaster 1000.

There isn't too much to go wrong, as long as the speaker cones and coils are ok, you might want to replace the crossover capacitor with a non-polar type, this will definately improve things - replace one, and compare to the other and you'll soon hear the differance.

If you want something of a similar shape and size then the Beovox 2200 and the Beovox 1100 would be a good option, these did meet the DIN standard, however from what I have seen, getting hold of either at a sensible cost is a challenge.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)