in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-16-2008 7:47 AM by Steve at Sounds Heavenly. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-15-2008 11:51 AM

Probably the 1st MasterLink post!

Hi guys,

I need to get a MasterLink junction box and wanted to ask whether the junction box has a single MastLink cable attached to it? In other words, is there a fixed cable which comes out of the junction box and has a ML plug at the end of it (which I would then plug into the master unit)? Or would this be a single cable with two plugs at each end?

For one room in particular, I have realised it will be easier to wire the ML round the outside of the house. Is ML therefore weather proof?

And my final question on the unexciting topic of cables, is there such a thing as a cable tidy / cable tie for PowerLink cables, so that L and R cables are all in one cable and then split towards the end of the cable?

Apologies for the tedious questions and thanks in advance for any help! 

• 10-15-2008 1:27 PM In reply to

Re: Probably the 1st MasterLink post!

The junction box is just a small plastic box (larger version available) with contacts for the wires of the cable. There is no cable/pug included.

You can use a ready-made master link cable with two plugs, cut it in two pieces and use one of these pieces to connect it with the junction box.

But a junction box is not necessary if you are able to solder or connect the cables in another way. If a max. length is exceeded, it might be necessary to shorcut 2 special wires of the cable then (that the junction box shortcuts "automatically"). Pls. use the search function of the forum to find detailed information.

The original master link cable is not weather proof but I think this will be no problem if you are using a cable canal. But if it is usually getting very cold or hot in winter/summer at the place where you live you should consider a cable by an alternative manufacturer. E. g. CAT5 network cables can be used as well although they have fewer wires than a masterlink cable (but not all wires of the masterlink cable are used). Network cables are also available as outdoor or underground versions.

See the documentation on Beotech for further information: http://www.beoworld.org/beotech/

The Powerlink-Cable distributes the left and the right channel to the speakers. The Beolab speaker itself is configured as right or left one by a switch. You can connect Speaker 1 to your audio/video device and Speaker 2 directly to speaker 1, so there is not need for a dedicated cable connection between every single speaker and the audio/video device. You could even use more than 2 Speakers in a Stereo-Setup. To realize a sourround setup with front speakers and rear speakers, one powerlink connection is used for the front speakers and a second (completely separated) powerlink connection for the rear speakers.

• 10-15-2008 3:10 PM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 10-16-2008 7:47 AM In reply to

Hi Stars,

Your Masterlink questions seem to have been covered, so that just leaves Powerlink!

As mentioned previously, one Powerlink cable contains both left and right channels, meaning that you often only need to run one Powerlink cable to another room/listening location, hence there is usually no need for cable tidies or ties.

Just run the cable to the nearest speaker and set it to Left or Right channel as required.  Run a second cable from the other Powerlink socket of that speaker to the next speaker and set the switch on that speaker accordingly.  The main exceptions are with speakers such as Beolab 8000, which only have one Powerlink socket, so in these cases it is sometimes easiest to run 2 cables from the main system.

Best regards,

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)