in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-05-2007 2:46 AM by Roger. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-04-2007 5:55 PM

• Emil
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 98
    • Bronze Member

BeoVision 5 - is it still worth buying?

Hi All,

I'm considering an used BeoVision 5 and would very much appreciate your comments or reviews. Is it still worth buying? I haven't gone HD yet and I suspect it will take another couple of years. In fact, I even haven't gone digital yet. Still - the specifications of the non HD 5's are not very impressing if you compare it with more recent plasmas. 

Due to the price a HD-ready BeoVision 5 will not come in question for me for another couple of years. My wife prefers the looks of the BeoVision 7 so I suppose I will have to convince her that the BeoVision 5 at least is cheaper. 

Is there any visible differences between the MkI and the MKIII versions (both non HD as I understand)? Something I should look out for?

My main TV right now is a 10 year old MX 7000 which I'm still very satisfied with. However, I do miss not being able to use it in a home cinema setup.  On the other hand - I bought a used BeoVision 6 from year 2004 a couple of months ago and no matter how goodlooking it is the picture quality can unfortunately not be compared to my MX 7000. Obviously if a spend as much money as a BeoVision 5 commands I would appreciate a better, not only a bigger picture, than I have now.  

That said - the BeoVision 5 is in my opinion by far the most goodlooking TV I've ever seen. I do hope you hove something positive to say about it.

Inflagrante

Filed under:
  • 06-04-2007 6:07 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoVision 5 - is it still worth buying?

The BV5 still is very good value for money, but if you I had to choose between a non HD BV5 and a HD BV7 at a comparable price, I would, without a doubt choose the BV7.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 06-04-2007 6:19 PM In reply to

If I had the money and a choice between the two.. I would probably get the 5 everytime, HD or no HD.

In terms of design, nothing touches it... still looks great.  I thought it looked slightly dated compared to the 9 but now that I am used to seeing the 9, the 5 remains the best.

Technology will forever change, why bother keeping up when you can enjoy what is widely regarded was one of the best TVs ever made. 

• 06-05-2007 1:43 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Well, it all really depends on what you expect of the TV, besides the looks. As I roughly see it, BV5 today is optimal for:

-  a room where 42” fits ideally

-   using it with a SAT/STB with quality transmission (you might though need optical to SPDIF adaptor for best sound)

-  with BC2/DVD1 to enjoy your collection of dvds

I’m happy I’ve been able to enjoy just that for the last 3 years… I would say with BV5 you might still get superb AV performance in a “simple” home cinema setup (plus B&O integration etc), albeit with limited possibilities, as the technology used is a far cry from what B&O offers today. But that’s, I guess a different story – with a different price tag attached to it.

On the looks of BV9 v. BV5 I agree with mobeyone! The way the BS3 is mounted on the BV9 looks though quite neat. 

• 06-05-2007 2:46 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

The BeoVision 5 is a 42" plasma stuck on the chassis of the BeoVision Avant - in a clever design. How clever the design is can only be judged by you - I got a bit tired of explaining that "sound is half the picture" when people wondered why the bottom 42"-part never did light up. Especially since I know that this huge 42" piece of cloth only hides the (good but) tiny Avant speakers. The BV9 has a better ratio between screen and cloth IMHO (the left side hides the HDR-2 and the right side can hide the BeoMedia 1).

The BeoVision 7 is a different design - but one can not argue against the fact that it will not "over crowd" a smaller room in the same way a BeoVision 5 (not to mention the 9) does. It has a lighter design. The BeoVision 7 will outperform the non-HD BeoVision 5 when it comes to resolution, a game from a PlayStation 3 will look much cooler on the 7 - but, and this is the important part, on a regular broadcast most people will find that the 7 offers a picture that is rather flat compared to the vivid picture of the 5.

Roger

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)