in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-01-2008 2:53 AM by Ben. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-30-2008 8:42 PM

Attach glass

The glass on my Beo 4500 tape player came off the other day. The double stick tape appears to have split in half. Question: How do I get the tape off without scratching the paint on the glass? I am afraid that a razor blade may scar it. Also, where can I get B & O double stick tape, or can I use any double stick tape?

Please let me know if you have any experience.

Tomas

• 10-01-2008 1:30 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Re: Attach glass

That's the usual trouble with B&Os that have glass panels - the original tape won't last.

I reattached the glass of my Beocord 3500 (the same except mirrored/grey lid). I found that the best "tool" to remove the old tape is thumbnail even that takes some hour or two. But the result will be great and this way you won't damage the glass. 

Any double sided tape will do, you might need to try different thickness' to find a good one. If you plan to hang the Beocord to the wall you'd better make it as secure as possible to prevent the glass... dropping... being smashed!

I'd love to have official B&O tape...  

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 10-01-2008 2:27 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I agree with the above - fingernails are as good as anything but I'm sure one of us here will have found a suitable product. The main thing is preventing damage to the black coating on the reverse side of the glass as this has conductive properties and will affect the touch control if it is missing. Some solvents will be too aggressive and will strip this coating off completely and then you've got real problems as parts are no longer available for these.

I have successfully used 2 part epoxy resin to reattach the glass on these types of machine. If you use double sided adhesive tape which is too thick this will also affect the touch control up to the point that it won't work at all and will mean starting all over again.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-01-2008 2:40 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

I agree.
    I had some adjusting with the tape as it was too thick and the glass was too high and the touch controls didn't work. I added some filling to the hooks that attach the circuit board to the glass and so it worked. I was thinking that if I ever need to take the glass off it's easier with tape rather than glued. Still, if you find it easier with glue - go for it. It will hold for sure and it's easier.

If you look thrue the glass with a strong light you can see if there are any damage to the coating. I had one or two very small dots and I fixed it by using a black pencil to cover the damage (from underside).

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 10-01-2008 2:53 AM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

I left my glass panels to soak in warm soapy water for a while. The old tape more or less just peeled off after that!

Ben.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)