in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-01-2008 6:32 AM by Greg. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-16-2008 3:07 PM

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

BeoTalk 1200

I'm in the process of setting up my wife's home office with a new B&O phone system.  We have, on our home phone line, BeoCom 6000s with the old style black rectangle base, and rely on BT's answerphone service. For my wife's office line (separate line into the house) we've bought BeoCom 6000s (new style) and the new type small BeoLine base. As for an answerphone, I was able to get from my local dealer a mint condition ex-display BeoTalk 1200. 

The socket for the 'office' phone line (and broadband for both home and office) is in my study, on the opposite side of the house. So, no problem to plug in the BeoLine base in there, and her BeoCom is in her office paired to the base. So far so good. But, when I come to plug in the BeoTalk, that also has to plug in to the socket and (of course) isn't wireless, so will have to stay in my study. So, my wife will not be able to see or play messages without leaving her office and walking over to the study... which isn't the end of the world, but not super convenient.

I know you can access the BeoTalk remotely, dialing in from an external phone. Is there any way to pick up messages from a phone on the same line??  Or is the only solution to run a phone extension into the office (not ideal, because the phone already travels a distance through the house and line quality is poor :-(

Of course I haven't yet even powered up the BeoTalk, or tried to set it up which I understand is quite complex... 

• 09-16-2008 3:26 PM In reply to

Re: BeoTalk 1200

I have never found a way I am afraid. I must confess that in the days of 1571, the need for a dedicated answer phone seems limited and especially one that so spectacularly does not integrate like the BeoTalk 1200!
  • 09-16-2008 3:47 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Peter - I suspected as much. I hear what you're saying re 1571 but that isn't such a great option for a business, plus the BeoTalk's ability to treat different callers differently would be extremely useful and not something you can do via 1571 AFAIK.
  • 09-16-2008 4:02 PM In reply to

It is a shame that they do not do as a lot of companies have done and integrate an answer machine into a mobile phone system.
  • 09-17-2008 4:42 AM In reply to

what you need is a DECT cordless Socket, these were made by Siemens and re branded as BT Diverse Cordless Socket, I used one for my Beotalk 1200.

You see it acts like a DECT phone with its own extension but has a standard BT socket on the end, and you plug into this the Beotalk 1200.

I stoped using mine as I need 6 handsets on the base.

worked really well

setup was,  1x beoline base 5 x com 6000 1x dect socket and beotalk 1200.

great thing was you could dial the internal ext for the cordless socket and then listen to the messages without going to the maching.

JOn

• 09-17-2008 7:33 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

sensotronic:

what you need is a DECT cordless Socket, these were made by Siemens and re branded as BT Diverse Cordless Socket, I used one for my Beotalk 1200.

You see it acts like a DECT phone with its own extension but has a standard BT socket on the end, and you plug into this the Beotalk 1200.

I stoped using mine as I need 6 handsets on the base.

worked really well

setup was,  1x beoline base 5 x com 6000 1x dect socket and beotalk 1200.

great thing was you could dial the internal ext for the cordless socket and then listen to the messages without going to the maching.

JOn

Thanks Jon, that sounds like a great solution. Doesn't seem possible to get hold of the BT Diverse Cordless Socket any more, though.

I found a Disty DistyBox300 which seems like it does the same thing, but again hard to get hold of and quite pricey at £108 +VAT!! 

• 09-17-2008 8:23 AM In reply to

Is the Maplin DECT Wireless Phone Line Extender(£49.99) of any use?
  • 09-17-2008 9:25 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

TerryM:
    Is the Maplin DECT Wireless Phone Line Extender(£49.99) of any use?

Strangely enough I looked at that; as far as I could tell it's one of those that plugs into the mains and uses the mains wiring to take the signal to a power socket in the other room. That's fine, in that I could simply 'send' the phone socket to the other room, but there's a couple of problems - the ADSL is on the same line and I gather that can cause problems, and secondly the mains power to the front half of the house is on a different 'loop' to the other half - so not sure it'll work??

Ideally, I'd like to find one of the DECT solutions like the BT Diverse Cordless Socket or the DistyBox, which both seem to work by pairing themselves to the Beoline as if they were a cordless handset, and the BeoTalk just plugs into them. Problem is, having scoured the interweb I can't find anywhere in the UK that has stock of either of these...  all ideas gratefully received though!!! 

• 09-17-2008 12:19 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Well I've just ordered myself a distybox so we'll see how well that works... ;-)

G. 

• 10-01-2008 6:32 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Update - all working fine. Many thanks again for the cordless socket suggestion, the DistyBox works fine - only issue was that it only has pins 3 and 4 connected on the socket, whereas for some reason the splitter that's supplied with the BeoTalk uses 2 and 5, even for the line connection. Having found another thread on here that pointed me to that problem with the BeoTalk splitter, I was able to try the splitter from our old-style PSTN BeoLine base, which worked fine. I called into my local B&O dealer and he gave me a spare one - problem solved.

Only residual issue is that it takes a few seconds to register when a caller has hung up - apparently this is normal when you have ADSL on the same line as the BeoTalk. If it gets worse I'll maybe upgrade the filter but it seems OK as it is for now.

Incidentally, I also learnt something about getting caller ID from BT in the UK. We didn't have caller ID, because we were too tight to pay a subscription, but with the BeoTalk features it was required - plus we now have two BeoCom 6000 systems which could use Caller ID info.While you still have to pay if you ask for Caller ID, if you ask for 'BT Home Privacy' it's free and includes Caller ID! 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)