in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-27-2008 8:47 AM by Jandyt. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-24-2008 6:30 PM

• shane2468
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-24-2008
    • Southall, West London.
    • Posts 44
    • Gold Member

Passive Penta speakers

Hi there, I'm shane and I am new to this site.

I've never owned a B&O product before so I'm not very experienced with them. But I have always seen B&O at Hifi shops on display looking very pretty and mouth watering. And a couple of times I have heard some B&O stuff, and I must say their stuff sound very well. OK, for quite some time now I have been very interested in the B&O Penta loudspeakers, but only the passive versions. To my eye they always looked very nice and smooth and not to imposing.

Right, In my current existing system I'm using today is a pair of Rega ELA MK2 speakers with, NAD C272 power amp, Rotel RC-03 pre amp and a Technics SL150 MK2 turntable with Rega RB250 tonearm and Denon DL110 cartridge. The problem I find with my Rega speakers is that I find them weak with bass. Their vocal and midrange is nice as decent to me, but I don't find the sound to be lively and expressive. Most of the music I play is just Grunge Rock, Techno, Dance, Trance and some jazz. The Rega's do well with all these vinyls, but as I said they are weak with punch, and also they can be boaring sounding too.

I use my system in a square shaped bedroom at a size off 11 ft long and 8 ft wide. So, will the penta's be ideal for my system and room size?

Thanks for looking and I look forward to your replys.

P.S, I may be a bit slow with replying back to your responses, so please bare with me.

SPL

• 08-24-2008 7:27 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: Passive Penta speakers

Hi Shane, and welcome to Beoworld!
    Pentas are the best thing since sliced bread!  Mine are the active version, but they are just the same drivers and without going into facts and figures, the bass is pretty damned good!
    The Pentas have always commanded great respect, and I have yet to hear any negative remarks about mine.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-24-2008 7:51 PM In reply to

Andy's right in that Pentas are great speakers - and from my experience Beovox Pentas are great if driven by the right amplifier. In my case, I use a Beomaster 8000, so with 150W p/c available, it's more than able to drive the Pentas. I have no experience of the equipment you have, but others may want to add something here...

All I will say is that prior to moving to my current house, with its 22x16ft living room, I had the Pentas in a 12x12ft living room and that space was way too small for these speakers. If you plan to use them in a room that's only 8ft wide/long, they might be too much for that kind of space - seriously!  

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-24-2008 8:01 PM In reply to

• shane2468
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-24-2008
    • Southall, West London.
    • Posts 44
    • Gold Member

Hello,

Thank for your help, I might still try and risk the penta's one day. And if they don't succeed to do well, then I will have learn my lesson and just sell them and get a nice pair of Linn keilidh speakers. I once had a pair of keilidh's and they were outstanding speakers. Much better then my rega ela's.

SPL

• 08-25-2008 8:44 AM In reply to

• shane2468
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-24-2008
    • Southall, West London.
    • Posts 44
    • Gold Member

Hi,

Once again thanks for the help from last night. Please keep up the help, and if you have any other suggestions you are more than welcome to tell me. Also, I would like to know how tall the penta speakers are??

Also, Are these speakers room friendly? And can they be placed up against the back wall, or do they have to be far out??

SPL

• 08-25-2008 10:35 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Hi Shane,

I use penta's in a set up I have in my conservatory which is 4 X 4 meters and are very good for that space. I would certainly recommend them to anyone, you'll think someone has broken into your house overnight and remastered all your music collection!

BTW, they are 5 feet in height and can be placed anywhere. They are quite imposing though but probably the best value speakers around at present. You may also have foam rot problems in the mid range drivers but these are still available from B&O or you can refoam them if your DIY skills are above average.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-25-2008 10:44 AM In reply to

• shane2468
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-24-2008
    • Southall, West London.
    • Posts 44
    • Gold Member

Great,

Are your penta's passive? If so, what amp are you using to drive them? I have never heard penta's before and I have never heard people discribing their sound much. Weather if they are bright, warm or lively sounding. Then and again it all depends on set up. Also, how much do the passive penta's weigh?

Sorry to ask. I'm very bad with fourms.

SPL

• 08-25-2008 10:51 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

These details can be found if you explore the products section of this site... :) The pentas are renowned for sounding warm. They would probably be brilliant for your taste of music.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-25-2008 10:56 AM In reply to

• shane2468
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-24-2008
    • Southall, West London.
    • Posts 44
    • Gold Member

shane2468:
    Dave:
    These details can be found if you explore the products section of this site... :) The pentas are renowned for sounding warm. They would probably be brilliant for your taste of music.

Thank you for your help,

My NAD C272 Poweramp should go great with the penta's. I think NAD amps are well known for their warm detailed sound. My C272 power amp is BIG!!!! I'ts got a big tranformer inside and should drive the penta's well. I once used a pair of Linn sara's with the NAD with out failing to strain.

Thanks

SPL

• 08-25-2008 11:18 AM In reply to

To add a little caution here, I too have Pentas and like them a lot. However these are the active versions. The passives will be at least 17 years old and may well need new drivers as mentioned before.

From a sound quality point of view, I would identify the following:

1. They sound much better when you are sitting down. This is because the tweeters are quite directional and are then at ear level. 

2. The bass is actually not as extended as you may think. There are 4 small diameter woofers backed up by a pair of bass ports and the cross over is set so that there is an upper bass hump which gives the warmth described in the above posts. Below this the bass actually tails off quite rapidly - a bigger bass unit will give more bass accuracy. 

3. They are rather big - the mirror finish allows them to blend in to an extent but I think it fair to say the WAF (wife approval factor) is not that high. 

• 08-25-2008 11:23 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

shane2468:

1. Are your penta's passive?

2. If so, what amp are you using to drive them?

3. I have never heard penta's before and I have never heard people discribing their sound much. Weather if they are bright, warm or lively sounding. Then and again it all depends on set up.

4. Also, how much do the passive penta's weigh?

1. Yes.

2. I have them hooked up to a Beosystem 7000 and are driven by the Beomaster 7000

3. Extremely well balanced speakers which don't fail in any areas IMO.

4. Dunno - but they're pretty heavy, if I were to guess I'd say @ 15kgs each.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-25-2008 11:24 AM In reply to

I would also suggest that you listen to some Pentas first! You are not that far from Lee at Lifestyle AV in Eastbourne - he will have some Pentas set up - always have a listen before you buy - you may hate them!
  • 08-25-2008 1:43 PM In reply to

• shane2468
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-24-2008
    • Southall, West London.
    • Posts 44
    • Gold Member

Yes, that is really a good idea as in going down to life style AV to listen to the penta's. I have also visited the website and I see they are selling some passive penta's that dates from 1993. They say there in good condition with just some minor marks but they don't mention anything thing about the the condition off the woofers. But I'm sure there are intact.

SPL

• 08-25-2008 1:59 PM In reply to

If Lifestyle are selling them, the foam surrounds will be fine :)

Fair price too, IMO. 

• 08-25-2008 2:24 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

If Lifestyle are selling them, the foam surrounds will be fine :)

Fair price too, IMO. 

I agree. They will be fine.

Chris.

• 08-25-2008 4:15 PM In reply to

• shane2468
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-24-2008
    • Southall, West London.
    • Posts 44
    • Gold Member

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your support on the passive penta loudspeakers.

SPL

• 08-25-2008 5:08 PM In reply to

• shane2468
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-24-2008
    • Southall, West London.
    • Posts 44
    • Gold Member

Sorry,

Just another questionEmbarrassed What is the wire configuration on the passive penta loudspeakers?

Are they single or Bi-wireable 

Thanks

SPL

• 08-25-2008 5:14 PM In reply to

Single - there are two binding posts underneath the speakers - they are exactly the same as the active speakers which simply attach the power amplifier to these two binding posts. The Beolab Penta is actually a powered speaker rather than an active one in reality as the cross over is passive and above the power amplifier. The later Beolab speakers had active cross overs and separate power amplifiers for high and low range drivers.
  • 08-25-2008 5:16 PM In reply to

Single wirable - there are two binding posts under the towers for +ve and -ve wires.

• 08-25-2008 5:17 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:
    shane2468:

4. Also, how much do the passive penta's weigh?

4. Dunno - but they're pretty heavy, if I were to guess I'd say @ 15kgs each.

Chris.

Good guess! 17kg! 

• 08-25-2008 5:19 PM In reply to

• shane2468
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-24-2008
    • Southall, West London.
    • Posts 44
    • Gold Member

j0hnbarker:
    Single wirable - there are two binding posts under the towers for +ve and -ve wires.

Hello thanks,

The single wire cables that I have, have 4mm sockets. Would they be able to fit into the penta's?

Sorry, I know this is a silly question.

Sorry

SPL

• 08-25-2008 5:38 PM In reply to

Yep - just chop them off. The binding posts are for bare wires!

• 08-25-2008 5:52 PM In reply to

• shane2468
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-24-2008
    • Southall, West London.
    • Posts 44
    • Gold Member

Ok thanks,

Just bare wires then (For an expensive speaker!!) I was expecting binding posts on the penta's.

Thanks anyway

Shane

SPL

• 08-25-2008 6:12 PM In reply to

Yes - there are binding posts. You expose the wires, and wrap them around the binding post, then screw the nut up to keep the wires in place. Unless I'm missing something, that's it!

Peter - help me if I'm wrong! 

• 08-25-2008 6:25 PM In reply to

• shane2468
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-24-2008
    • Southall, West London.
    • Posts 44
    • Gold Member

Ok,

I understand, No problemYes -  thumbs up