in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-14-2008 8:37 AM by marktavener. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-14-2008 6:30 AM

Avant link problem

Long time lurker: First time post!!

I just purchased a master link cable to join up my Avant 32 (VCR) and  Beosound Overture. I purchased these 2nd hand some time ago, but the master link cabling had been cut and I had them set up in separate rooms until now. 

4 powerlink speakers are plugged directly into the telly and function well, providing surround sound with appropriate DVD and television sources. 

I had hoped to use the overture as an audio source, with the sound being routed to the speakers via the telly.

I've followed the directions for pre-programming the equipment from the user manuals: the avant is "option 2" and the overture "option 0". the two are connected by a 5m masterlink cable. 

However, nothing happens in response to commands for CD, RADIO or A-TAPE. the overture does not respond, nor does the avant. starting something playing on the overture does not result in any audio coming from the tv. 

Am I missing something? any help would be much appreciated!

MARK 

• 08-14-2008 7:00 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Re: Avant link problem

It does sound like you have a faulty masterlink cable, i.e. a loose wire in the junction box perhaps?

Roger

• 08-14-2008 7:00 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

And welcome as a poster!!

Smile

Roger

• 08-14-2008 7:10 AM In reply to

no junction boxes, and it's a brand new B&O genuine cable, straight out of the box! 

I don't have much scope to test it, the only option being sending it back to the shop.

Are there any other tricks/tips i can try first?  

• 08-14-2008 7:14 AM In reply to

Agree with Roger. However try switching everything off, leave for a while and switch back on. Then reset the options.

That is A.Opt 0 , V.Opt 2. That is the correct set up - I attach the page from the ML handbook. 

• 08-14-2008 7:17 AM In reply to

I take it that you know how to set Options? Much easier with a BL1000 which is why engineers always have one on them!
  • 08-14-2008 7:43 AM In reply to

It could be a number of things.

1. A defect cable? I have seen this before

2. A defect MásterLink input on the Avant?

3. A defect MasterLink input on the Ouverture? I have seen this before a lot of times..

What happens when you press cd on the Ouverture display? Does the avant turn on? Does the ouverture turn on?

Turn on the Avant. What happens when you hold the standby button for 5 seconds on the ouverture? Does the Avant turn off?

BMGHB

BeoVision10-46MKII,BL3,BL2,BS8,Beo5

• 08-14-2008 7:50 AM In reply to

pressing CD on the overture starts the CD spinning and playing, but no sound is routed to the speakers. 

With Avant on, holding the standby button on the Overture does nothing. Avant remains on.

I don't know much about the provenance of either piece of equipment. I do know the Avant has had quite a bit of work done on it: replaced tube, VCR removed, and there is a strange PCB attached to the rear of the TV set. I'll try and provide a picture (whether that helps, i have no idea). 

thanks for the tips so far! 

• 08-14-2008 7:56 AM In reply to

photo of random PCB on the outside of the back of the set. 

• 08-14-2008 8:29 AM In reply to

Its definetely not the cable. Do you have other MasterLink products you can try?

My guess is that the MasterLink input on the ouverture is defect..

Try taking it to your local delaer with your masterlink cable and let them test it in the shop while you observe...

BeoVision10-46MKII,BL3,BL2,BS8,Beo5

• 08-14-2008 8:37 AM In reply to

Unfortunately not - only non a ML Century and MX telly. 

Will have to try taking it to be serviced, although with no known dealers in Canberra (Australia) it will have wait until I get to a big city!!

Thanks for the help everyone! If anyone has anything to add, please do - I'll keep checking back in. Any hints on the circuit board are welcome too!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)