in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-07-2008 7:07 PM by soundproof. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-02-2008 1:42 PM

iPhone application question

I have downloaded the free application 'Mocha VNC Lite' from the Apps store.  Upon setup I am asked for:

1. VNC Server IP address - what is this and how do I find it?

2. VNC Server Port - same question as No.1?

Has anyone used this application, does it work ok or not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Peter G 

• 08-03-2008 10:31 AM In reply to

• madskp
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

Re: iPhone application question

The IP adress is for the computer you want to control. You will find this in you network settings. The VNC server port should just be set to the default value.

Also you have to enable the VNC server option in the remote desktop settings (asuming you are using an Apple computer.

I have tried it on both a PC and a Mac and it works like a charm Smile

• 08-04-2008 4:33 AM In reply to

The computer should have Remote Management enabled in System Preferences>Sharing>Computer Settings.

There you can tick off the options, while also setting a password.

The computer's IP number is also shown in the Sharing pane - enter it raw into Mocha - just numbers - for instance 10.0.1.199, or what other sequence is shown, without vnc:// first.

The program is brilliant. I have now parked my Edge DiNovo keyboard and am using my iPhone for the little text entry I have been doing. 

• 08-07-2008 12:22 PM In reply to

Thank you so much madskp and soundproof, I followed your instruction, found my ip address and inserted it as instructed, just the numbers and then the  VNC Server Port I left as default "5900" and it connected and worked straight away.  Fantastic, I love it.

What other facilities does this application offer and what does the upgrade that you can purchase do.

Many thanks again for your speedy help

Peter G 

• 08-07-2008 7:07 PM In reply to

The upgrade gives you a fancier keyboard, but I find I can navigate easily using the free version, and have no trouble opening and closing programs, etc.

I'm using it to control my Mac mini - haven't had the desktop up on my flatscreen since I installed this app. 

BTW - there are a number of interesting remote app's for those running WinAmp, Linux, Myth TV, etc on the iTunes AppStore.

Just go to the AppStore, search for "remote" and select "View All" 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)