in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-25-2008 4:05 AM by Ben. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-17-2008 6:55 AM

Speaker cable gauge?

Hi

I want to make up some cables for some B&O S55's that I have and thought I'd see what gauge/type of cable is recommended?  I already have the plugs so just need the cable.

Most of the B&O cables that I've seen in the past have been relatively thin (compared to some of the other stuff available).

Any recommendations?

Cheers 

• 07-17-2008 7:27 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Re: Speaker cable gauge?

You can't use too thick a cable as you have to be able to fit it into the terminals of the din-plug in booth ends (like these: http://www.av-connection.dk/?PGr=375&ML=370).

Regarding the specific cable, you can use what ever you like, do not spend a lot of money on cables for the S55, it probably worn't make a difference anyway. A cable like this would do: http://www.av-connection.dk/?PNo=SP2-075&ML=359  but you might prefer it in white or black.

br

Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 07-17-2008 7:50 AM In reply to

There is a lot on nonsense spoken about speaker cables in the Audiophile community and you can end up  paying a fortune.

A  relatively inexpensive medium thickness OFC cable should be more than adequate for the job, you should pay no more than a couple of euros a metre at most.

Simon

• 07-17-2008 8:25 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Agreed. Good mains cable will do the trick as well as any other cable, as long as it's got a low resistance and feels good. You can tell the difference between a good and bad cable by it's 'rubberyness'. Good cables generally feel soft and rubbery, whilst a bad quality cheap cable feels like plastic. This is only a general rule of thumb though, there are some exceptions.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-17-2008 9:20 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Alex:

You can tell the difference between a good and bad cable by it's 'rubberyness'. Good cables generally feel soft and rubbery, whilst a bad quality cheap cable feels like plastic.

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-17-2008 9:29 AM In reply to

Yeah, what is all this cack I have heard about cross-wiring speaker cables and stuff like that. I use relatively thick speaker cables but I buy online then you don't get all the nonsense from sales staff that in the main don't know what they are talking about.

The worst example of similar rip-off behaviour I have heard of was when I was working in Curry's as a student. DVD players had just started getting cheap - like £20 or so and this little old granny had bought one. For an add on sale, the salesman sold her one of those oxygen free, gold plated nonsense scart cables for £70. In the end I just gave her a scart from one of the display models.

• 07-17-2008 1:31 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:
    Alex:

You can tell the difference between a good and bad cable by it's 'rubberyness'. Good cables generally feel soft and rubbery, whilst a bad quality cheap cable feels like plastic.

LaughingLaughingLaughing

What? Surprise All the XLRs/Jacks I've bought which feel cheap 'n plasticy fail within months, wheras I've got some good quality jacks which go back 30 years when my dad bought his guitar.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-17-2008 2:19 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

ChrDH:

You can't use too thick a cable as you have to be able to fit it into the terminals of the din-plug in booth ends

Very true, I once tried to replace the wire on some S30's with some 2.5mm cable. That was about as big as I could go with the speaker connectors.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-17-2008 2:58 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Alex:
    Puncher:
    Alex:

LaughingLaughingLaughing

What? Surprise All the XLRs/Jacks I've bought which feel cheap 'n plasticy fail within months, wheras I've got some good quality jacks which go back 30 years when my dad bought his guitar.

They'll be plugs then  - I thought you where talking about cable.

The cable to which you infer will likely have an EPDM (rubber) sheath. This gives the cable the properties of abrasion resistance, flexibility, long flex life and general all round ruggedness. Just the job for a guitar or mic lead that is continually scraped along the floor, bent at all angles and then wrapped up again at the end of the night. You may, by now, have noted none of these properties are high up on the list of requirements for speaker cables.

Plain old PVC insulation will do perfectly well for speaker interconnects. As has been mentioned earlier a reasonable cross sectional area is by far the most important requirement.

• 07-17-2008 3:06 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Green coloured cables will a clearer, sharper and more rounded sound than inferior, mauve cables.
    Red cables give a really quick sound whereas orange cables tend to be a bit tangy.

All this must be true, it's on the internet.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-17-2008 3:09 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Jandyt:

Green coloured cables will a clearer, sharper and more rounded sound than inferior, mauve cables.
    Red cables give a really quick sound whereas orange cables tend to be a bit tangy.

Andy T.

Andy have you been on the Holsten again?LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-17-2008 3:40 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Jandyt:

Andy T.

Laughing Okay okay, I'm not trying to say that some speaker cables will sound better than others because of the way they feel or look (the only difference you'll find from what I can tell is related to the resistance of the cable, and the difference is still negligible), but a good cable will last longer.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-17-2008 3:49 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Wasn't having a do at you Alex, just got my Holsten and Biodiesel mixed up.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-17-2008 6:53 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Alex:
    Jandyt:

Andy T.

Laughing Okay okay, I'm not trying to say that some speaker cables will sound better than others because of the way they feel or look (the only difference you'll find from what I can tell is related to the resistance of the cable, and the difference is still negligible), but a good cable will last longer.

Good lad - you know it makes senseWinkBig Smile

I would say that normal, PVC insulated wire of  1.0 - 1.5 mm2 CSA is OK for almost all B&O amps & passive speakers. (I include the "almost" in case there are some I haven't remembered).

Bear in mind 1.0mm2 wire is approx. 0.019 Ohms per metre and 1.5mm2 is ~ 0.013 Ohms per meter (x2 as it is a twin cable). Compare this to your 4 or 8 Ohm speakers (this is a first order approximation). For longer runs use bigger cable - simple!

I'll leave their relative frequency response for audiophile mags to discussWink

As a "sanity check" look up the B&O supplied cables for their best/most powerful passive speakers and ask yourself  "why would they sell undersized cables for speakers that cost that much if a simple increase in cable spec/size made the speakers sound better).

• 07-18-2008 5:42 AM In reply to

Very helpful - thanks very much.  I just wanted to be sure there wasn't something specific that I should go for - common sense told me there wasn't, but always worth checking!

• 07-24-2008 6:26 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

hi all

just to add some info  -  i used cable from maplin (uk supposed electronics shop - now toys etc) with great effect on various speaker systems -n  a cleaner crisper sound to my jaded ears  -  details

Oxygen free(i think) by Eagle

label details  -  Speaker cable - High quality - 2 core - extra flexible - flat profile - 1.0mmx2 x 126/0.1mm  ref E635

this cable when used with maplin screw terminaled speaker din plugs works for me especially with the ease of plug connection!

hope this is of use - haven't had time to check maplin.co.uk website but suspect it is still available

salut a la france

tony s 

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 07-25-2008 4:05 AM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

After reading http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

I have abandoned buying thick, impressive looking cable, and an now back to using 'basic' 14/16 gauge cable!

Have a search for the Philips 16 Gauge on google, its nice quality, and is reasonably priced. Although I have used 1 or 1.5mm2 2 core flex for installations where the wire is hidden.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)