in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-24-2008 4:43 PM by lausvi. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2008 3:50 PM

Beomaster 1900 left channel hum

Hi all! I just joined Beoworld and have a question about my Beomaster 1900. It is a Model 2904. I recently purchased it, along with a nice pair of Beovox M70's for $175 U.S. I thought I had done ok until I heard this hum on the left channel. There is still music comming through the left channel along with the hum. Any ideas of the cause? A cap going bad? Is it terminal? Am I going to have to deal with a B&O dealer? Any advice to a B&O newby?

Regards

Sam

• 06-24-2008 3:58 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Re: Beomaster 1900 left channel hum

Its almost certain to be bad caps. I would advise replacing all the caps to prevent any further problems plus will sound a lot better. Dillen one of the members sell DIY re-capping kits. You will need to able to use a soldering iron. From my experience its difficult to find a B&O service centre who are willing to repair the older products.

Good Luck

Durban South Africa

• 06-24-2008 4:43 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Re: Beomaster 1900 left channel hum

I have once replaced the caps to the 1900-2 (very much the same as the 1900). There is a huge load of caps (around 60) to be replaced and the 1900 is not the easiest one as it's complicated structure and already hard to open if you don't have instructions. 

One interesting point with the 1900 is a tip I heard from Martin (Dillen on this forum). This is how he explained it:

The remaining hum could be due to a too low mains voltage. If your actual mains voltage is just below the switch setting, the Beomaster will often hum a bit. F.e. if set to 240V and mains is only 230V, it will be better to run it at the 220V setting. I know it sounds a bit out of normal practice but the Beomaster will not suffer.

I don't know if this has any help in your case as I would believe the hum to apply to both channels but never knows. If not, I would say it's a fuse relared thing indeed.

But be carefull if you touch the selector. A relative of mine who owns the 1900 was told to switch it back to 220v. (As it hummed in 240v setting). He accidently switched it to 130v setting and plugged it in and switched on even the mains voltage here in Finland is 220v! In this case only the fuse(s) needed to be replaced and the BM works but it might not end as happily every time!

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)