in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-21-2008 7:07 AM by Alex. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-19-2008 6:18 AM

Beovision 9 + Mac Mini

Hello All,

I have a Beovision 9, Beocenter 2 with Beolab 9 and Beolab 2 running Sky HD ALSO most importantly a recently connected new type MAC MINI.

I am having troubles with picture quality and wondered if anyone could assist.

My Mac Mini is connected using a HDMi cable with DVi adapter and for digital audio a TOS link cable.

My Issues:

1. If I play a DVD from the Mac Mini through the BV9 the picture isn't fantastic same to with music videos downloaded from iTunes?
    2. How do I store DVDs to my Mac Mini like a video Jukebox?
    3. My BV9 times out and goes in to STBY after 20 or so minutes?
    4. Does it matter what AV socket you go into on the BSYS3 chasis?

I would appreciate any help with above issues.

Many Thanks

Embarrassed

• 05-20-2008 6:31 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beovision 9 + Mac Mini

DVD quality - not much can be done! It's because the MacMini is connected via HD, the BeoVision 9 is expecting it to be an HD signal and therefore doesn't upscale it. It's the MacMini which is doing the upscaling, and it's not the best upscaling, especially on a 50" screen.

Video quality - simply because the iTunes Music Videos are meant to be played on a little iPod screen, not the best 50" TV in the world!

Storing DVDs - you'll want the app Handbrake, and use the 'Apple TV' preset when ripping. You'll get 5.1 audio and very good quality video. I've upped mine to 3000 kbps instead of 2500 and I'm using 2-pass encoding - takes a very long time, but it's worth it.

Standby - not sure about this, best to speak to your dealer.

AV socket - No.

You only meantion BeoLab 9s and a BeoLab 2. I assume that means you aren't running any rear speakers? Definitely worth the upgrade IMO, especially with being able to rip DVDs with 5.1 sound!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-20-2008 7:52 AM In reply to

Thanks for that, i looked into it and i've gone with the 'mac the ripper' app for the dvd ripping.

I have a cinema room upstairs so dont need the rears - thanks for the advice tho!

Is there anyway you can upgrade the DVD drive to Blu-ray?

• 05-20-2008 8:04 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

No, unfortunately.

You can however get external Blu-Ray drives, but I don't know of any software which is yet capable of playing Blu-Ray discs for OS X.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-21-2008 6:17 AM In reply to

buy a ps3 , the blu rays look stunning , you can browse the web with it and even play games

on a bv9 via hdmi they would look staggeringly good ! 

popgear is grate™

• 05-21-2008 6:19 AM In reply to

handbrake is also a superb dvd ripping app

http://handbrake.fr/ 

popgear is grate™

• 05-21-2008 7:07 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Flappo The Grate:

buy a ps3 , the blu rays look stunning , you can browse the web with it and even play games

on a bv9 via hdmi they would look staggeringly good ! 

Standard Def DVD doesn't look so special though. The upscaling in the BeoSystem 3 is quite frankly incomparably better to anything else I've seen on the market. Nothing else can make a SD DVD look like High Def on the 65" BV4.

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)