in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-22-2008 3:51 PM by burantek. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-31-2008 11:25 AM

mcl cable alternatives

hi all,

1.) i have seen this discussed elsewhere in the forum, but it seemed to all be about master link and not master control link.
    2.) i am not trying to be cheap, rather i like to explore alternatives that work as well as the original, and maybe save $
    3.) i am not interested in ml at this time (i am a retro guy) +i would use a ml/mcl converter if that ever changed.

i am in the infancy of laying out an addition to my home. over time i have collected mcl82 and mcl2 equipment in anticipation of this project.
    as most was bought either nos or used, the big void is in cabling. i have several runs of mcl cable, but not enough for the whole job. in addition, all of the mcl2 transceivers had their leads cut.

my intention is to run (3) seperate networks relative to vintage/location -(1) mcl82 and (2) mcl2. i have priced nos mcl cable (and will likely end up using it) but... there has been much discussion about using cat6 cabling w/ ml, so...

Q1.) is cat6 a viable alternative to mcl cable?
    Q2.) i have also sourced some high quality 7 conductor automotive cable -is that a better choice?
    Q3.) anything else i should consider?
    Q4.) reg'ing the cut transciever cable, can i just "patch" this in w/ similar guage wire (noting the white lead is smaller guage)?
    Q5.) anyone ever installed #7210611 (outdoor box) w/ the dpst switch for cold weather? any advice on switch? (i have also sourced these)

as always, thx in advance -and i look fwd to the discussion.
    • B&o bottle opener
    Filed under:
  • 04-03-2008 7:03 AM In reply to

Re: mcl cable alternatives

The MCL system is essentially an extension speaker system,so you can't use low level cable such as Cat 5/6 etc.

The cable comprises a speaker pair,a data cable and a 8volt supply cable.

The data cable is screened,and the screen is used as the return or ground also.

You could use normal (42 strand) speaker cable,with a seperate cable containing a screened data feed and supply/ground.

I've done this in the past,and if the runs are long,there are less problems with cable losses etc,although it's not as neat as the B&O cable.

Don't use "trailer cable" as the data feed needs to be screened.

Regards,

Nick

• 04-03-2008 8:21 AM In reply to

thx for the reply.

interesting that you mentioned "trailer" cable -as i sure did see a lot of that! -less the shielded wire.

fabbing your own cable out of the correct individual wires is an interesting way of looking at it, but, i agree -would not be as neat or tidy as the original.

of course, if it is all in the wall, well -who would ever see it?

with that said, i have got a quote from b&o for the correct cable US 343.25 for 325ft (or is that 393.25 -i can't read my own handwriting!!!) and will most certainly go that way. looking for drops on ebay, maybe i can patch it together.

++++edit++++

i do not need 325ft per above -way too much -and not cheap!
    anyone in the states have any drops? lengths? i can paypal you if interested in off-loading any extra cable.

LMK

++++edit++++

anyone have any advice on the transceiver wiring or the outdoor enclosure? i remember reading somewhere that the transceivers are ok in the sun (or else, 
    i suppose they wouldn't offer the outdoor kit). i would love to hear from anyone that may 
    have any of these installed.

thx in advance,
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 04-03-2008 1:25 PM In reply to

Transceiver cable for the MCL82 is special,but you can use alarm system seven core cable for the MCL2  sensor.Max run is about 10-12 metres,and you will need to work out a new colour code.

I've installed outdoor boxes for the sensors for both MCL and ML systems.They should'nt be positioned in direct sunlight.Also the boxes are not waterproof,and suffer from condensation in area's of swings in temperature.

Spiders manage to get inside(somehow!)and their nests affect operation (arachnobeophobia?!)also.

I used to put some polystyrene foam inside the box to insulate against temperature variations.

The installations have survived the peculiar UK weather so far!

• 04-03-2008 1:46 PM In reply to

solderon29:

Transceiver cable for the MCL82 is special,but you can use alarm system seven core cable for the MCL2  sensor.Max run is about 10-12 metres,and you will need to work out a new colour code.

++++sounds good! i will try to match them up -sounds like it will not be an issue.

I've installed outdoor boxes for the sensors for both MCL and ML systems.They should'nt be positioned in direct sunlight.Also the boxes are not waterproof,and suffer from condensation in area's of swings in temperature.

++++direct sunlight: i will have (2) in the outdoor position, both facing east w/ excellent wooded cover. so, "direct sunlight" may be only (4) hours max in the am. is the need to keep them out of direct light for:

a. exposure that will deteriorate the devices over time (fade, etc...)?

or

b. to ensure proper functiong w/ the remote?

i wonder if i could "tint" one of these w/ polycarbonate tint paint???

not having one in my hands it is hard to make some determinations, but it sounds as though these enclosures are effectively sealed... so once installed -you have no manual control, -only via remote... is that correct? so, i will try to seal as best i can against water ingress.

Spiders manage to get inside(somehow!)and their nests affect operation (arachnobeophobia?!)also.

++++great! we have black widows and brown recluses where i live! delightful!

I used to put some polystyrene foam inside the box to insulate against temperature variations.

++++sounds interesting, cosmetics?

The installations have survived the peculiar UK weather so far!

++++well, my weather can be peculiar too -wonder what life expectancy is on the transceivers in these installs?

again, thx so much for the help so far. i am really looking fwd to finishing the designs for the addition and getting this ball rolling!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 04-04-2008 1:02 PM In reply to

Direct sunlight will affect the sensitivity of the sensor,being pure infra red!

Mount the sensor box with the sensor facing slightly down,it will still work ok but won't be getting the sun directly on it.

Use packing type foam or even that spray can expanding stuff to fill the space inside the box and insulate the electronics from varying temperatures outside

• 04-04-2008 4:01 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

solderon29:

LaughingLaughing

That word deserves an entry in the OED Nick.

I wonder how much it would be worth at scrabbleHmm

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-13-2008 10:46 AM In reply to

any advice on exterior runs of mcl cable?

my home addition will be fine, but i may locate the master in an older section of the house for one of the mcl networks i am planning. i am not going to tear up more sheetrock than i have to. 

i have run cat on the exterior w/o conduit and w/o issue. 

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-22-2008 3:51 PM In reply to

bump...

at stage where i need to finalize master placements...

any thoughts on my previous post re: exterior (outdoor) runs of mcl cable?

++++edit++++

or powerlink (speaker) cables

++++edit++++

thx in advance,

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)