in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-25-2008 4:08 AM by Zwets. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-23-2008 2:42 PM

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Just got a Beosystem 4500! Girlfriend slightly angry!

Yes I did a crazy thing. Bought a beautiful mint condition Beosystem 4500. Opened all three components and cleaned them, greased the Beocord and just lined them up together with a pair of Beolab 4000's. It works perfectly and there are absolutely no scratches on any of the surfaces.

Now the main problem: my girlfriend thinks that we don't not need it! I tried to explain that this is a design classic and that it's very different to our BeoSound 9000 and Beosystem 7000 or BeoSound 3. Some of you must have the same problem with your counterpart. How do you convince your partners that a mint B&O classic is an opportunity that you simply have to seize. Or do you just change partners?

• 04-23-2008 2:52 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Re: Just got a Beosystem 4500! Girlfriend slightly angry!

Yes, if all attempts fail, just change partner ! Smile

I had similar experience; "do we need another B&O stereo system?, we already have several"
    Explained that it is an absolute classic, moved the white Beosystem 6500 to another room,
    problem solved. 

Smile 

Congrats on your purchase, the Beosystem 4500 is my all time favorite !  

• 04-23-2008 2:54 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Having a similar problem at the moment, I wnat to get a pair of speakers for our BS3000. Carol thinks we don't need any. Easy way round it was to suggest getting a pair of Penta's as they are Carol's favorite speakers.Wink

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-23-2008 3:05 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

This is a tough subject, as it's not necessarily B&O related.  First off, do you guys live together?  I know it's a personal question, but I think it really affects the view on the situation.  Since you said that she said "we don't need it," I'll assume she said that because you are living with her.  If that's the case, you may have wanted to consult with her before bringing a major item like that into the house, especially when you already have 3 other systems.  I imagine that if without telling you, she had brought an equally intrusive item into the home without telling you, and had just expected you to understand, you wouldn't be thrilled.  Or even if you wouldn't have minded, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can expect her to feel the same way.  Does she simply think it's not necessary, or is she bothered by how much space it takes up?

In my own case, I'm very fortunate that my girlfriend really likes both my 4500 system and pentas, and likes thinking about having them in a home we'd share one day.  If she didn't like them though, then she wouldn't be in a place to say I shouldn't have them in my own home, as she doesn't live with me.  If we were living together, then yes she should have a say about setting up the system, as it would be encroaching on her own living space.  That's why I had asked whether you live with her.

Many times you'll see people, especially married ones, say something like "well then just buy her a ____ to make it even."  Or wives will say "I told him he could get ____, once I get my new _____."  I don't think it should work that way though.  Being in a relationship doesn't mean you've entered into a bartering system when it comes to acquiring possessions.  It means you understand each other well enough to work out these situations.

Austin 

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 04-23-2008 3:14 PM In reply to

I just lied and said that the Pentas I bought would be 3ft tall and not dominate our living room...

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 04-23-2008 3:18 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:
    I just lied and said that the Pentas I bought would be 3ft tall and not dominate our living room...

What happened when you got them home though.Laughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-23-2008 3:27 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

B&O......... Girlfriend............ B&O ............... Girlfriend.............. HmmmmmmmmHmm

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 04-23-2008 3:28 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Craig:

j0hnbarker:

What happened when you got them home though.Laughing

CraigSmile

While they may not be 3 ft tall, I do feel j0hnbarker is right in saying they won't dominate his living room...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-23-2008 3:29 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

I was a little more devious, I bought some RL140's which are the size of a barn door which I just knew my wife would hate. Swapping them for penta's was just soooo easy.

BTW she wasn't totally enamoured by the size of the penta's but she loves them having heard them.

If all else fails buy her some shoesBig Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-23-2008 3:39 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

She just been reading the reply's and shouted: Yes, Camshaft is on my side! Thanks Camshaft, you just made things worse.WinkWinkWink
  • 04-23-2008 3:51 PM In reply to

Send my girl on vacation! when she got home "we" where the proud owners of a Avant Party!!!.... Well I was proud, she was mad for a week or so. It went better with the next thing a overture...

BTW. She picked out our front speakers, (BL penta) what she didn't now was, I got some rear speaker (BL4000) at the same time Smile 

• 04-23-2008 3:54 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Just before Christmas 2006 I went and brought a BS3000 without telling Carol. What made it worse was that I sold our Beocenter 9000 which she did like. Infact she would not use the Beosound for the first few months. Still I get the odd comment on the subject even now.Laughing

CraigSmile

• 04-23-2008 4:11 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Beolab1:
    She just been reading the reply's and shouted: Yes, Camshaft is on my side! Thanks Camshaft, you just made things worse.WinkWinkWink

Sorry Beolab1 Laughing

Well then I guess you'll just have to convince her that it is indeed one of the most beautiful stereo systems ever produced.  No one walks into my house without staring at it for a second before asking "what is that?"

Austin 

• 04-23-2008 4:28 PM In reply to

You people got off cheap! Big Smile

When my wife saw what I paid for the new BS9000 and matching BL8000 she suffered from mild "sticker shock" -- she may have actually hemorrhaged.  However, I sat her down and played some of her favorite music and all was forgotten... well almost... I also had to install a new stereo in her car including new speakers and amps - she said it wasn't right to have to listen to the factory stereo in her car after hearing what the music can sound like.  Then SHE recommended we get a stereo for the bedroom.  I purchased a not-working BM6500 and a matching CD player (and reconditioned both).  That went over well, but the speakers (BL6000) cost me a new MacBook Air.

Though, I have to say... if it's a strain on your relationship, you'd be better off selling it.  Sell it!  Sell it now!  Sell it fast! Sell it to the first person you can!  "I got $20 right now, no questions asked!"  (That almost never works Smile

• 04-23-2008 4:36 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

srywrgnbr:

You people got off cheap! Big Smile

When my wife saw what I paid for the new BS9000 and matching BL8000 she suffered from mild "sticker shock" -- she may have actually hemorrhaged.  However, I sat her down and played some of her favorite music and all was forgotten... well almost... I also had to install a new stereo in her car including new speakers and amps - she said it wasn't right to have to listen to the factory stereo in her car after hearing what the music can sound like. 

Smile  That's so delicious, it has got be fattening Smile

• 04-23-2008 4:44 PM In reply to

heehee...

as some of my other posts/queries may mention...

i am in the middle of initiating an addition to the home and have been amassing mcl82 and mcl pieces to establish (3) separate networks around the house (zones) using (3) different masters.

when my wife inquired as to what i was doing w/ all these pieces (while testing) ...i explained feverishly how i was going to incorporate audio around the home as part of the rehab. i explained how it worked and showed her. she was quite impressed and indeed excited about incorporating these networks.

then... as she departed the "laboratory" -she stopped, turned and said...

"well, if you can do all that with (3) "stereos" -then... why do you have 50?!?!?!"

i just broke out in a belly-laugh and said "i love you."
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 04-24-2008 5:13 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Beolab1:

Yes I did a crazy thing. Bought a beautiful mint condition Beosystem 4500. Opened all three components and cleaned them, greased the Beocord and just lined them up together with a pair of Beolab 4000's. It works perfectly and there are absolutely no scratches on any of the surfaces.

Now the main problem: my girlfriend thinks that we don't not need it! I tried to explain that this is a design classic and that it's very different to our BeoSound 9000 and Beosystem 7000 or BeoSound 3. Some of you must have the same problem with your counterpart. How do you convince your partners that a mint B&O classic is an opportunity that you simply have to seize. Or do you just change partners?

What's it got to do with her? Woman just don't understand these things! How many do you know who have much if any interest in technology, except perhaps their mobile phone?

If I'd consulted my wife many years ago when I first purchased B&O, I wouldn't have been 'allowed' to have them. Would have finished up with Amstrad or some such rubbish!  Don't bother trying to convince, it's impossible, so don't waste your breath!

Wink 

• 04-24-2008 5:29 AM In reply to

It's all about : "testing the water" ...............I really do love many B&O items and before we moved in together I asked her wether she likes things "big" (I'm 6"6....:-) she said yes, so I bought the penta's ! again I asked wether she likes sound and vision around the house and again she said yes, so I bought her a few BV3's and an Avant on every floor of the house ! she likes painting on the wall she said, so I bought her a few sets of BL5000 and BL4500.....Stick out tongue Who can resist such a girl, so I married her last year........................Drinks
    Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 04-24-2008 6:04 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

And if she'd said 'NO' each time to the items, what then?
  • 04-24-2008 8:50 AM In reply to

kokomo:
    And if she'd said 'NO' each time to the items, what then?

she would'nt dare : she got the B&O and the guy all in one package !  Party!!!

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 04-25-2008 1:32 AM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

kokomo:

What's it got to do with her? Woman just don't understand these things! How many do you know who have much if any interest in technology, except perhaps their mobile phone?

If I'd consulted my wife many years ago when I first purchased B&O, I wouldn't have been 'allowed' to have them. Would have finished up with Amstrad or some such rubbish!  Don't bother trying to convince, it's impossible, so don't waste your breath!

Wink 

Its got alot to do with her, as its also her living space.  Imagine if she had painted the kitchen an awful shade of baby blue without even asking him, and then her friends backed her up by saying "What's it got to do with him?  Men just don't understand these things!"

Austin

• 04-25-2008 4:08 AM In reply to

I think my wife would shoot me if I ever got rid of my 4500 Super Angry
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)