in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-04-2007 12:00 PM by nclifton. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-02-2007 10:30 AM

Misbehaving Beomaster 5000

Hi, my first time in Beoworld and so far have found it very helpfull.

I need help. I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Beomaster 5000 with the 6500 cd and 5005 turntable. All has been working well for up to now. The amp/ reciever will only opperate for around 25mins, it gets hot and then shuts down. 

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? If there is a problem where is the best place to get it repaired, I am in Sheffield England.

Or would it be better to find a replacement?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Nick 

• 05-02-2007 11:11 AM In reply to

Re: Misbehaving Beomaster 5000

Nick

I live in Sheffield too, though am not aware of any repairers in the immediate area other than the B&O dealership on Ecclesall Road which I know has a repair shop facility. Whether they'll even be interested in a BM5000 is a different matter. I own one too, though thankfully I have not yet experienced any probs with mine.

There are a number of private individuals who like to repair older B&O equipment who may come forward and offer to help and I'd be inclined to go with them if you don't mind posting it. A great guy called Tim Jarman fixed up a Beolit 609 for me, and he may be able to help. He can be contacted via the Beocentral website at www.beocentral.com though he's in Farnborough so you'll probably need to post the BM if he'd be interested in fixing it.

Anyone else know of anyone in the Yorkshire area who might be able to help?

John

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 05-02-2007 11:11 AM In reply to

I would get it fixed! It will probably be capacitors or a variable resistor or two. The 5000 is in many ways the best of the series and is well worth fixing. Tim Jarman at Beocentral could do it or maybe a volunteer amongst our many members in the North!
  • 05-02-2007 2:58 PM In reply to

Thanks for the advice. I will try to get in touch with Tim.

Cheers Nick

• 05-02-2007 3:08 PM In reply to

• Beowulf
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Derbyshire
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

Hi Nick,

I can highly recommend B&o Arnold, Nottingham and B&o Wimborne Minster in Dorset, They have obtained spares for me too including a new alloy control cover for a Beomaster 6000.

Let me know how you get on in Sheffield!

Regards

Dave 

Beowulf

• 05-03-2007 5:42 AM In reply to

Hi Dave, thanks for the response. I may try my local shop in Sheffield, however I am concerned at how much they may charge. Anyway I will give them a call and let you know.
  • 05-03-2007 5:44 AM In reply to

Thanks for the advice I will let you all know how I get on.

Cheers Nick

• 05-04-2007 10:26 AM In reply to

Dear all,

I have managed to sort out the problem and will describe what happened so that others may learn from my stupidity.

The issue didn't start until I tuned in the reciever on the BM5000 when I purchased the system there was a coax cable plugged in which I assumed was for the radio airial. I plugged this into an old portable TV airial and waved it arround to find the best signal. I live in a dip and reception is poor. The best signal was recieved when I rested the airial ontop of my CX100 speakers.

The case of the speaker is aluminium, so I think I created a circuit which caused the formentioned problem. Anyway I have removed the airial and all systems are back to normal. Thankfully the BM 5000 is robust enough to withstand my stupidity even after 20 odd years.

Does anyone know the correct airiel to use and where I could get one??

Cheers Nick

P.S. thanks for the advice, it made me call a local hi fi repairer who told me the problem could be in the speakers which put me on the right line. All for free. 

• 05-04-2007 10:31 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Cool!

The easy solutions are always the bestBig Smile

You can use the 'rabbit ear' FM antenna which is still available from B&O - don't try ebay as they tend to cost more there for some daft reason - they are probably listed as suitable for the BS3200/ouverture. There is a small 'V' near to the antenna socket at the back of your beomaster which it simply slots into.

PS. there will probably be an extra bracket part for use with the 3200 which you don't need.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-04-2007 12:00 PM In reply to

Cheers Chris, I will give it a try.

Nick

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)