in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-06-2008 12:58 PM by Medogsfat. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-04-2008 6:34 PM

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Beogram 8000 drags stylus

My Beogram 8000 suffered at a repair facility to such an extent that I gave up on the turntable. This 8000 was cosmetically pristine so a friend offered me the “works” from a tattered, but functioning Beogram 8000.

With everything changed out, I now have a functional Beogram 8000, with one exception. When the turntable is playing a record if either the forward or reverse arrows are depressed, the arms move in the desired direction BUT without picking up first. (Dragging the stylus across the record.)

Otherwise the Beogram 8000 plays correctly and picks up automatically at the end of play, so I mentioned this curiosity to my friend who had provided the mechanics and he said “they are all like that, you have to press the up button first.”

Well that is certainly not the case with my 4000, 4002, or 4004 and from memory was not the case with my original 8000 prior to it developing problems.

So is this an adjustment, or do I have a problem with the micro-processor?

Jeff

• 02-04-2008 7:08 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 8000 drags stylus

Jeff:

I doubt that this is the microprocessor.

But you have 2 now right? Why don't you swap them to convince yourself?

BTW, there is no up button on the  BG 8000.

This problem may have to do with the optical gate adjustment on the control panel. There are instructions for aligning this based on 2 big screws underneath in the service manual.

What you might want to do is move the panel from your original 8000 deck into the new one and see if it makes any difference.

Derek

• 02-04-2008 7:29 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Derek:

I stand corrected, I should have said I use the “Pause” button, which causes the arm to raise and remain stationary.

No, I don’t have the “works” from my original BG 8000 or the tattered shell from the donor, both of which were returned to my friend in California.

Talk about the short end of a deal. I got a pristine shell and dustcover with a functioning mechanism while my California associate got a tattered turntable in deplorable shape. Suffice to say, this is a most generous friend.

Being the creative genius that he is, my friend got my old BG 8000 to function, but from what he was telling me, it was like re-inventing the wheel. More challenge than I would ever wish to tackle.

I had already tried removing the control panel in an effort to save exchanging the entire works; however the problems went with “my” control panel, so everything was exchanged.

I will tackle the adjustment over the weekend.

Thanks for the advice, which is most appreciated.

Jeff

• 02-04-2008 8:55 PM In reply to

Jeff:

This is just a guess.....some things I'm certain of because I've had direct experience... others not.... and this is one of them. Perhaps Martin will come to the rescue if all fails.

My experience has been either the CPU works or it does not.

When I say  "control panel" I mean the board where the buttons are, not the control board (which is where the electronics and micro reside. The control panel is passive (just switches on there and the light gate). This should transfer over without incident.

Derek

• 02-04-2008 10:18 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Derek,

The Beogram 8000 functions properly in the sense that it dependably will play a record. Press play and the tonearm moves into the correct position and drop gently on the record. The turntables plays with no issues and the tonearm picks up at the end of play with no problem.

The only problem comes if I want to skip a passage and forget to press the pause button. Then the stylus drags across the record.

As I recall I transferred the entire assembly, meaning control board as well as the panel with the buttons and whatever troubled my original 8000 transferred to the nasty looking 8000.

Thus I exchanged everything from one deck to the other, and I have a working deck in good esthetic condition.

I can easily live with this idiosyncrasy, but if it is a simple adjustment, I’d love to know how to make it.

Thanks.

Jeff

• 02-05-2008 8:44 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

It's definitely a fault.

The Beogram is supposed to lift the tonearm at the slightest touch of the << and >> buttons.

Check the signals around IC2 (pin 8,9 and 10) where the manual lift command is generated from the << and >> buttons. A clear signal should be visible at the output (pin 8) of the opamp, going to the CPU pin 31 where you should also confirm the presence of the signal.

Check for bad solders where the ribbon cable from the processor goes to the main PCB and any other connector, especially the transformer and edge connectors are eager customers.

Martin

• 02-06-2008 12:58 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I have a good condition working button panel with PCB from a BG8000 if you think it may help.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)