in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-04-2008 5:25 AM by david707. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-02-2008 6:27 AM

DVD1 freezing

My newly aquired DVD1 can freeze when playing DVD+RW discs. The Sony RDRGX7 which made the recordings does not suffer from this problem. 'Proper' factory pressed DVD's are fine on the DVD1. This is all hugely annoying when making DVD copies of home videos. I copied much of my DV and Hi8 material onto DVD thinking it was robust and high quality - not subject to fickle drop-outs and variations between players. The DVD1 also does not like DVD-RW or -R  even though it is a later Philips machine from 2003 which is supposed to handle these OK. Is there a fault with the DVD1 or is the Sony not recording the disc properly? 
  • 01-02-2008 7:16 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Re: DVD1 freezing

did you buy it abroad different region if so that might help! seen that written in( av forum)

DVD1 must be powered off (mains lead out), with no disk, and connected to a TV.
    Hold down the << and >> keys and restore power. Release the keys.
    The display will show "r02" or similar, indicating the current region setting for the player. Use the << or >> key to change the 02 to the region you want. Then press the play button. After a few seconds the TV screen will go blue and this shows that your DVD1 is now re-coded.

However: There appears to be no "multi-region" setting, although the first time I tried to modify my DVD1 the display showed "r--" but after that I could never get back to it! Maybe if I'd been smart enough to hit play straight away it may have made my DVD1 multi-region. Who knows?

Also, I believe that one can only change the region setting for the DVD1 twenty times before it does something nasty, like stick [permanently on the last region setting you chose.

• 01-02-2008 7:58 AM In reply to

• marc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Paris
    • Posts 23
    • Bronze Member

Hello,

According to the documentation here, "There is a limit of FOUR changes to the product over its lifetime (without professional servicing.)".

By the way... Happy new year !

Marc 

Happy thankful 2nd prize draw winner of a Beosound 3 in june 2007
  • 01-03-2008 5:49 AM In reply to

This is not a region coding problem. Factory pressed DVD's work OK. The freezing problem is with +RW/-RW/-R
  • 01-03-2008 5:54 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

A region coding issue would not cause a crash, the DVD player would simply refuse to play it.

I've played a DVD-R disc in a later DVD1 before, have you had any problems with any other discs at all?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-03-2008 6:45 AM In reply to

Agree with Alex, this is not a region coding problem.

Sounds like a problem with the reflectivity of different media. I have used DVD-R on DVD1's with no problem but only after cleaning the laser lens.

In fact I have made a number of DVD1's rise from the dead by performing this relatively simple task!

Regards Graham

• 01-03-2008 7:42 AM In reply to

I agree that your problem has nothing to do with Region coding.

However, depending if your DVD1 is a Mark I or Mark II version, you may need a software update. Years ago I had this type of issue and after the firmware had been updated in the unit, it resolved the problem.

What is the 4 digit Type number on the back of the unit ?

Regards Keith....

• 01-03-2008 7:53 AM In reply to

I have tried a variety of good quality branded media TDK and Sony +RW and -RW discs. The DVD1 is likely to crash at any time with any of these recordable discs. It has never crashed on DVD's other than these. Is it more important for the lens to be perfectly clean while playing back recordable DVD's? Can you give instructions on how to clean the lens or point me to a reference for this?
  • 01-04-2008 5:25 AM In reply to

The type number is 4620 (made in 2003) and serial number 17002189. I have another DVD1 (similar age) which does the same. It will play for a while then start to freeze with horizontal lines and the sound will break up followed by a crash. Is this firmware upgrade a free service from a B&O dealer? 

I deliberatly went for models after serial number 16255681 as discussed in http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/45057.aspx to avoid issues with DVD-RW but was unaware of general problems with other recordable media.

Regards,

David

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)