in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-15-2011 2:55 AM by Peter. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-15-2011 12:48 AM

• covent
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-12-2011
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 26
    • Silver Member

what pickup/catridge fits on a BeoGram 9500?

In the documentation here at the web it say that the pickup/catridge that fits on a BeoGram 9500 is MMC2.

I wonder if there is anyother pickups/catridge from B&O that fits on the record player or am I stuck to use the MMC2?

Would be realy helpful to know if someone could awnser me me what all B&O pickups that fits.

• 03-15-2011 1:36 AM In reply to

Re: what pickup/catridge fits on a BeoGram 9500?

Any of the later MMC series will work with your Beogram - from the top of the range MMC1 to the more basic spherical stylus mounted MMC5.  The series of cartridges manufactured by Soundsmith for B&O turntables will also work well.

The MMC2 is a very good cartridge - some people consider it to be too good for the deck - and it was the standard fitting on the Beogram 9500.  If you have one fitted, I'm not sure why you would want to change it.

Cleve

• 03-15-2011 1:37 AM In reply to

• murcieme
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-17-2007
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 73
    • Gold Member

It was engineered to sound best with the MMC2, but you can certainly get away with using any of the other MMC cartridge as long as you adjust the tracking force.  You could use an MMC4 (or the Soundsmith equivalent) and be more than happy!

Mike

Since 1977

• 03-15-2011 1:45 AM In reply to

• covent
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-12-2011
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 26
    • Silver Member

thanx four your reply.

I'm not sure why but suddenly one channel died when I was playing my vinyl. I borrowed a MMC2 from a friend to see if it was the pickup and it playes both channels fine with the borrowed one. When I switch back to mine, it's the same, one channel is dead.

I know that on pickups like Ortofon you can replace the stylus unit, is that possible on MMC-x or do I need to change everything?

• 03-15-2011 2:55 AM In reply to

Unfortunately not an uncommon problem. You can try one trick though no guarantee. Take you defective cartridge and look at the pins coming out of the back. These can loosen, particularly in the newer cartridges. If one looks a little further out, you need to tap it gently with a small hammer. This might re-establish contact. If it works, never take it out again!!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)