in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-09-2009 4:35 PM by Dillen. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-08-2009 4:00 PM

Replacement woofer for Beovox S45?

Good evening,

This is my first post here as I am a newborn B&O entusiast.

I have a Beosystem 3300 with a pair of Beovox S45 (http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=667) where the foam edge of the 8 inch woofers are breaking away slowly but certain...Sad

Is there any suitable replacement woofer on the market that does not cost a fortune?

Is it possible to get original replacement woofers from B&O still?

For this speaker, what is important to consider when replacing the woofer with a different than original one?

I appreciate all the help I could get...thanks

//Henrik

• 10-08-2009 5:24 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Replacement woofer for Beovox S45?

Welcome to Beoworld !  Yes -  thumbs up

In my opinion, the best solution is to repair the original woofers.
    That's the only way to keep the specs exactly as intended by B&O.
    I'm in Copenhagen and I've repaired many.

Suitable modern replacements are hard to find and will not be cheaper than a repair.

Martin

• 10-09-2009 3:07 PM In reply to

Thanks Martin,

This was the answer I more or less expected. I was hoping that there was an off the shelf woofer that would be suitable for the Beovox as I want to enjoy my system immediatly Smile Anyway, I guess you are right and now I´ll need to find a company nearby that can help me to repair them.

What is a bit strange with my speakers is that one of them has a lot of nice bass and with great volume in it but the other one (the one with the rotting foam) is sounding far less...I mean the foam is still there (even if it is starting to rot) so one would expect the volume to be the same atleast even if the woofer would have less pressure in its bass, right?? I suspect that there is something else wrong with this..?

I have read on this forum that people who are restoring their speakers are recommended to change the capacitors as well...but as far as I know the capacitor is used for the tweeters crossover (and these seem to be ok) so this shouldn´t be the reason for the lower volume...or am I completly wrong here?

I wish you a nice weekend!

Henrik

• 10-09-2009 3:33 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Henrik,

The turnaround time for refoam jobs is normally a matter of a few days, so nothing to worry about IMO.

After 20+ years the capacitors will be if not bad then at least marginal by now.
    The speakers may sound good to you but are they actually performing as good as they can
    and as B&O intended ?
    Based on experience and many owners reactions, I feel safe in saying that most speakers are not.
    I would recommend replacing the caps while in there. Convenient capacitor kits exists for most
    Beovox models, actually also including these even if it's merely a pair of capacitors.

Woofers with a rotten - but still physically intact - surround will give a very soft bass
    response (some people actually like this) but when the surround starts to physically fall
    apart and holes open up, the woofer will be more or less acoustically shorted and the
    bass response will feel "lacking".
    After a refoam, the woofers will need "playing in" for some hours before the new surrounds
    have losened up to "normal". Not unlike when the speakers were new.

Where are you based ?

Martin

• 10-09-2009 4:20 PM In reply to

Hello again and thank you for another quick answer Smile

Ok then I will replace the capacitors as well. Can I buy the kit directly from B&O (in Gothenburg)? Do you know the approx. price for this kit?

I am located 70 km north from Gothenburg in Sweden.

/Henrik

• 10-09-2009 4:35 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Henrik,

The capacitor kits are made by me so cannot be bought from B&O.
    Your woofers are welcome here (Copenhagen) for repair.

You have a Private Message (check your inbox in the extreme top right corner of this page).

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)