in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-24-2009 5:24 PM by The_Beonic_Man. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-19-2009 12:00 PM

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

First thoughts on my new Beosound 3. (Long post)

From my previous posts some of you will know that I was looking for a BS3.

I bought one ex-display from a B&O dealer with a full 2 year warranty- I decided not to buy from eBay after some words of caution on this forum. I was a little apprehensive at first, given some of the comments about it, but my initial thoughts are as follows:

It looks even better in real life than in catalogue pictures, it looks very much like a baby BS1, complete with automatic aerial, red led readout, and aluminium grill (I have a silver BS1, so the look is very similar).

I had a Bose Wave Radio CD, complete with remote control; I was initially reluctant to forego remote use, but have found that once the controls on top of the BS3 are used a few times they become very intuitive. I love the circular scroll wheel and soft touch aluminium, it makes me yearn for a BeoCenter 2!

The sound is MUCH better than the Bose, even though it's mono, it has excellent clarity for both speech and music.

I was also worried that I might not be able to pick up radio clearly as I had an external aerial attached to the Bose, and the BS3 didn't allow for connection of one. 

I needn't have been concerned as the reception is excellent on the stations I listen to-Radio 2,3, 4, and Classic FM-although not so good on some others. This is not a problem for me, but I still think provision should have been made to connect an external aerial in case of poor reception for those used in a fixed setting, e.g. by the bedside.

As I have a BeoSound 2, I already have a good selection of music on SD cards, much more convenient and quieter than the Bose; it could only play standard cds, so 60 minutes of music was the maximum, with the BS3, even at a very high bit rate, I can fit 10 cds on 1 sd card. The Bose was also mechanically noisy when playing cds, and had underlying circuit noise (I assume) as it hissed even when volume was at zero!

There are a few negatives here however:

Firstly I don't understand why the sleep timer, or whatever B&O call it, can't be used with the SD cards, only the radio, this limits its functionality, I think.

Secondly it should be capable of recording to the sd card from radio. I know the BS4 can do this, and I think it ought to have been implemented here.

Finally, and especially given the recent Digital Britain Report :( DAB, for all its faults, ought to have been included. I know it's not clear where radio is going over the next few years, but the addition of DAB might have futureproofed it somewhat.

In conclusion, despite the caveats, I really like the BS3 and would be happy if it could give me a decade of full functionality; I suspect that vested interests in the government, the BBC and DAB radio manufacturers will mean I get significantly less than that if they have their way and the radio section of the report is implemented in 2015, and the BBC FM stations are switched off.

Steve

• 06-19-2009 7:12 PM In reply to

Re: First thoughts on my new Beosound 3. (Long post)

Hi Steve,

I too like my BS3 very much. Its great 'little' products like this from B&O that so often capture my attention. I have other products from B&O around the home yet the BS3 gets used more than any other. I have it wall mounted in my kitchen and I simply carry it around with me whenever I am on the move. I listen to it when I am gardening, washing the car or washing the dishes.

Sadly, my BS3 is currently being checked over as she's been feeling a little bit poorly recently! I have been getting some shocks when plugging in and out of the charger and it isn't holding the charge more than a few hours at best. Apart from these problems though, she's been doing just fine!

Simon. 

• 06-19-2009 7:34 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Glad you like it !!  A good purchase. I initially was sceptical about the BS3, then it grew on me - as most B&O products do..

My personal opinion is that it only just edges the Bose Wave Radio on sound quality though, but that's my own ears - we're all different..

As for DAB - yes, i would have a BS3 in my kitchen at this moment.. if it had DAB. However, a Roberts RD-20 sits there instead - playing Gaydar, Chill FM and Kiss FM to my wife and I on a daily basis.  How many more losses B&O have felt through not having DAB on a portable radio i can only wonder..

Simon - you quite rightly mention 'the little products' - and i can tell you now i'm SO looking forward to seeing the reaction to the B&O 'Alarm Clock'!

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-19-2009 11:57 PM In reply to

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

Thanks for the replies.

Simon, strange coincidence-just after reading your post I touched the BS3 and got a strange tingling on my  finger when I moved it across the top panel. Is this what you mean by a shock? it feels weird. Doesn't happen when unplugged. What is the cause of this and can it be fixed?

Hope I don't have to have it sent away for weeks, as I've only just got it!

Best, Steve.

• 06-20-2009 3:34 AM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

I get the tingling too... apparently it's normal. There have been a few posts about this-

Try running your fingers up and down the side of it while it is plugged in.....

Anyway congrats and enjoy.

• 06-20-2009 3:57 AM In reply to

Steve,

Good post - I'm sure you will enjoy Bsnd 3 even more a time goes on.  I've used one since 96, and it has been away camping several times as well as getting used an an almost daily basis in and around the house. 

I also take it out and about when doing first fix Beolink cabling jobs in houses ( like a builders DeWalt - only better ! ) In fact, a few orders have resulted from its casual use in otherwise empty houses :-)

Aside from dab, I wish it had shuffle for the SD card, but the sound from FM and SD is superb - everyone who hears it in use is impressed.

Enjoy it.

DJ

Bang & Olufsen of King Street - Manchester,UK. SKYPE - beokingstreet

• 06-20-2009 4:05 AM In reply to

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

Thanks DJ, you can play tracks in a random order, is that what you mean by shuffle?

Play tracks in random order… 

> Press A MEM, then STORE in quick succession. A new, randomly 

selected track begins playing. The setting for random playback applies 

until you cancel it. 

> Press A MEM, then DELETE in quick succession to cancel random 

playback. Tracks are then played in order. 

Do you get this tingling when you touch the case and move you fingers?

Steve.

• 06-20-2009 5:52 AM In reply to

Great - thanks.  I suppose I should know that Sad!!!!!!

The tingle is only there when plugged in - some Beolabs do it too - Lab 6000 in particular.  Nothing to worry about, or so I'm told.

Bang & Olufsen of King Street - Manchester,UK. SKYPE - beokingstreet

• 06-20-2009 6:40 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Bose vs bang&olufsen car audio!!!Whistle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esk8OFx7QFw

• 06-22-2009 11:11 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

stevnp:

Firstly I don't understand why the sleep timer, or whatever B&O call it, can't be used with the SD cards, only the radio, this limits its functionality, I think.

This is incorrect. 

For a wake-up timer, just press A.MEM after pressing TIMER (and setting the wake-up time) and before pressing STORE.  This will cause the current A.MEM track to play at wake-up.

For a sleep timer, just select A.MEM after you set up the timer.

Stan

• 06-22-2009 11:29 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

ed7:

Bose vs bang&olufsen car audio!!!Whistle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esk8OFx7QFw

What the hell was with their test track, i can't believe they compared those systems! Of course the B&O is going to sound better... dah!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-22-2009 7:17 PM In reply to

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

Hi Stan, thanks for your reply.

I know that the alarm can be set to either the SD card or radio. But I've looked at the manual and tried your instructions, but I can't get it to sleep from the SD card. Have you tried it and got it to work?

Steve

• 06-23-2009 3:11 PM In reply to

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

Following Stan's reply, can anyone confirm that the BS3 sleep timer will work with AMEM?

I can't get it to work- it would be great if it did.

Thanks,

Steve.

• 06-23-2009 4:04 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

You busted me Smile  The sleep timer part I just read from the manual without trying it (the wake timer I have done many times)...  I will give it a try and let you know.

Stan

• 06-23-2009 8:14 PM In reply to

stevnp:

Thanks for the replies.

Simon, strange coincidence-just after reading your post I touched the BS3 and got a strange tingling on my  finger when I moved it across the top panel. Is this what you mean by a shock? it feels weird. Doesn't happen when unplugged. What is the cause of this and can it be fixed?

Hope I don't have to have it sent away for weeks, as I've only just got it!

Best, Steve.

Hi Steve,

Sorry its taken me a while to respond to you. When I first bought my BeoSound 3 new from the dealer it worked fine without any shocks and the battery was charging properly. However, it soon developed a known fault with the top of the unit not responding to finger touches so it went back. The problems all started soon after it came back with a new replacement top part. That's as much as I can tell you. The dealer is currently trying to sort it out for me. The shock are mild and I am used to them now! My main concern now is that it doesn't hold the charge for more than a few hours only. That is obviously useless and means I can't use it as I want to.

Simon.

• 06-24-2009 9:00 AM In reply to

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

Thanks for the reply, Simon, do you actually mean shocks as opposed to the slight tingling when the fingers are moved across the surfaces of the BS3.

Steve

• 06-24-2009 5:24 PM In reply to

Yes I do mean shocks, definitley not tingling!

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)