in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-23-2009 9:33 AM by jonnyw. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-23-2009 6:19 AM

• jonnyw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-23-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Beolink 1000 problem - constantly changing channels

I have a Beolink1000 remote, which I believe to be a Mk3 (according to diagram posted here - it has the light button, and the top section on the back of the remote is one large section rather than split into 2). 

The control, controls a Beovision LE 6000 TV

Something changed recently, and now whenver there are batteries in the beolink, and the TV is on, it simply changes channel down constantly.  Pressing any other buttons (including the off button) has no effect whatsover. 

This has left us with problems, as the TV itself only has on, and step (change up) buttons, which can be a pain once we get past channel 5, and need to scroll up through the other 50 or so channels back to channel 1!

I've tried replacement batteries which has made no difference. 

I was wondering if this is a known issue, or if anyone has any suggestions as to how to resolve this?

Replacements on ebay seem to be going for approx £40-50, which I feel is too much for a 13-17 year old TV, that might pack in any day.  The only alternative is to buy a generic beolink 1000 compatible remote, which I'd really rather not do, as I love the looks of the B&O Beolink remote itself. 

Does anyone know of a fix to this?

Jonny Smile

• 04-23-2009 6:41 AM In reply to

Re: Beolink 1000 problem - constantly changing channels

Hello Jonny,

welcome to the forums!

It's obvious that the button is now somehow electrically stuck. Does the button itself look to be at the same height than the others, or does it feel any different (don't try to pry it up though, the rubber breaks easily)?

Has anything been spilled on the remote sometime in the past, or have the batteries leaked? That often corrodes the circuit board inside, creating shortcuts and all kinds of misbehaviour. It might need a simple wipe with isopropanol or in the worst case a dip in an ultrasonic cleaner.

But it might still be a good idea a buy a new (old) Beolink 1000. They keep their value - if your TV breaks, you can probably sell the remote for about the same money you paid for it before, or with a little luck even more. And your current broken BL1000 will sell as well, even if you don't want to fix it yourself!

-mika

• 04-23-2009 7:10 AM In reply to

• jonnyw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-23-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

It's obvious that the button is now somehow electrically stuck. Does the button itself look to be at the same height than the others, or does it feel any different (don't try to pry it up though, the rubber breaks easily)?

Has anything been spilled on the remote sometime in the past, or have the batteries leaked? That often corrodes the circuit board inside, creating shortcuts and all kinds of misbehaviour. It might need a simple wipe with isopropanol or in the worst case a dip in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Embarrassed Many thanks for the reply.  I'm actually really embarrased I missed that!

I took the remote apart, attached batteries, and tried it without the buttons, and it worked fine.  I reset the keypad in its cover, put back on the remote and it still works. 

I did notice a small amount of brown grease looking stuff on the green PCB (button side) and on the underside of the rubber buttons themsleves.  Is this normal, or will it need to be cleaned off with some sort of electrical cleaner?

Many thanks again for the advice.  You might have just saved me £40 Smile

• 04-23-2009 7:27 AM In reply to

• jonnyw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-23-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Almost spoke to soon.  Put the screws back in, and it started again.  As I untightened them, it stopped. 

Took it all apart again, and this time lifted the opaque plastic cover from the green PCB (I hadn't even noticed this was a cover last time) and there was something white on the "channel down" button.  I wiped this off, and put it all back together, and it seems to still be working. 

If anyone can comment as to whether the grease should be there (underside of the keys, and ontop of the opague covering to the green PCB) I'd be greatful. 

Also, in true DIY style, I ended up with some left over bits after I'd put everything back together!  There are two black, rubber (or plastic) things left over - a similar shape to the screws for the remote, but smaller still.  Does anyone know off hand where these go?

Many thanks again, Jonny Smile

• 04-23-2009 8:51 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi Jonny.
    I think you'll find that the 'grease' is actually a concoction of sweat, nicotine, crisps, coke and coffe.
    Next time you pull it apart, clean it all off with isopropanol or similar.
    The liitle black rubbers are half of the rubber feet that have snapped off in the past leaving half behind to fall into the remote.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-23-2009 8:52 AM In reply to

As funny as it may seem, the slime under the rubber pad is actually grease from the users' fingers Ick! Some older remotes can be really awful in this respect... it oozes through the rubber.

I've seen at least two kinds of Beolink 1000 internals - older remotes have some kind of copper/brass clicking things that make contact on the circuit board when you press it through the rubber button. These are attached to a plastic membrane that keeps them in place. You apparently took a peek under that and cleaned away some oxidation, which seems the right thing to do. Other remotes (manufactured later?) make contact directly with the rubber keypad, it has black conductive coating on the buttons.

The slime can be washed away under hot tap water, but don't put the actual electronics in there, just the keypad. Elsewhere, it can be wiped away with a cloth dampened in isopropanol (or IPA, or isopropyl alcohol), and that should work for the oxidations under the contact mat as well. But if your remote works now, just let it be!

Those leftover bits may be the plastic feet on the underside of the remote, or the remains of them. They typically wear off flush with the bottom, and you may have never even noticed them before.

-mika

• 04-23-2009 9:02 AM In reply to

• jonnyw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-23-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Wow thank you both of you.  Two answers, almost simultaneously posted with the same advice.  You must both know your stuff!

The previous owner of the TV was a smoker (it took months for the TV and remote to stop smelling) which along with grease from fingers etc will probably explain the mess. 

I'll leave it be for now, and if I ever need to open up the remote again (or it starts oozing through!) will clean it up then. 

Thanks so much! Big Smile

• 04-23-2009 9:11 AM In reply to

jonnyw:

Wow thank you both of you.  Two answers, almost simultaneously posted with the same advice.  You must both know your stuff!

Jandyt has probably done dozens of them, I'm still in single digits! Laughing But these problems are pretty common in remotes, no matter which manufacturer. B&O is different in that they are worth repairing, and you can actually get spare parts for them...

-mika

• 04-23-2009 9:33 AM In reply to

• jonnyw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-23-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

B&O is different in that they are worth repairing, and you can actually get spare parts for them...

And now if ever the TV breaks in the future (providing the remote is still working), I can get some money back for it on eBay!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)