in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-15-2009 10:09 AM by lausvi. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2009 2:15 PM

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

MCL2A and Beocenter 9000 : will these work together?

Hello all.

I have got a B&O Master Control Link 2A -unit with it's original box and manual (!). It includes the main connection unit with the grey cover and the transceiver unit with cable between those. The unit was described to have been never used - and it really looks very clean.

Could I use this with my Beocenter 9000 to form a two-room system? As far as I see, yes.

I would need the 3-pin DIN cable from the speaker 2 connectors to the MCL - is this still available from somewhere, B&O themselves or some other company?

The MCL has a speaker protection setting inside (for different wattaged speakers). My current installation is a Beocenter 9000 with Beovox S-75 speakers that are rated 4-8 ohms. What impedance the second room speakers should be to avoid troubles? I understand that the MCL box has a protection circuitry as the BC so there should be no danger but... 

The installation won't happen soon anyway as the mute-relay of the BC should be replaced first...

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 01-23-2009 2:43 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: MCL2A and Beocenter 9000 : will these work together?

They will if your Beocenter 9000 is above a certain serial number, or has had the Beolink SW fitted. There should be a label on the rear I believe. Sorry, but I don't know the serial number. Used to have a Beocenter 9000 myself. It was a 1986 model so quite an early one. Mine did not have the required software.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-23-2009 3:06 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

I can't check it now (the BC is on the shelf and it's too late to start lifting it out and back). I did wrote the serial number to a piece of paper before installation (just for the moments like this :) but I can't find that! Embarrassed I have a faint idea that it would had the sticker saying something like "DATALINK SW". I will check tomorrow. This is an early BC as this has the bronze strip in the front but I believe it was 1988. 

If not I have a relative with a Beomaster 5500 and more suitable house. Stick out tongue But it would be great if this would fit my BC - at least I'd love to try it.

• 01-23-2009 3:17 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Peter, knows the serial number. So I am sure he will post a reply.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-23-2009 4:02 PM In reply to

Should have a sticker with Beolink on the back. Actually don't know the serial number ! Laughing

• 01-23-2009 4:08 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Peter :

Should have a sticker with Beolink on the back. Actually don't know the serial number ! Laughing

Peter, I was sure you had posted it on several occasions.Huh?

CraigSmile

• 01-24-2009 1:58 AM In reply to

• Mico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-06-2007
    • Finland
    • Posts 136
    • Founder

Hi Ville,

I have used BC9000 in different MCL configurations. My BC is also with the bronze strip, from 1988 and its sn is 6750267. In 1988 B&O had a campaign when you got the MCL2A for free if you purchased the BC9000 and Beovoxes Smile. The sticker mentioned above is black, placed in my case above the phono socket stating with capital, white letters BEOLINK.

I am lucky to have to possess a lot of original dealer/installation manuals for MCL setups in Finnish. I can loan you these when you move ahead with your plan. The manuals explain how to set up protection for the system. The MCL-cable and plugs are is still available as spares. You can solder them yourself or buy it ready-made.

• 01-24-2009 7:22 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Hi threre.

I was getting so interested that I took the BC off the shelf to check. And yes, the BEOLINK sticker is there!

Do you mean I could get the 3-pin speaker cable/plugs from the local B&O shop? That would be great. I will get one as soon as possible and then have a test installation. Then I will consider possible fixed installation. Then I would like to have a look on the manuals you mentioned. The protection you mean; electronical or "physical"?

Does it make any importance what is the impedance of the 2-room speakers? As the ones on the main room are 4-8 ohms would this cause trouble if the 2-room speakers are also lower impedance? I don't have any other B&O speakers but this could be a perfect excuse to buy some Wink

• 01-24-2009 9:29 AM In reply to

• Mico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-06-2007
    • Finland
    • Posts 136
    • Founder

good news for you then!

Yes, you can have. Naturally I would recommend fixed installation or running the cables in covers. Welding the plugs is not a difficult task. The protection is done with the small wheel inside the relay box. The Watts of the speaker are visible. The figures are based on 8 ohms. To be sure you might want to set the wheel to a lower figure. Contact me with a PM when you need the manuals.

Finally a warning. You will be bitten with a Beolink virus and you are going to end having a multi-room setup with lots of remotes and speakers and other B&O equipmentBig Smile

• 02-15-2009 10:09 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Two weeks ago I was able to bought a 10 meter-long MCL cable from my local B&O shop. Price was 45 EUR. The cable looked like brand new so I guess they are still in production (or they have a huge stock of these left).

Today I finally had time and courage to work on this. The main problem was the relay inside the BC that I should replace before having any sensible use for the MCL system.

I took the BC9000 open and replaced the faulty relay (that had forced me to use the speakers 2- plugs in the main room as the relay wouldn't give equal output on both channels). As some of you might remember, I had a shocking experience year ago when I tried to replace it, I made some stupid mistakes and poof, smoke and bang! I had to take the BC to the official B&O service and they fixed it; it costed some 700 EUR! Devil That was not the BM I had now, but since that I wished to have one and finally I bought the one I have now. But because of the shocking experience I didn't have much courage to start replacing the relay.... until now. 

Replacement went Ok and the BC is working nicely. I was so relieved!

I made a quick test by running the MCL wire to another room with small speakers... connected them up... and test: it works! Even the installation was very quickly made and looked horrible I was still able to feel the highly practical approach and the magic this kind of system could give in a better installation. Some day when I have more space I will love to hook this thing up and enjoy it.... Yes -  thumbs up

And Mico, yes, I am already bitten by the BeoBug. Eventhough I don't have much use for a multiroom installation I still have a lot of B&O stuff around and no intention to stop collecting.... Stick out tongue I will send you a PM about the manuals.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)