in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-05-2008 1:56 AM by mangajpp. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2008 1:37 AM

• mangajpp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-04-2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

record clamps

Hello, all. I just got a RX2, which I like very much. I'm thinking about getting a record clamp/record weight, but I'm concerned that the "floating platter" on the RX2 won't take the additional weight. 

Does anyone have any experience or advice about using such an add-on? 

• 12-04-2008 4:22 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: record clamps

Hi and welcome to BeoworldSmile

I suppose a lot will depend on the weight of the record clamp as to how much it will affect the sprung chassis. The chassis is suspended on leaf springs spaced equidistant around the sub-platter and these are adjustable to give the height required. The vertical tracking angle of the styus is affected by the height of the record but how much difference in real life this makes I'm unsure. My concern would be the constant extra weight causing stress & fatigue to the leaf springs over time. To be honest the tonearm & tracking weight of the styus is so light I wouldn't think a clamp would be necessary on the RX-2.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-04-2008 4:29 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The vertical tracking angle depends on the record height - or, in other words, record thickness. That's correct but the tonearm sits on the same subchassis as the platter so riding a little lower due to record weight (or an eventual clamp) won't affect the tracking angle.

I agree with Chris in that a clamp won't normally be needed unless playing a very wobbly record in which case I would seek to "set the record straight" (sorry, couldn't help it) using one or more of the old methods or use a light clamp to just hold the record down firmly, gripping the center tap rather than using gravity.

Martin

• 12-04-2008 5:53 AM In reply to

The springs are adjustable so you could set them to ride high but to take up the weight of the clamp. Record support didn't seem to be a priority for the later decks!
  • 12-04-2008 4:47 PM In reply to

• mangajpp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-04-2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

thanks everyone! I'm glad to be part of the beoworld. I'm considering the Pickering Red Button Clamp: http://www.pickeringuk.com/cfb.html which is, as Dillen suggests, a proper clamp rather than a gravity weighted stabilizer. 

I'm mostly just tweaking because I can at this point -- the table sounds so good. Maybe I should just save my cash for a Beogram 4000! 

• 12-04-2008 4:53 PM In reply to

Actually the RX2 sounds pretty good anyway! I would spend the money on a new cartridge - a good soundsmith one probably!
  • 12-05-2008 1:56 AM In reply to

• mangajpp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-04-2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

I have the MMC 3 on there now. I've heard great things about the soundsmiths ... are they really that awesome?

My name's Jim, by the way! Thanks, Peter. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)