in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-14-2008 6:33 PM by TripEnglish. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-13-2008 12:02 PM

Experience of BV 4-65

Dear All

Thank you all for a brilliant community! 

I am about to purchase the BV 4-65 or BV9. I prefer the 65" due to its size but as far as I know the display on the BV9 is of newer version. It is a significant investment for me so I will avoid making a "wrong" investment.  Do some of you have any first hand experince with the present 65" panel regarding its black level and general picture quality? Is a newer panel for the 65" likely to be launched in the coming couple of months? Have anyone an idea of when the 100 Hz (or rather 96 Hz) will be implemented? And finally, is the BS3 to be upgraded to version 1.3 anytime soon (so that we can enjoy True HD and DTS Master audio) ?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards

• 08-13-2008 4:36 PM In reply to

Re: Experience of BV 4-65

Hi

I don't know about the system 3 software but I can say the 65" is absolutely fantastic - Forget about Hz, contrast ratios etc... Just look at the picture! Even in standard definition it is absolutely amazing with deep, rich blacks and fantastic colours. In HD it is stunning. The Beovision 9 is a lovely TV but imo, a 4 65" coupled with a Beolab 10 in in a different league altogether (which is saying something considering we are talking about a £15,000 Bang & Olufsen television). If I had the money I would definately be giving one a home!

Any other thoughts guys?

Llewelyn

• 08-13-2008 5:00 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Ahmet1:

I am about to purchase the BV 4-65 or BV9. I prefer the 65" due to its size but as far as I know the display on the BV9 is of newer version.

I was of the opinion that it was the other way around? I thought the new BV4 had a D10 Panasonic panel?

Even the previous BV4-65 had a superb picture; better than the BV7-40 MKIII. You won't go wrong with the new BV4-65. It can only be a better image than the BV4-65 (D9 panel) at my dealer and that's 10/10.

If you want to discuss True HD and DTS-HD support in the BS3, simply start a separate topic which may receive one or two replies. Gulp.

• 08-13-2008 5:21 PM In reply to

An upgrade may or may not be needed to enjoy True HD and DTS Master. There is a somewhat lengthy, I think somebody actually called it epic, thread here discussing the issue.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 08-13-2008 5:28 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:
    An upgrade may or may not be needed to enjoy True HD and DTS Master. There is a somewhat lengthy, I think somebody actually called it epic, thread here discussing the issue.

Razlaw, I don't think that 'added' to the conversation. Hence my irony in the previous comment. Please do not tell potential BS3 owners that it supports True HD. It definitely does NOT support DTS-HD.

• 08-13-2008 5:48 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

In the real world True-HD does not make a huge deal of difference. It's there in the first place to provide a fantastic sound and frankly, even a poorly set-up and chosen B&O surround sound system will outperform pretty much anything you'll find on the market.

RE the BV4-65", yes it is an exceptionally good TV. The BeoSystem 3 is what really makes it though, and how well tied-in it is with the BeoSystem, and as a result, the picture produced. The 4-65" when driven with a BeoSystem 3 is the only television I've seen of that size which produces a good picture with standard definition (which is usually unwatchable on a screen of that size). In fact, with standard definition, it's jaw-dropping, let alone HD.

Especially with the latest innovation, ie the colour re-calibration every 100 hours of watching. A very clever solution to a problem which could otherwise cause issues!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-13-2008 6:01 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

In the real world True-HD does not make a huge deal of difference. It's there in the first place to provide a fantastic sound and frankly, even a poorly set-up and chosen B&O surround sound system will outperform pretty much anything you'll find on the market.

RE the BV4-65", yes it is an exceptionally good TV. The BeoSystem 3 is what really makes it though, and how well tied-in it is with the BeoSystem, and as a result, the picture produced. The 4-65" when driven with a BeoSystem 3 is the only television I've seen of that size which produces a good picture with standard definition (which is usually unwatchable on a screen of that size). In fact, with standard definition, it's jaw-dropping, let alone HD.

Especially with the latest innovation, ie the colour re-calibration every 100 hours of watching. A very clever solution to a problem which could otherwise cause issues!

One could equally say that Blue Ray doesnt make  a huge deal of difference on a large proportion of discs compared to upscaled dvd- and that would be largely true

But when its good- its good- same argument applies for HD audio and more investment in these codecs every month. If your spending this kind of money I would want the dealer to confirm in writing that the product supported it.

• 08-13-2008 6:09 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

One could equally say that Blue Ray doesnt make  a huge deal of difference on a large proportion of discs compared to upscaled dvd- and that would be largely true

Colours are definitely richer on a Blu-ray DVD. There's definitely a difference. Whether it's worth paying almost double for the 'experience' of improved colours and so on, is another matter!

I would imagine an upscaled SD DVD on the BV4-50 would look decent. As the BV7-40 MKIII is so pin sharp, you see any scaled-up imperfection.

• 08-13-2008 6:11 PM In reply to

moxxey:

Razlaw:

Razlaw, I don't think that 'added' to the conversation. Hence my irony in the previous comment. Please do not tell potential BS3 owners that it supports True HD. It definitely does NOT support DTS-HD.

I come from America where we actually believe in free speach.  We also believe in letting people make their own informed decisions based on all available information. If you would have taken 3 seconds or so to actually read my post, you would have seen I did not express any opinion in it, merely said there was a forum already discussing it in response to your absurd suggestion that a new thread be started on the topic. 

• 08-13-2008 6:17 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

I come from America where we actually believe in free speach..

Oh dear. I forgot that America works very differently from the UK or, say, Germany. Of course.

You've given your opinion a fair few times. Point potential BS3 buyers at the other discussion and let them read it through.

• 08-13-2008 10:35 PM In reply to

Check the other thread now, Beopaul indicates that B and O has confirmed that the BS3 supports up to 192kHz.  Beopaul has asked the forum moderator to confirm that it is acceptable to post  actual correspondence from B and O and if it is, the actual correspondence will be posted.

• 08-13-2008 11:49 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Be nice Wink All humans make mistakes.

I'm interested to read these comments about the picture of such a big screen being so good in every source, THATS A BIG FEAT!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-14-2008 4:20 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

You get D10 on both sets and the very same BeoSystem 3. The BeoVision 9 will give you the option to hide stuff inside the television (like HDR-2, BeoMedia 1 or BeoMaster 5 etc) and to attach your set-top-box to the back of it (and you can easily hide the connection box for the BeoCenter 2 on the stand behind the BV9). But above all the BV9 will turn and it is such a clever design: the screen is at the correct height above the floor without looking out-of-place.

If these things are less important to you than screen size - go for the 65".

Roger

• 08-14-2008 9:05 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Roger:

You get D10 on both sets and the very same BeoSystem 3. The BeoVision 9 will give you the option to hide stuff inside the television (like HDR-2, BeoMedia 1 or BeoMaster 5 etc) and to attach your set-top-box to the back of it (and you can easily hide the connection box for the BeoCenter 2 on the stand behind the BV9). But above all the BV9 will turn and it is such a clever design: the screen is at the correct height above the floor without looking out-of-place.

If these things are less important to you than screen size - go for the 65".

Roger

Beomaster 5??

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-14-2008 9:15 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

BeoMaster 5 is the storage unit for the BeoSound 5, and will replace the BeoMedia 1 as a built-in option for the BeoVision 9. Current owners can retro-fit the BeoMaster 5 when launched.

Roger

• 08-14-2008 12:52 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    355f:

Colours are definitely richer on a Blu-ray DVD. There's definitely a difference. Whether it's worth paying almost double for the 'experience' of improved colours and so on, is another matter!

I would imagine an upscaled SD DVD on the BV4-50 would look decent. As the BV7-40 MKIII is so pin sharp, you see any scaled-up imperfection.

Plasma seems to produce a softer image than LCD, simply due to the technology and as a result, does a small, but slightly noticeably better job than LCD with standard definition. There's not much in it, but it's enough that it disguises the DVD compression bi-product.

Generally though, LCDs on the market are either way too soft, or so pin-sharp that they either mask all the information in the DVD to try and make it watchable, or show up everything. The BeoVision 7 has the ability to get the best of both worlds - pin-sharp accuracy, but it's far better at producing a clean image than anything else which shows this 'pin-sharp' accuracy. Impressive picture processing...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-14-2008 2:44 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

Plasma seems to produce a softer image than LCD, simply due to the technology and as a result, does a small, but slightly noticeably better job than LCD with standard definition. There's not much in it, but it's enough that it disguises the DVD compression bi-product.

Generally though, LCDs on the market are either way too soft, or so pin-sharp that they either mask all the information in the DVD to try and make it watchable, or show up everything. The BeoVision 7 has the ability to get the best of both worlds - pin-sharp accuracy, but it's far better at producing a clean image than anything else which shows this 'pin-sharp' accuracy. Impressive picture processing...

Definitely. A very clean image. It shows it 'as is'. For most HD sources it's absolutely superb. Of course, for low-quality SD - such as the Aston Villa game on Five right now - it again shows it 'as is', with all the problems with the poor SD signal.

As I said above, the Olympics on HD, via the BV4, look superb - better than on my BV7. It's too sharp. I might even turn down the sharpness.

• 08-14-2008 6:33 PM In reply to

Within a few weeks (at least here in the US) The BeoVision 9 will be using the D10 like the BeoVision 4s. I'm sure it's the same for EU. Both will also have the ACM feature. 

I noticed the epic thread almost crept into this one a bit! A single thread can't contain such a topic! 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)