in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-20-2007 6:47 AM by jackafrica. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-19-2007 4:20 PM

• jackafrica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-08-2007
    • Tasmania, Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Silver Member

What's the best method of cleaning - internally and externally

I've purchased a 5000 system, 5005 turntable, 5000 cassette deck, CD50 cd player, beomaster 5000, a couple of remotes with at least one which lights up and RL 45-2 speakers. Delivery to me will be on Saturday ( Oz time ). The excitement of it all, my first B & O.

It has been in storage for 6 years, obviously not covered or protected. In short itis putrid filthy.

Before I do anything or think about turning it on, please advise me of the best method/materials/solvents for cleaning both internally and externally, there will be dust buildup and who knows what else internally. 

I've no owners manuals for any of the components, or any directions for the connections. 

No doubt there are others out there who would benefit from knowing how to correctly clean these older pieces.  

Thanks in advance 

cheers richard
  • 12-20-2007 4:33 AM In reply to

Re: What's the best method of cleaning - internally and externally

You first thing should be to get the larger lumps of fluff out.

If you simply blow it, you will probably get a mouthful of crap as the dust flies about, counterintuitively this is because when you blow you create a fast airflow but also a low pressure zone, similar to a ventuari effect. Result is that the dust goes into your mouth.

You can buy small cans of compressed air instead, but first I would simply use a vacuum cleaner but make sure to keep it clear of the item, do not touch it with the nozzle or you risk damage.

Next job, get yourself a small paint brush, and very gently brush the muck out, you want to blow any loosened stuff away.

I tend to then use a 1inch brush with shortened bristles to gently scour the board, shortening the bristles makes them less bendy.

I put the brush on one spot and just wriggle it around on that one location, I do not sweep it or drag it about.

You have to be really careful though, if you feel any components have some movement or play in them, its best not to do this or you risk damaging soldered joints.

Use of solvents is a difficult one, the main worry is that something too agressive will at the very least remove compnent markings, or could seriously damage variable resistors etc.

Other solvents leave a film behind which then attracts dust again.

Even mild solvents on old components can cause damage.

Its very slow, but cotton buds are your friend.

When you do resort to cleaing, a word of advice, make sure the item works first, clean a small patch, test it again, its lengthy but if it suddenly stops working you will know the area to look, and the chances are that a connection has been distrubed.

If you do it all at once and it doesn't work, you won't know hwere to start.

• 12-20-2007 6:47 AM In reply to

• jackafrica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-08-2007
    • Tasmania, Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Silver Member

Re: What's the best method of cleaning - internally and externally

Thanks Dave, that's as comprehensive an answer as any bloke could want.

I'm well armed with cotton buds and a formidable array of brushes.

I particularly took note of your comment to try to fire the piece up first and foremost.

Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated. 

cheers richard
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)