in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-27-2008 5:47 PM by tournedos. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-27-2008 3:58 PM

I am doing something wrong, is there something wrong with the speakers, or it is just bad decision?

I asked here few days ago http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/91712.aspx   if BeoLab 4 PC were suitable for background music for a really small livingroom party of 10.  After that, I wanted to use them as bedroom speakers.

So I bought the full version of BL4 last night and I connected them to the PC. Regardless the SW or the music, the sound is coarse, harsh, just bad.

I tried all 3 positions and placements.

At the BO store, the sound was pretty good.

Am I doing something wrong or this is just bad decision? Can these speakers I bought be defective? It seems that they will not be good enough even as bedroom speakers.

What is the next best option, long term?  BeoLab 2? What to do? I need speakers for this Friday, but I don`t want to be stuck long term with something I don`t like, nor to drop on BL2 a few grand unexpectedly like this.

Advice grealty appreciated. 

• 02-27-2008 4:07 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: I am doing something wrong, is there something wrong with the speakers, or it is just bad decision?

Can you try them on another source? If they sound the same I would take them back and speak to your dealer.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-27-2008 5:06 PM In reply to

Re: I am doing something wrong, is there something wrong with the speakers, or it is just bad decision?

I would suggest the sound card. The Beolab 4 is not my favourite speaker but it doesn't sound that bad! I agree with Craig - try another source - what about an iPod?
  • 02-27-2008 5:09 PM In reply to

http://www.amazon.com/Xitel-HFL-A1-X1-XITEL-HiFi-Link-Mac/dp/B00006I601/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1204150009&sr=8-2

You have a case of bad line out I guess. I have the same issue with my Imac. You could try something like the above. I am using a airport express even though my mac is right nexct to my bs9000.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 02-27-2008 5:43 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Could just be placement. I've found them to be much more sensitive to correct placement than other B&O speakers. I'm not quite sure why it is, but it's definitely worth just trying them in some different places in the room (some rooms will naturally sound 'bad' and result in a poor sound, no matter what the system).

It's also worth running them in a bit. They do sound very harsh at first, but will loosen up a little after about 15 hours of playing (that's what I found). Don't expect smooth and seamless midrange/treble though... they're always a little harsh towards the upper mids...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-27-2008 5:47 PM In reply to

I agree. At least get a 10 €/£/$ second hand CD player and try that as a source before blaming the speakers (well, you'll need some means of adjusting the volume too).

Most integrated PC sound devices, and cheap to midprice audio cards are utter crap soundwise if you use the analogue output. You don't need BL4's to prove that :-)

-mika

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)