in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-15-2011 9:31 AM by Dave. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-14-2011 6:47 PM

• sheets
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-14-2011
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Who are B&O's main suppliers?

Hey guys, I am doing a project on B&O for college and am currently in the middle of a poters 5 forces analysis (fancy business term for general analysis of where power lies within the company and it's industry). Anyway I have run in to some trouble trying to find information on who supplies B&O for most of it's component parts? Or does the company make all of its own components and materials for its products? Would really appreciate if anybody had any information on this or could perhaps point me in the right direction. 

Many thanks!

• 04-14-2011 7:09 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Who are B&O's main suppliers?

Welcome to Beoworld !

I am almost sure that Bang & Olufsen A/S would be the place to ask.

Martin

• 04-14-2011 7:14 PM In reply to

• sheets
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-14-2011
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Sorry A/S?

• 04-14-2011 8:15 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

A/S is short for Aktie-Selskab ( Share Company ).
    www.bang-olufsen.com

Martin

• 04-14-2011 11:22 PM In reply to

One of them...

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-15-2011 4:47 AM In reply to

sheets:
    Anyway I have run in to some trouble trying to find information on who supplies B&O for most of it's component parts? Or does the company make all of its own components and materials for its products?

You might need to clarify what level of component parts you are talking about.

If you mean sub-assemblies (e.g. a CRT, a CD drive) then Phillips was once a major supplier.

Lately it has become Samsung supplying flat panels or even most of a mobile phone.

I hope you don't mean components at the level of valves and switches Laughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 04-15-2011 4:50 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

One of them...

Do you have many of them in your garden Trip?

• 04-15-2011 4:58 AM In reply to

• sheets
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-14-2011
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Sorry if I was vague. Yes I mean general sub asemblies for their products. I am trying to find out how much power the suppliers have within the industry B&O opperate in. Since they produce very specialized and differentiated products, I assume they produce a lot of the products themselves? Yes I've heard Samsung have been working with them recently. Would these be a main supplier, and do you know of any others?

Thanks 

• 04-15-2011 8:49 AM In reply to

Samsung and apparently Sharp have provided LCD screens, Panasonic provide the plasma screens. Pioneer supply DVD drives and there are a variety of speaker driver manufacturers involved. Quite a bit of the automotive electronics come from Germany - I can't remember the make - and in common with a lot of makes, a fair amount of electronics generally will be from China. The aluminium is anodised in Denmark!

B&O used to make all sorts of things themselves, right down to the wire! This was gradually reducing but in the early nineties, a big reorganisation occurred which got rid of all that. Read Breakpoint for more information.

• 04-15-2011 9:31 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Well they still make their own electronics in alot of (most) areas, everytime i've repaired / explored a piece. The circuit boards are almost always made my B&O. It's things like CD / DVD drive assemblies, speaker drivers and screen tubes etc that they need provided for them, which makes complete and utter sense... Provided they choose the components very carefully and don't source lemons, which has been a wry a few times, sadly.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)