in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-02-2010 11:22 AM by Bentleyman. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-30-2010 3:53 PM

Connecting a DVD player AND a set-top box to Avant

Hello All,

I have an old 1998 Avant VCR (with curved screen).

I have a sony set-top box connected to the Avant plugged into the A/V socket.

The VCR scart socket is occupied by the in-built VCR.

I would like to connect a DVD player, whilst at the same time keeping both the set-top box and the vcr connection.

The only available Scart socket remaining is marked 'Decoder'. I've tried the DVD in this Decoder socket but to no avail.

Could anyone help me get this DVD player (a Panasonic) connected by explaining which socket each device should be plugged into..?

I have been advised that it's the DVD that need to go in the A/V scart, and the set-top box in the Decoder scart - but then the decoder needs to be 'activated' from an internal menu.....?

I'm getting confused..!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Michael

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 04-30-2010 4:45 PM In reply to

• jgn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Dublin
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Re: Connecting a DVD player AND a set-top box to Avant

Michael,

I have an Avant with the curved screen with a Sky Box and Sony DVD player. The connections that work for me are DVD to the Decoder Socket and Sky Box to the A/V socket (sounds like it should be the opposite but it works).

On the Menu (Sources), it says that AV is Set Top Box and Decoder is Auto.

I have an old Beo 4 so I use the CDV option but pressing DVD on one of the newer remotes works as well.

It might be old (1997) but the Avant has tremendous sound and picture and it still looks good.

John 

• 04-30-2010 5:23 PM In reply to

Hello John,

Did u say you have your DVD in the Decoder scart and your Set Top box in the A/V...??Confused

This is what I have tried so far....and the DVD dont work....Hmm

Going into the Menu...into Sources I have options : V.Aux, Special Decoder, Decoder-2, Non B&O V.Tape 2, V.Tape 2,S-VHS V.Tape 2, CDV.

I dont seem to have a 'Set Top Box' or an 'Auto' option....Hmm

I think this is something to do with a setting that I'm not doing right - but reading my Avant manual (downloaded off this site)...doesnt seem to help.

The one thing I havent tried yet is putting the DVD into AV socket and the Set Top Box into Decoder....but if I did this I think I will get the DVD working but lose the Set Top Box connectivity.....

...even more confused now!

Michael

BS 7000, BS 5500

• 05-01-2010 5:44 AM In reply to

Hello Michael,

I also have an old Avant VCR with connected DVD-Player (DVD 2) and a Set Top Box (Technisat).

I think you will need an additional Set Top Box-Controller, which was not standard in the Avant in 1998. With the controller you can use the Beo 4 to remote your Set Top Box (if supported).

In the Source-Menue then you can choose DVD for the AV-socket and SET TOP BOX for the DECODER-socket. When pressing GO on Beo 4 at SET TOP BOX you can choose your type of SET TOP BOX (i.e. Sony).

I hope the Set Top Box-Controller is still available (contact your dealer). It will work fine!

Regards (sorry for my not perfect English!)

Räuber

• 05-01-2010 4:24 PM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

Hi Michael

There are two ways to do what you are trying to do. The quick and easy way is to connect your DVD player to the phono sockets behind the LED display on the top right corner of your Avant. If you didn 't know they are there, just pull out the cover between the headpone socket and the Svideo socket. You will see three phono sockets. The yellow is video input and the red & white are stereo audio in. As soon as you power up the DVD, the Avant will automatically go to this input.

The second option is to get the software in your Avant updated. Once this is done, the next time you select the connections menu, you will see that you have the option of assigning the decoder socket.

Regards

Opman

• 05-02-2010 9:40 AM In reply to

Thanks to those who offered me advice on this...

But unfortunately I cant get connection with my Avant - so I'm gonna give it one more try with an MX4000 and if this dont work - i give up!

If anyone reading this wants to buy a Panasonic 'portable' DVD player together with a B&O device allowing remote control over it - plus all cables and connections, give me a shout! (I bought this stuff from Lifestyle AV).

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

BS 7000, BS 5500

• 05-02-2010 11:14 AM In reply to

Hi Michael,

but why no software-update for your Avant or installing a settop-box-controller, this would solve your problem by the option of assigning the decoder socket, means you could connect your settop-box AND your DVD-player?

/Räuber

• 05-02-2010 11:22 AM In reply to

Hi Raeuber,

My Avant is old & not worth spending any money on it to be honest. Probably not worth £100 now!

So, i'll probably swap it for a Beovision 5 before too long anyway.

If I wanted to stick with an Avant I would swap it for a late model RF 32" DVD version, rather than messing about with an old 28" VHS.

Regards.

Michael

BS 7000, BS 5500

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)