in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-13-2010 7:26 PM by lespaul1. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-12-2010 9:22 PM

RX2 "DOA" after just changing belt!

Hi All!

I bought a B&O RX2 used, and have been using it for about 6-7 months & loving it! However, The belt was stretched out, a little shot <slght variance in speeds etc.>So I bought a replacement belt for it & changed it..Seemed pretty straightforward to do<so I thought>...I simply removed the platter, then took the two Phillips screws out of the bottom to get the top part of the plinth loose, actually I just opened it about a 1/2 inch enough to get the belt out, to get to the motor pulley & I replaced in the same path it was before without disturbing anything <wires etc> & put it all back together. Now...It doesn't seem to power up anymore? I must have disturbed something inside, but I do not know exactly what...Any ideas? I checked the usual stuff...I found no broken or loose wires, & I checked the power supply fuse ect. no deal, fuse is FINE...

Is there a "interlock switch"in there or something else I don't know about? It's not making any noise at all now, and platter won't spin, motor is not even making a sound...The A/C outlet is OK, as I have a TX2 also, & it works perfectly!   

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!THANKS IN ADVANCE! 

I am using the TX2 until I solve this issue, but I miss my RX2!  

-MT

Filed under:
  • 03-13-2010 2:04 AM In reply to

Re: RX2 "DOA" after just changing belt!

I would guess that you have disturbed a wire or cracked a solder joint. I have never had to undo any screws to replace a belt though it can be a little fiddly I agree. I think it is probably a question of simply checking the integrity of the circuit and tracing the power. If you are as useless as me, most dealers still have access to service facilities, though most are now independent. My local repairer is busy working on a Beolit 600 - he has borrowed the service manual! 

• 03-13-2010 2:26 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Welcome to Beoworld !

Check that the front panel switch (a tiny board with two leads going to it)
    is in it's correct place in the vertical slot behind the front at the right side and will produce a
    little click sound when pressing the front panel "start" button.
    Check that no wires are trapped inside when the right screw is tightened.
    Another check is the belt itself. Check that it is of the correct size and correctly mounted,
    running in the center of the motor pulley and not catching on anything, the chassis
    or the underside of the top plate.
    Not all B&O belts are off-the-shelf sizes and not all belt suppliers manage to sell
    suitable sizes. A way too tight belt may keep the motor from rotating.
    Still no luck, check the fuse(s).

Martin

• 03-13-2010 10:48 AM In reply to

Thanks Peter & Martin, I will look at it again today...

The power supply fuse is definitely "good" I checked it w/ a meter. The motor doesn't spin at all, with or without a belt, so I have to rule that new belt out too. It was the first thing I checked actually.

I will check that little switch board w/ the copper contacts on it though, that could be a possibility for sure. I have also downloaded the schematic, but it's pretty tough to read...I am somewhat electronically inclined, so that will help a little...

I should have just left the 20+ year old, crappy belt on it eh  ;)

Thanks for your replies!

-MT

• 03-13-2010 10:53 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

You do realise that it won't start without a record...?
    Sorry for asking, but it's no secret that a lot of owners don't know.

Martin

• 03-13-2010 11:07 AM In reply to

Yep, I knew that kinda from reading the posts...

I think it runs though for like 3 revolutions without a record on it <or for a few seconds & then shuts down> when it was working before. It is not even doing that now.

Thanks for asking!!!!  Anything that you can think of like that will probably help...

-MT

• 03-13-2010 11:37 AM In reply to

YAY!!!!

Guess what? It's up & running again!

I knew this was a power issue, so I took the fuse out again, and checked out the fuse holder..It had some gunk? or some minor corrosion on one side of it. I cleaned both sides real good while I was in there w/ a small wire brush, reinserted the fuse, fired it up again & the motor started turning!

I cannot believe that is what it was!  Anyway...It's up & running...

Thanks for your replies & your help with this!

It was driving me crazy!

-MT

• 03-13-2010 1:16 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Good job !
    And thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated.

Martin

• 03-13-2010 7:26 PM In reply to

Thanks! I just got lucky on that!

Thanks again for all the help.

-Mark T.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)