in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-30-2009 10:32 AM by Beo5Boy. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-29-2009 8:18 AM

Waking the Beo5?

How is the Beo5 woken (turning on of screen and backlights) after it has been idle (off charge) for a short while? The reason I ask is that mine does not wake if I pick it up by touching only the metal body, but if I then touch the back of the screen with the other hand it comes to life. If I pick it up touching body and back of screen it works fine. Is this a "feature" or a problem? I think it used to wake by touching the body only but can't be sure!
    Filed under: ,
  • 09-29-2009 9:19 AM In reply to

Re: Waking the Beo5?

A very warm welcome to Beoworld. If the Beo5 is not on the charger and you touch the metal it should come alive. I have tried it on mine several times and it does come alive. What I would say however, is that it takes more than one touch sometimes to trigger it. In practical every day use, I find its actually quite difficult in normal use to pick the Beo5 up without touching the back plastic as well as the metal case, for that reason it generally comes alive when needed.

Regards Keith....

• 09-29-2009 9:31 AM In reply to

Thanks for the reply, I have 2 boys and was trying to get them into the habit of picking up by the main body rather than the screen, which is when we noticed this happening. I agree that normally you would probably touch ball and screen as you pick it up so not a major issue, but could this be a sign of a problem I should raise with my dealer?
  • 09-29-2009 10:07 AM In reply to

The triggering of the wakeup uses the "capacitance" effect which will be effected by the impedance of the users body at the time of touching the Beo5. If someone has damp hands for example when touching the Beo5, then the effect is likely to be greater and therefore more likely to trigger first time or with a lighter touch needed.

Because the triggering is effected the users body impedance and everyone is different, it is unlikely to be a problem with the Beo5 unless it never triggers.

Regards Keith....

• 09-30-2009 10:32 AM In reply to

Sorry if it feels I’m getting hung up on this, but I've not had it long and I'm fairly sure it worked correctly when I first got it and now I've noticed this it's annoying me! A little more detail may help, last night I played about a little to try and get to the bottom of this. So here goes. With the Beo5 sitting on the wall charger the very lightest of touches to the metal body wakes the beast. But when off charge the Beo5 is normally either stood up or laid down (depending on who is about!) on the coffee table and from either of these positions it will not wake unless the body and back of the screen are touched at the same time. I got my son to try, thinking it may only be me it doesn’t like! But no same results for him. Next I washed my hands and dried them only enough so my hands were damp but not wet, still no change. I think I'll mention to my dealer as the Beo5 needs to have its configuration amended.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)