in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-28-2009 6:40 PM by Peter. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-28-2009 6:05 PM

Help with lossless files

Hi all,

As the proud owner of a BS5 (installed yesterday) I'm coming to terms with upgrading my iTunes library to iTunes+ which is taking hours. What I am not sure about is 'lossless' files. I am assuming this is about the best quality I can expect but how do I achieve them? Are the 256 files 'lossless' or do I have to do something else to them. Sorry if this is simple to you all but as I say its all new to me!

Thanks

Gary

• 08-28-2009 6:16 PM In reply to

Re: Help with lossless files

Lossless means that the compressed files can be decompressed and sound identical to the original - MP3 compresses the music but you lose information and so is lossy. I use 320kbps AAC but this is still lossy. I cannot hear the difference but some people think they can. You need either WMA files or Apple lossless. If using the BS5, WMA is your choice. However before you start re-recording your entire collection, what does it sound like to you? Mine sounds pretty good!

• 08-28-2009 6:25 PM In reply to

Peter

Thanks, I have to say that the tracks I have upgraded so far to iTunes+ sound good but what a long process 3 mins for each track and I can only do them one at a time. You may have seen an earlier thread where i said I was dissapointed that no mention is made of the DRM issue when looking to but the BS5. I find that of my collection which is only about 1300 tracks only 250 and be upgraded to remove DRM as these are older tracks. No mention in any B&O literature about this.

Anyway you mention Apple lossless and WMA, when I want to buy a track from the iTunes store can I specify any of this?

Thanks

Gary

• 08-28-2009 6:40 PM In reply to

No - 256 is as good as iTunes does. When iTunes upgraded, I got a message offering me the chance to upgrade all the tracks I had bought - not very many. I actually tend to simply buy the CD and rip from that. Up to 33,000 tracks at present.

You can of course burn your tracks to a cd or DVD and then rip them back though you will lose some quality - costs almost nothing though.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)